Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO carbon footprint

Big_SalBig_Sal UKMember Posts: 37
Hi all,

I recently blogged a calculation of the carbon footprint of my Lego purchases in 2014. Spoiler alert: I worked out that buying around 20,000 new bricks in a year makes me responsible for about 330 Kg of CO2 emissions, which is roughly the same as a trip from London to Glasgow and back in a small efficient car.

As someone who cares about the environment, it's a relief to know my hobby probably isn't too damaging. Of course, that figure doesn't take into account things like travelling to shows and LUG meetings, which is probably not too bad for me since I mostly display locally, but could get quite large for those who travel far and wide in the name of Lego.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know if anyone else has thought about these things or tried to work out their own Lego-related impact on the environment? Have I missed anything in my calculations?

(Whether or not you believe in climate change, please let's not bother debating it's existence here. There are plenty of other places to argue about that if you really want to. Oh, and mods please move this if it's in the wrong place.)

Comments

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,406
    I know for a fact that my 87 carburetor golf 1.6 (which is very thirsty) gets abused when I'm on a LEGO hunt. I've imagined that the savings I make may be nullified by petrol costs. Then I thought........ Naaaaah.
    roxio
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,308
    not too bad, though at the same time it's only 30 to 40 kg of legos. actually I have no idea if 330kg per person is sustainable.