The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Goodbye Lego, my kids first "dark ages"

jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281

I really hope something changes down the road but this Winter Village rerelease did my kids in.  They have had a ton of fun collecting new sets and look so forward to seeing the new Christmas set each year and were quite let down.  "We have that one, where is the new one?".  Sorry.  It's been a tradition each year to open the set Dec 1 and set up the village.  The first Toy Shop is what got them collecting and playing City.  The Advent Calendar (which have gone downhill as well) that year was also a treat.

Now, it is not just on that basis alone.  In 6 years, their City has gotten smaller and smaller additions each year.  Except for the Town Square (which was crazy expensive for kids), they had their City sets bought already at the beginning of the year.  Very little NEW ideas have come along.  Does Lego realize there have been 6, yes 6, versions of a Police Station.  Be it a Forest or Swamp or regular Police station.  Seriously?  My daughter HATES Friends sets.  She is 6 and won't even look at them.  The don't mesh with the City they have built.  Yeah, I know, replace the dolls with figures.  But why should I have to tell her Friends are made so girls have their own sets.  My kids like to play together.

They have found much more enjoyment now in Playmobil.  They make sets Lego will NEVER think about releasing: a church, a zoo, a school, and so on.  That's fine with me, I will support what they like to play with together, plus the sets are fun to get as my son now has a friend in Germany and gets stuff sent to him personally.

Hopefully something will change, but with all the license stuff coming, I don't see it.  I will still buy the modular buildings as me and my son like to build those together on summer vacation.  I guess that is unless they decide to rerelease those.

Comments

• NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    Rather than look forward, why not look backwards? There is a lot of good City sets released over the years, try and get hold of them. Buy maybe your kids are addicted to new Lego, then buying used might not suit.
    ew027
  • (1)Stein(1)Stein GermanyMember Posts: 29
    I feel with you, It's like a tradition. Just ruined through sheer laziness on TLG's part. I could be OK with them rereleasing the WTS, but not if it's the only release this year! Just a dumb move on TLG side!
    FollowsCloselycrazycarl
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    I totally agree about the staleness of the town theme. A visit to the Playmobil shop in Berlin last week really rammed this home. They had a big ambulance and hospital set in the front of store and kids were loving it. 

• NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    Ah! I put up a display of vintage 9V train with crane etc. The kids loved it. The unloading and loading went on for forever. Put a table of Playmobil and Lego next to each other and Lego would win.
    I do suppose children play with Playmobil today the way I used to play with Lego, role play etc. That has gone out of the window and been replaced with purely building to display.
  • brownbricks720brownbricks720 Cleveland, OhioMember Posts: 47
    I struggled with the city theme when I was younger. Right around 2007 I was about to give up Lego because my friends had all moved to video games. Then Lego came out with the Cafe Corner. Since then I've been hooked. I am not sure if your kids have any of the modulars. It might be a good challenge for them and add some extra buildings to the town. We all go through phases with toys. They may just need a little break and soon be back building. 
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 501
    I totally hear you on the City sets. One of my kids is only into City and it seems that a lot of sets are just rehashes of stuff he already has. 

However, instead of grumbling that there isn't a new addition this year, you can build your own! Make a candy shop, an indoor cafe, a cozy inn, cookie shop, ice skating rink, tree lot. There are a ton of possibilities. Skies the limit! You and your kids decide what to build, you will be amazed at how many little creative things your kids will add to whatever you decide to add this year. If in the future TLG releases something similar to what you build, you might even pass if yours is better!

Just my 2 cents.
    libelulexVorpalRyuMasterBeefy
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,365
    edited August 2015
    I completely understand the "too many police stations" and "I don't like the Friends theme" and all the other sentiments, but (and don't take this as a blind defense of LEGO the corporation) these things sell. That's why they keep coming out with new versions year after year it seems. They test new themes all of the time. I've only been out of my dark ages for 3.5 years and I've seen several smaller themes come and go, but police stations and vehicle rehashes reappear. And that's because they still sell. They realize exactly how many police stations they have released and until people stop buying them they will continue to. The same goes for the Friends line. They are massive sellers. I haven't bought a single set and probably never will, but plenty of people do. 

