Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to contact LEGO's legal team? (Day Pitney LLP)

Where can I get in contact with Day Pitney LLP, LEGO's US legal team? I have something I need to be resolved. I was originally in talks with Bob Nielson in June 2015 to resolve it, but half way through, he randomly stopped replying to my emails (after being very helpful, however).

Comments

• Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,530
    Can't answer  your  question  but love  your channel! 
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 299
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247
    hoodaddy said:
    How would I specifically get to the LEGO legal team by calling the number? Should I just ask for them?
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    I think you'll never reach them directly by calling them, being that they're a huge firm and they're really busy, and have people to answer and take messages for calls out of the blue. Your best bet is probably a letter or email contact that will be forwarded to the correct department and replied to at their earliest convenience based on how serious your query is. 
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 299
    I would think your best bet if you call would be to ask for a paralegal on the lego account. Trying to speak to an attorney right off will get you a voicemail that will never be returned. If you can talk to a paralegal, you can explain your issue and they would relay it to an attorney. Be sure to get the name and direct number of the paralegal, so you have someone to follow-up with. Just my two cents. 
    jesirosejust2good
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    Lol, you need to have you attorney contact them for you.  Someone's getting paid one way or the other for the contact, they don't talk just for fun.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    Google LEGO Day Pitney and you'll get a couple of blurbs with the names of the attorneys who handle LEGO.  
    just2good
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    It's entirely possible that a decision was taken to ignore you.

Typically, if claims are ignored, it means you're not doing anything they care about. But they're not prepared to send a letter because they have nothing to gain by doing so and can still change their mind later.

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    I've dealt with Bob in the past and he's always been very helpful. I guess he probably got tired of discussing things with you hence now ignoring you.
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,416
    ^
    (That is the third lesson in the universal book of lawyering.)
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    edited September 2015
    I recently found out that it can cost you £100+ just to get an email sent by someone in the legal profession (with minimal useful content!) so it's not entirely surprising they would want to limit the amount they do for free. Its all about the $$$$$
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    Big companies have the option to bring legal work in house, so they actually get much better deals. I've worked with a lawyer who charges £280 per billable hour, but only £85 when he works for a big publisher that provides half of his company's work.
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 191
    edited September 2015
    Okay so I'll ask. @just2good would you care to share why you want to contact the legal team?
    Mandalorian_BuilderSumoLegokiki180703ryjay
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,416
    ^  And if they happen to be looking for another attorney, PM me....
    kiki180703
    dfurn said:
    Okay so I'll ask. @just2good would you care to share why you want to contact the legal team?
    Trying to see if they can remove a strike on a YouTube video that I got back in June 2015 for uploading a news video with Captain Phasma at the time. I thought it was fine because the Instagram user acted like he had a special connection with LEGO or something to show it early and already had it for sale, and they already showed the real character from the film. It's limiting me from doing videos over 15 minutes and 30 seconds, which is putting a halt on my quality.

And, thanks for all the response y'all. I doubt it's a money thing, and think that Huw and others were right- maybe Bob was just getting tired of the whole discussion. It's just odd that his last message was that he'd follow up later in the week or a later point in time, but I never got a followup. He's a really nice guy, though.

I'm thinking I'll just email another one of the LEGO legal people with Day Pitney association like hoyatables suggested, but please, any new suggestions and advice is welcome. I'll be checking back here constantly. :)
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    Wait... So TLG shouldn't be able to send out take down notices to protect their unreleased products?  What a novel concept.
    kiki180703
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    Legal concerns aside, I probably don't have my finger on the pulse of the Lego video watching community, and I honestly can't sit through a YouTube video longer than 10 minutes, but maybe having a video shorter than 15 minutes could be a good thing. I feel like most reviews could be done in 15 minutes. It's not a walkthrough of the Louvre.
    just2goodjesiroseSumoLegodougts
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    ^^ This.

I love JangBricks, Brick Show, and several other more obscure channels (BrickTsar is hilarious, AFOL Man is a funny guy, Alex Nunes has a huge city, etc)....the one commonality that annoys me about all of them is the length of the video reviews and time spent rambling about things that aren't related. 

MasterBeefy
    No, I agree with reviews. I'm just concerned now because I really want to do playthroughs of LEGO Dimensions on the channel, and that game comes at the end of the month. I don't wanna split up a level playthrough into parts, I think that'd be super lame.
    LegoTTMasterBeefyPurploros
    edited September 2015
    Dedgecko said:
    Wait... So TLG shouldn't be able to send out take down notices to protect their unreleased products?  What a novel concept.

I never said this and I don't appreciate the sarcasm. I just stated my reasons on why I thought uploading the video would be fine, but because of the results of what happened I can see why it wasn't. My friend had the same situation happen to him for the same type of videos (some Episode 7 sets stuff) after I got my strike, but they resolved it with him. I don't want this turning into a thread about whether what happened was legally just or not, so let's steer away from there.
    MasterBeefymadforLEGO
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    edited September 2015
    just2good said:
    No, I agree with reviews. I'm just concerned now because I really want to do playthroughs of LEGO Dimensions on the channel, and that game comes at the end of the month. I don't wanna split up a level playthrough into parts, I think that'd be super lame.
    Makes sense to me- good luck!  You gained one subscriber today, at least. Haha
    roxioMasterBeefyjust2goodPurploros
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    Who did you receive the takedown notice from?  LEGO may very well do that through their in-house team. And you will not bring yourself into LEGO's good graces by contacting their $700/hr attorneys over something as minor as this. 

Try with Bob again and then let it go.  As a private attorney for other large companies...trust me.  
    mr.piggleskiki180703
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    You could always retain your own attorney if you're serious.  Attorneys will speak with other attorneys more readily than with random people who don't necessarily understand the law.  These guys don't want to waste their time giving you a lesson on IP law.
    icey117kiki180703