Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where do Lego Designers get their Inspiration?

MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 579
So on the news this morning there were talking about the New York Fire Departments and I noticed that something looked very familiar...

As you may observe, the bottom of the building has a large resemblance to the base of the Fire Brigade. 

This led me to think about what other real world models have inspired/used as inspiration for Lego Designers and where these resemblances are? Anyone know of any because I'm curious if there is anything else out there like this?
KingAlanI

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,401
    Hey, hey, hey!

I wonder if they have a ping-pong table and a refrigerator full of sausage?

I would be very happy with a Chinese Restaurant Modular...
    kiki180703tallblocktoo
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 579
    edited February 2016
    After some skimming of the database...

#4338 (2005) and #41553 (2015)
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    Some people will say they get inspiration for Ideas submissions...
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    They just look back at sets from the last five to seven years, blow the dust off, add a "new" graphic design here and there, perhaps add a few more cheese slopes, and voilà a new release is ready for consumption!
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    I hear they make them look at pictures during their induction. They have to look at the same images for long periods apparently. I only know of one image that's used that was leaked, this one:

Bumblepantskiki180703
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,828
    Lots of places. Competitors' products, kids' TV shows, successful past LEGO sets, online and printed reference material, and sometimes even traveling to places of interest. For instance, the team that developed Ninjago traveled to the Iga Ninja Museum in Japan for inspiration early in the development process.
    KingAlanI
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 704
    edited February 2016
    ^^ There was another leaked image. This one is referenced constantly.

MattsWhatkiki180703
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,742
    For the first year or two of Ninjago, they watched the TMNT Lost Episodes.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    If you want inspiration, all you have to do is to walk around with your eyes open. Observation is the mother of imagination which is, in turn, the origin of those inspired ideas.

That sounds trite, but it's true. Most of us spend half of our waking hours working and the other half worrying about the minutiae of life. We rarely "switch off", and if we manage it, we're still constantly clock-watching for the time when it's due to come to and end. A couple of times a year we force ourselves to take a break, but often choose locations (beaches, woods, ski-resorts) where inspiration for LEGO constructions is in short supply. And we're still worrying about the next meal, or the kids, or how to get somewhere before it closes.

On the other hand, if you can genuinely switch off and wander around without a real purpose, you can see things that are hidden in plain sight and they'll rattle around and give birth to ideas. If you can also be paid to do that, so much the better!
    MynattRsa33kajoloAdzbadboykiki180703ricecakecatwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,362
    ^ yeah, I think ideas come easier when you do not try to force them. don't even think about finding ideas, when you take a walk, or watch a movie, play a video-game, etc from time to time you'll come accross something that makes you think "oh! cool!", and then you have your idea.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    edited February 2016
    ^  ^^

Or.....

Like some really fantastic w**d. :P.   * = E
    KingAlanI
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited February 2016
    ^^ I think JJ Abrams gets a lot of his ideas from watching movies. ;o)
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 326
    From pictures of Turkish mosques
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,823
    From their childhoods, presumably - I mean, I'm assuming that Chima and Nexo Knights are the product of designers (or perhaps the same designer) waxing nostalgic about Thundercats and Visionaries respectively. I'm starting to wonder what 80s cartoon property they'll rip off/be inspired by next (and I say that as a fan of both themes)...