People enter their dark ages for a number of reasons. For me, it was mostly sports and video games. Then Star Wars came out and I got back in. Then I discovered keg parties and got back out. :smile: Then I found out I was having a child and got back in. It's sad to hear that your kids aren't interested anymore and you bring up very valid points as to why that happened. Unfortunately, though, two years from now another police station will be released and plenty of people will be lining up to buy it. 

I love the idea of creating your own winter set this year. I think that would be a great building/family experience. I may actually do that with my son. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,080
    edited August 2015

there is a school in friends. also, the lego movie has some city vehicles which may not be often seen in city (maybe that ice cream truck). Marvel may have some fitting sets as well, like a 4x4 and an office building I think.

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 532

Are you willing to buy sets not currently available from Ebay or Bricklink?  There have been many great city themes outside the usual Police/Fire.  The airport sets released a few years back were pretty great IMO, many of the power functions trains have been pretty neat too.  Some ideas to expand your city, if you don't already have them:

#3182 Airport

#3661 Bank & Money Transfer

#4644 Marina

#4645 Harbour

#7637 Farm

#7993 Service Station

#7994 Lego City Harbour

I agree that City has been relatively slim pickings the last few years.  I like the current Divers theme, but it's hard to add to an already existing City layout.

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,054
    @akunthita   .... Anna you are correct... TLG does do some oddball things... and when they stray from their "normal" way of doing things... people get upset.  Just look at the uproar that the 21021 Marina Bay Sands Hotel architectural set caused when you couldn't buy it outside of SE Asia, and the architectural collectors got upset.

TLG has done some very odd things for over 60 years.... so nothing they do surprises me anymore.  It took me 40 years to discover that the set I wanted so badly as a kid... and that my (still kicking at 90) aunt spent 2 years trying to find for her favorite nephew.... was never actually sold!!   :o

So I agree that LEGO can be the dream crusher.... but now there is sooooo much to choose from that when I was a kid.   :)

P.S.  The set I could never find was this particular 717 house set in this (first year) 1961 USA Samsonite LEGO catalog....

