Pick a brick Spanners

Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 55

I was rather surprised to discover spanners in the pick a brick wall at the weekend.  I don't think I've ever seen minifig accessories in the PAB before, might this have been an error in store?

Has anyone else had any particularly unusual PAB finds recently?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    edited August 2015
    This was intentional. The August mini build model (the jeep) has the tool clipped to the side of it
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    If you mean the black wrenches, they are part of this months mini PAB build. 
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 55

That's interesting, but this was a PAB wall in the UK and as far as I know we've not had the Pick-A-Model (not a great idea IMHO) added to PAB walls here yet.  Hence my surprise.

@oldtodd33 Alright, "wrench" if you insist, but I'm still gonna call them spanners! :)

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    Few people here would call it a spanner, generally it's a term for a fixed width wrench.
    madforLEGO
  • CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
    I saw this, and I too was a little stumped as to why this happened. 
    Shame it's a one off and we're not going to see much else in the way of minifig accessories in PAB anytime soon.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    edited August 2015
    @oldtodd33 - they're commonly called spanners in the UK.  It's also a slang term for an idiot  :)
    I do love these cultural differences! 
    Ian_SAndorkiki180703The_Mad_VulcanShibVorpalRyu

@CoraHarrison It'd be lovely if it wasn't a one off, there are quite a few minifig accessories that I'd happily grab a few handfuls of at PAB prices!  But I fear you're quite right. 

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,449
    @Ian_S They've been re-naming the PAB walls from Pick-a-Brick to Pick-a-Build. In the UK this seems to consist solely of putting new signage above the wall (without losing any space). Apparently a lot of people thought the elements were for decoration only, so they've added the signage to encourage more people to buy from it.
    jesirose

@Paperballpark Ah, yes I saw the new sign first at Watford, though I didn't think it looked very "on brand" myself; I seem to recall the colours were a bid odd to my eye.  Have to admit on my first visit to a Lego store way-back-when I assumed they weren't for sale because they were behind the tills.

jesirose
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I was tempted to buy a cup full just so that I'd never need to get another spanner ever but then I realised I already had a lifetimes supply of ten!
    jesirose
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,216
    Ian_S said:

I assumed they weren't for sale because they were behind the tills.

This is exactly the problem and no amount of signage will change that from a new customer perspective - I say this as a sign maker, people go blind to signs, no matter how obvious it seems!
    Ian_S
    @Kevin_Hyatt I grabbed a small handful which turned out to be 51.  What I'd really like is to see mugs appear, then I can fulfil my dream of creating a rather meta Mug of Mugs without breaking the bank!  But that's never going to happen.
    jesirose