Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Favorite Style of Set

TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 153
I don't know about anyone else, but I classify sets into groups, based on their style of build/playability. There's scene style sets, like the Battle of Endor, which portray a famous scene. They are usually around 1000 pieces and are made up of lots of smaller, 100 or 200 piece builds. Then there are UCS style builds, like the Ferrari F-40 which focus heavily on detail with not much playability. They are mainly for display. Then there are battle style sets, like the Lion Chi Temple, which mainly focus on a battle between two characters. Usually, the set focuses on one main build with the opposing side getting a small, 10-20 piece build.

Which one is your favorite? I personally like scene style sets, but I don't mind battle types either.

Comments

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,037
    I mostly like the display sets like the modulars but I also the lego city sets
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    edited August 2015
    Constraction (buildable action figures) in my case. Which I guess don't fall into any of those categories. I guess some like #70795 could qualify as "battle style sets", but are probably a lot different from the kind of set you had in mind. I still buy and enjoy building plenty of non-constraction sets, but constraction sets are the ones I tend to have the most fun posing, photographing, drawing, and playing with.

If you break constraction into multiple categories (like humanoid, non-humanoid, battle, and vehicle) it's harder for me to say, since I tend to like humanoid and non-humanoid figures about equally. Some are great, some are not so great, but it doesn't really hinge on what type of figure the set depicts so much as how effective I think its design is.
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    I like the big sets, such as the modulars.  I also like the big landmark sets like tower bridge.  I also enjoy the little seasonal sets.
    kiki180703
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 623
    When I actually had time to play with Lego, I enjoyed the mid-size sets that are really easy to swoosh around the room.  Now that my time is more limited, I enjoy building the big sets that display really well. 

Here's an example of a great overall set:  The latest Sandcrawler #75059 was a challenging build that looks fantastic on the shelf, with enough minifigures to set up the scene where Luke meets the droids for the first time.  And if you have time to play, this set has enough play functions to keep someone occupied for hours, and those playability features don't detract from the realistic style of the set.  The perfect mix of style and play, but you pay for that kind of design; not every set can hope to achieve this level of excellence (usually only the larger sets are of the correct scale to pull this off).
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 801
    I like proper buildings (those with proper backs like the modular buildings and Taj Mahal etc) and also anything with great architectural design that is minifig scale (think Medieval Market Village and Airjitsu Temple)