VorpalRyu
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,375
    I've just come out of the dark ages after the best part of 25 years. LEGO is a completely different beast now, the amount of creative possibilities is incredible. Some of the elements that have been creates and in turn, used in very imaginative ways really is inspiring to me and this will help me enjoy LEGO even more than I thought. Don't give up hope, look at it from a different angle and attack, I mean embrace it. I fully agree with a previous comment about buying a modular, I cannot wait for him to be older so we can both enjoy it equally. He's just a demolition machine right now.
    Natebw
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 954
    Well, as you leave, the new re-release WV will be new and exciting for another family to enjoy and  start their tradition.   If it was newer, bigger, & better always for us, when would new the lego fans ever be able to jump on board?
    VorpalRyumr.piggles
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    So much to collect and one set ruins your kids' interest... lol sounds like a personal problem for them to sort out. Haha I wish I hated more sets. Both my wife and wallet would be happier
    ryjayVorpalRyuMasterBeefyAllBrickBumblepantspiratemania7gmonkey76
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    BACbrix said:
    So much to collect and one set ruins your kids' interest... lol sounds like a personal problem for them to sort out. Haha I wish I hated more sets. Both my wife and wallet would be happier
    How is it a personal problem when there is so little to add to a city each year? Like I said, they got what was "new" right away at the beginning of the year. Lego thinks most kids get out of Lego after 3 years I guess. Not sure why playing with reality based toys and being upset about rehashes is a "personal problem". I played and collected Town sets thru the 80's and always had a variety. Plus I had a castle and space line, which I don't see today. They seen the Playmobil catalog with so many different lines, their eyes lit up again. True, not building toys, but reality based playing. We go to the zoo, the come home and play zoo. Came home from the water park, the replayed their fun experience.
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    jdylak said:
    BACbrix said:
    How is it a personal problem when there is so little to add to a city each year? Like I said, they got what was "new" right away at the beginning of the year. Lego thinks most kids get out of Lego after 3 years I guess. Not sure why playing with reality based toys and being upset about rehashes is a "personal problem". I played and collected Town sets thru the 80's and always had a variety. Plus I had a castle and space line, which I don't see today. They seen the Playmobil catalog with so many different lines, their eyes lit up again. True, not building toys, but reality based playing. We go to the zoo, the come home and play zoo. Came home from the water park, the replayed their fun experience.
    Maybe try diversifying as opposed to collecting only certain themes. Liscneses are what keep Lego fun for me. Star Wars is my theme. Have you looked into other themes?
  • B_HollsB_Holls Member Posts: 41
    I think it was when I went into the 3rd or 4th grade my friends moved on to other things and it was really only me left playing with my Legos. So that lead me to kinda suppress my love of Lego I still bought stuff from time to time but it was infrequent and most of the stuff I bought were display pieces stuff that I felt I would not be judged for having because they looked cool and not toyish. But since then I have been in a perpetual half dark age. I still buy stuff and I keep up with the news but it was never the same. Sorry got a little side tracked but my point is don't force your kids to like Lego, I'd just let them follow whatever path they wish be it playmobil or whatever else. 
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 650
    edited August 2015
    When I was a kid I had 2 lego sets (a farm and a petrol station) donated secondhand by some family friends, and I spent most of my childhood building and rebuilding them. Then I got given a huge box of them form my cousin who outgrew Lego and I was ecstatic. But sooner or later I sort of got tired of the lack of design and buildings being mere fronts and I went into my first dark ages. Came out again for a bit when my sister got me one of the space sets, then went back in all the way until the Parisian Restaurant was first released and I fell in love with it. Now I'm going into my third dark age because I can't afford Lego at the moment with my meagre salary. But I still trawl forums every day looking for a quick fix :-P 
    mr.pigglesvwong19BumblepantssnowhitieMrJ_NY
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    BACbrix said:
    jdylak said:
    BACbrix said:
    Maybe try diversifying as opposed to collecting only certain themes. Liscneses are what keep Lego fun for me. Star Wars is my theme. Have you looked into other themes?

My son liked the Kingdoms sets a few years ago but they really have no interest in anything other then City.  Daughter HATES Friends stuff,  Now after seeing the 2016 Playmobil catalog yesterday, they cant wait until next year.  A true "Forest" line, that has NO Forest police and new Farm and Country sets.  Not to mention the Camping stuff.  Again, more things Lego will never make because those lines don't have enough sirens or fire or helicopters in them. 
    pharmjod
    edited August 2015
    When did your new job as a P-Moobil endorser start. Come on now, LEGO really isn't that bad. You just have to be motivated and have the creative vision to build a Zoo, Water Park etc. Modern LEGO is partly based around accumulating elements from all over and using them together. Friends has a lot of food, animals and other stuff. I found a water slide in a LEGO Juniors fire set (one in a Friends set too).
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    jdylak said:
    BACbrix said:
    Maybe don't buy them everything "new" right away as soon as it comes out? If it's a concern of availability, buy them, but hang on to them so it's not like... taking away all of the excitement. Kids are resilient little buggers, they don't need to be given all the toys all the time to play have fun (or they shouldn't be that way), they'll survive if mom and dad spread out the opening of and addition of new sets to their toys, or if they have to use their skills to build their own buildings from what they have. 

To say that a company releasing a rehash of a prior set "did them in" makes me really sad, because there are so many more important things in life than having more and more "stuff" but that's my teacher coming out.

It's really not Lego's fault that another company has a line of toys your kids like. Great, your kids could still use their imaginations with Lego, to build stuff, but if they're into Playmobil, play with that. Just don't buy them everything they want at once, or they'll probably be bored and quickly looking for their next material high elsewhere.

It's also not Lego's fault they don't currently have lines we remember from our childhoods out. They have more kinds of sets than ever-- super hero, fantasy, under water, etc. But no one's got a gun to their head being forced to buy them.
    Dedgeckoew027MasterBeefyAndor
  • ncbarrettncbarrett Member Posts: 3
    Don't they know how to design their own sets with pieces from other sets?
    Friends sets work just fine with other sets. While my daughter prefers Friends sets, she is happy having any Lego, and combines them all.
    Also, if your kids are going into a dark age, send us their sets. Thanks. ;)
    kiki180703dannyrwwAndor
  • JedijonJedijon Member Posts: 19
    Is it just me or is your use of the term "dark ages" 100% inaccurate?
    BrikingAndor
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 229
    The best thing about Lego is that you can make whatever they aren't selling. But if you're not much of a maker, and you already have a large collection and don't want what's for sale, then maybe you're better off buying a different kind of toy. It's hardly Lego's fault that your kids aren't interested in the hundreds of sets that are on offer, and that they only want "City" things, but only City things that aren't re-hashes, and don't seem interested in building or fixing up whatever's wrong with what's for sale.

Should "City" be considered "Cops and Robbers"? Well, an argument could be made to that effect. But there's also the other civilian stuff, like the Arctic explorers, the coast guard, the construction/demolition, the various service people... really there are lots of kits. The Lego Movie kits for the garbage truck and ice-cream truck are amazing models for adding to the city. The Modular Buildings as well, though they make the rest of the city look weak. There are some creator sets that feature houses, shops, etc. Every year there are lots of good sets in this regard.  Maybe your kids have outgrown the "City" theme?

And don't forget Trains. That's a long-term theme with no bottom. The Train station set, at least, would make a reasonable addition to a city.

Does your city have a team of ghost-busters riding around? Does it have giant bird statues that the minifigs can admire? How about a time-travelling DeLorean? There are lots of sets that aren't City which can be added in.

Finally, re the Friends Heartlake city, I disagree that the buildings aren't a decent fit into the Legoland system city, excepting the figures themselves. Just take the hated mini-dolls and throw them in the fire, or send them to me via post. Meanwhile, the buildings make an excellent addition to your city.

Given that your kids seemingly would rather buy Playmobil than customize a lego kit too much, I'm going to skip the part where I advise you to buy the Museum break-in set and a box of bricks and build a real museum for your town, or any other such ideas. But the sky is the limit when you build for yourself.

In short, I can sympathize that you're disappointed that a theme you follow has a re-release you don't care to get. But you're right: Lego doesn't build their sets with the notion that every buyer already has all the old sets. They have core markets and maybe your kids, with their current collection, don't fit the market. Maybe your kids would rather play with dolls and dollhouses than build dollhouses for their dolls. That's fine! But in that case Lego might not be the best investment for you.
    dougtsAllBrickDedgeckoAndorsnowhitie
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 225
    As others have said, it's not really the "Dark Ages" as you'll still be collecting sets it seems, you're just scaling back a bit.  And that's perfectly fine and nothing to be upset or saddened about necessarily.  Taking a break from Lego and rejoining later is great.  By then perhaps your kids will have different interests and will have discovered other lines of sets.  Lego is always changing, as you can attest to.  Perhaps just taking a break and coming back is a good thing. 

As for the Friends theme, I think they're only offensive and upsetting if you make them that way.  So what if they're "aimed" towards girls?  I wanted to have a ranch type playset, so I bought the farm set.  I didn't care that it was pink and purple.  Same with the Jungle series; I liked the animals and the Jungle setting.  I didn't care it had "dolls". 

Lego is what you make of it, that's the beauty.
    dougtsAndor
  • jesirosejesirose McKinney, TXMember Posts: 52
    Sometimes as a parent you have to teach your kids lessons that aren't always fun as the parent. 

My son has recently gotten into Lego. As much as both my husband and I love this, we still have to teach our son that he's not going to get a new one every time we go to the store, or even in the car. He's almost 4, so this is a hard lesson for him right now. I would assume that an older kid having to learn that sometimes you don't get a brand new thing every time you expect it, and sometimes you're disappointed, well that shouldn't be that hard. 

Both of us grew up in a much lower income bracket than our kids will. I hope we are able to teach them to appreciate their toys and other things as much as we do, and not take them for granted. It is hard, our son does get upset if he wants a toy and doesn't get it, so I know we have to work on that so he understands how lucky he is to have any Lego at all. 

mr.piggles
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,894
    I do get what @jdylak is saying and it is not too different than what many of us have been saying for years.
    The City line is really not a city line. It is kept to police, fire, and one more vehicle related theme each summer. There are other toy lines that yes, have far more real world city variety. 

I think it is important, though, to understand some of the history here in that when Lego was about to go under, one of the items that saved them was going back to the basics and focusing on their core themes...Lego Police. I know we often hear about Star Wars saving Lego, but that was not the only thing. There was a certain amount of 'luck' with Star Wars. HP and Star Wars were BOTH huge when the movies were out, and both had sales drop when the movies were not out. It just so happened at one point, they did not see that drop with Star Wars, and the theme moved into a core theme. Star Wars, core sets like Lego police and Bionicle were huge aspects of their turn around when one goes back and reads the yearly reports. 

Understanding that definitely helped me understand why police/fire are continually redone, although, yes, I wish city would branch out.

Having said that, I do think there are options. 
    You state the following.
    jdylak said:

My daughter HATES Friends sets.  She is 6 and won't even look at them.  The don't mesh with the City they have built.  Yeah, I know, replace the dolls with figures.  But why should I have to tell her Friends are made so girls have their own sets.  My kids like to play together.

I would better like to understand what you mean by your daughter hates Friends. Has she built Friend sets before? Have you introduced her to them? It has the sort of sets one would want in a city. 
    Friends was not so much about girls having their own line as Lego had continually failed to draw girls into their line. There are some very nice advantages Friends sets have. The two in particular that are often overlooked...modularity and attention to detail. The modularity piece is wonderful, because far more than the regular City line, it allows builders a bit of variation in moving aspects of a build about. There are also a far larger number of smaller detailed pieces added, which can ramp up play. Basically, I would never tell my girls that the sets were made just for them, but I would point out that it is a City theme that focuses on other City elements. 

I suspect the Hotel would be a wonderful place to start for both of your kids. The reality is that buildings do come in different colors, and the Hotel really looks substantial, and their is modularity to it as well.  A Hotel is a wonderful addition to a city, and the large amount of white in it, I do believe helps blend it in. 

I am unsure what you mean by your kids like to play together. Why wouldn't they play together with Lego Friend sets??  My son likes them as much as my daughter.
    In fact, one of the best lines ever, imho, was the Lego Friends Jungle theme. It had special features, adventure, animals. It was brilliant.

Honestly, I would give these another go over. Show your kids a video of that Lego Hotel, or just give something like that as a Christmas present. I can't see two kids that love Lego turning their nose up and not wanting to even put it together.

Other options? My son is the opposite of your kids in that he generally dislikes the City theme, although, I have done what I've described above and 'introduced' a set or two to him, and he has enjoyed those.  He likes more adventure sets, sets with special features, etc. We do not look so much at these, but often pick piecemeal. Sometimes it is about a certain set.

Other options...forget about Christmas, move on to Halloween. With Scooby-Doo and the new monster minifigures, this is the perfect time to get into a Halloween theme. What I did was grabbed many of the monster fighter sets when they clearanced out, and plan to open one a year, so it lasts for a bit. I still have Zombies, Castle, and the mad-scientist workshop, which will last us three years. With the addition of Scooby-Doo, I have at least the addition of a year or two as I spread out sets.

My very long-winded points. You have plenty of really good solid options. 

Aanchirkiki180703Toc13Goldfreek
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    edited August 2015
    ^^ somewhat related.  My 2.5 year old recently found the office closet where I was keeping my stash of still in box sets for later building (mostly with him when he got older).  Of course there is plenty of LEGO in my house already, and he plays with it pretty well with his older sister (he doesn't build much yet obviously).

Anyway, he found the stash and one day pulled me in there by the arm, pointed up there and said "build this, build this".  so of course I took one small set down (CITY vehicle) and built it with him watching, after which he took it off to play.

For about three weeks straight after that I would get walked into the room by the arm once or twice daily, with the usual "build this, build this" pleas.  I said "not today" a lot more often than I said yes, but finally I ended up just moving my stash completely.
    Yodaliciouskiki180703

^ I'm in the exact same boat. My son is 3 years old and had a LEGO birthday. Now he knows there is more (A LOT MORE) in Mommy's and Daddy's closet. I get "you find fire truck" or something like it every other day. He thinks it's his own personal on-demand LEGO vehicle supply service.

Luckily, I have all of the unopened boxes completely covered, so he hasn't seen them yet. If he did, his poor little head would explode. They are all for him someday, but that day is far off in the future.

I'm actually very excited for the day I get to give him not just one or two LotR/Hobbit sets, but the entire theme all at once! His little brother is coming in three weeks, so I may just wait until they're both at a good age and make it a Christmas to remember.

kiki180703BrickDancerpiratemania7snowhitie
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,084
    AllBrick said:
    When did your new job as a P-Moobil endorser start. Come on now, LEGO really isn't that bad. You just have to be motivated and have the creative vision to build a Zoo, Water Park etc. Modern LEGO is partly based around accumulating elements from all over and using them together. Friends has a lot of food, animals and other stuff. I found a water slide in a LEGO Juniors fire set (one in a Friends set too).
    The zoo would be a nice theme. So far my zoo consist of many animals: bear, ostrich, camel, polar bear, wolves, pigs, goats, cattle, horses, parrots, chickens, bugs, monkeys, enhanced gorilla, exotic cats and dogs, fish, alligators, and dinosaurs.

i suppose I could brick build an elephant and giraffe, but they are on my endangered list.

AllBrick
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 120
    the friends jet and limo and tour bus would be excellent additions to any city ,i'd buy them if i could, my 2 yr old girl loves lego not a builder yet more demolition ,she makes all the people bald ,i've got alot of sets ,i just modify them slightly  ,i mostly buy the 100-200 part sets ,cheap and cheerful. kids pick what they want to play with ,there's so many great toys out there lego can't own the market.
    kiki180703AllBrick
    ^^ I hear you on this one. I have spent much time returning hats, helmets and hair to their rightful owners.
    Toc13DedgeckoKevin_Hyatt
  • lessjunkfoodlessjunkfood United StatesMember Posts: 47
    edited August 2015
    Same for us regarding Friends. We like how they're different styles/colors/theme options/animals etc, and none of us care that they're targeted at girls. Once it's built Stephanie (or whoever) lives in her excellent beach house for about 30 seconds before Spider Man and Black Widow evict her. Minidolls to the side and on with a grand Vader vs. Dr. Doom battle in a pastel-shaded juice bar!

There's nothing at all wrong with building sets and keeping them as designed, but beware, too much of that and all of a sudden you're raising a junior Lord Business!
    mr.pigglesthedingman5AllBricksnowhitie
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,894
    I think some of that is simply how a particular child plays. Some kids really do want the sets intact, because they use them for story/imaginary play, so breaking them apart defeats the entire purpose for those types of kids. My son engages in both types of Lego play (sets and his own creations), but his sets he really wants to keep as his sets, and we use other Lego for individual builds.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    I can't blame your kids. There's just no wow factor in Lego's anymore. As far as my buys for the rest of the year, I'm down to the last couple things. I want to check the seasonal poly bags, I am hoping to do one order w/ the Lego guy,and that's it unless I can't get enough green brackets through him. Next year is standing at a maybe on one juniors set, maybe on 2 or 3 cheap friends sets, and definitely going to track 2016 Minecraft stuff.

Honestly, the video game market holds more excitement. This year alone is standing at 1 DS game I want, at least 2 older 3ds games, and looking into reviews of  5 3ds games.
  • jesirosejesirose McKinney, TXMember Posts: 52
    The biggest problem I have with the friends sets are the figures not being the same.
    I'm happy to find out I'm not the only one that spends a good portion of my day wondering why all my minifigures are bald. It's the first thing my son does when he gets his hands on one. 
    jesiroseGalactusDedgeckoAllBrick
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    I must admit I was a bit disturbed when, upon finding many torsos scattered about, my son excitedly explained the legs were in the garbage truck and the heads were in various garbage cans.
    mr.pigglesYodaliciousAllBrickMasterBeefysnowhitieOldfangmonkey76
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,080
    I hope it was a lego garbage truck
    jesirose
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    At least the heads weren't in duffle bags?
    gmonkey76
    binaryeye said:
    I must admit I was a bit disturbed when, upon finding many torsos scattered about, my son excitedly explained the legs were in the garbage truck and the heads were in various garbage cans.

He was good until he told you exactly how he disposed of the bodies. Gotta keep that info on the DL!
    jesirosegmonkey76
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,372
    Just to think, every year there's a new bunch of 6 y.o.s to replace the ones they potentially will lose.

#DoesLegoEvenCareAboutInnovativeSets?
    jesirose
    Back to "Friends have some use", I think the hair and headwear looks great on proper minifigures. The hair is all rubbery too.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I collect LEGO and Playmobil (PM.) Both companies offer wonderful products for us to choose from and enjoy. As a woman, I adore the Friends line because of its wild pastel colors and beautiful figs. And the Architecture line and a few other themes. And that you can build anything with LEGO parts.

I also love my PM church, school, hotel, etc., BUT especially their dollhouses, which are just unbelievable. And although it was much more difficult than buying LEGO parts, I have collected enough parts to build just about anything with PM. 

Most folks have more than one hobby and are interested in more than one line of toys. So let the fun begin and spread to whatever you like. Your children will play with whatever entertains them the most and when they feel like it. We have found that it helps to limit the number of sets given to them and let them build what they want when they want to build. One son is 27 now and likes to build a model of a real life building now and then. His daughter is one and is getting into duplo now. It will so much fun building duplo things with our granddaughter as the tradition continues. 

So why can't folks just choose what they want to play with and say what they want about their toys? This forum is well designed for that. 
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,588
    I myself don't really like Playmobil, I used to have the hospital as a kid but I've always prefered Lego. My son is 5 and prefers Lego too. He enjoys building and we try to keep the sets kinda together, but he plays a lot of role-play. I think Lego is perfectly suited for that. We also like the friends models, some nice colours, some great buildings. Yes, we hate the mini-dols. Like another poster we use their hairdo's to mix up our normal minifigures.  Except the Disney ones, they stay untouched :)

I love it that my son is as much into Lego as me and he knows there are sets in the cupboard (some for him, some for me), but he does not ask randomly to get them and they are wrapped in bags and boxes, so he does not know which ones, except for one we bought on a too good to be true sale when he was around. It's fun to do build and play toghether, but if he would change his mind and play with other stuff, that's his perogative. i would be sad if he really would not like Lego at all any more, but on the other hand, think of all the buildings and cars I can then break down to use for MOC-ing ;)

I've MOC'ed my own school, supermarket, etc and have been thinking of making a zoo. We had a small hospital, but I've now broken it down and its in the projects-pile, waiting for new bricks to make a proper one (I made it in bright blue, yellow and red colours which is not how I want it to look in the end). My son plays with all these MOC's, there are a lot of baddies who have robbed the bank, but then batman comes and saves the day. I would really love to get some animals though, might start collecting them.

Agree with Legogal though, to each his own!

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 647
    I had a brief obsession with Play Mobil as a child, but also went through a phase with the dreaded Mega Bloks. This was because Lego really didn't offer anything great to satisfy my love of fantasy at the time (post System-era Castle sets have pretty much sucked, IMO) and Mega Bloks offered wonderfully diverse lines of Dragons and "Pyrates" playsets with all of the gritty details, light and sound action, and playability I just couldn't get enough of (and not a single jellybean knight to be seen). Now I kind of wish I hadn't sold all of them awhile ago...

The point is, as great as Lego is, currently available products can't always offer something a child is really interested in, while there are probably other toys on the market that can. 
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    "The best thing about Lego is that you can make whatever they aren't selling." Maybe in some cases but what r people supposed to do when they need a specific type of part yet Lego is too lazy to make since they're more worried about making the same stuff over and over again??? I am trying to design a dentist office moc. How am I supposed to do that when there's next to nothing that will work for dentist tools? How can I have a swiveling tool tray, xray thing, or light when I can't find the right style of hinges to work with for the scale I'm using(minifigure scale)? I need masks for my minifigure but they don't have the style or color I need and the only head w/ a medical mask is to expensive, mask too small, and a female dedicated head??? Unless I am willing to pay 28+ cents each or swipe the hands from my 2 scientists, how am I supposed to have the right color for hands?
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 798
    edited August 2015
    "The best thing about Lego is that you can make whatever they aren't selling." Maybe in some cases but what r people supposed to do when they need a specific type of part yet Lego is too lazy to make since they're more worried about making the same stuff over and over again??? I am trying to design a dentist office moc. How am I supposed to do that when there's next to nothing that will work for dentist tools? How can I have a swiveling tool tray, xray thing, or light when I can't find the right style of hinges to work with for the scale I'm using(minifigure scale)? I need masks for my minifigure but they don't have the style or color I need and the only head w/ a medical mask is to expensive, mask too small, and a female dedicated head??? Unless I am willing to pay 28+ cents each or swipe the hands from my 2 scientists, how am I supposed to have the right color for hands?
    $.28 is cheaper than a $3.99 CMF, or a $3.50 poly bag (that won't have what your looking for anyways).  You could hunt the build a mini bar at a Lego store.

There are also custom Lego pieces from all sorts of vendors who are making Lego compatible parts, across all genres.  Find a way!

What would you have done back in the 80's and before when minifigs were lucky to have only a set of eyes and a smile?  My goodness, what an unfortunate lack of imagination!!  

What a goddamn Greek tragedy.
    jesirose
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 798
    When it comes to the city/police station issue TLG are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Everyone expects there to be Lego police, fire, etc so they either keep the same set on sale for years and years (and have people moan that its the same set from 5 years ago) or they try and refresh it. As its been pointed out, these sets sell and I think its the right choice to release updates every few years. I don't think TLG expect people to buy multiple police stations, just one a 'generation' of kids. If system is getting a bit boring from them how about technic? My 5 year old is constantly at me to help me finish my Mk ll. He knows its too big for him but he loves me showing him the gearing. I'm going to start him on smaller sets on his 6th birthday. And add another to the 'kids head would explode if he ever saw my full unbuilt stash'. I sorted it the other day and seeing it all out in one place, my head was going that way!