Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO & Geocaching

benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 520
A quick search round the forums shows that this has been mentioned a couple of times but not much - has anybody come across any LEGO in any geocaches?

My wife and I have been into geocaching for a few years, and I just today placed a new geocache not far from where we live (in Huw's neck of the woods not far from Whiteley) designed as a 'minifigure trading post' - the idea being that people can come and swap minifigures (or other LEGO) with ones they find in the cache - it started with a few figures and a small poly bag - I don't think anything's been taken yet! http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC61E75_minifigure-trading-post
jonamokyys4uhkcrazy88

Comments

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 520
    edited August 2015
    Oh, and I also placed a special minifigure in there with a trackable code on his back, called Marvin - his aim is to visit as many cities where there's a LEGO store in the world as possible :D
    jonamokCommanderRaabyys4uricecake
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    In my dark ages a few years back my then fiancé was geocaching every weekend and took quite a lot of my minfigs to leave behind. I had little interest in Lego at the time so didn't pay much attention to what she took but probably should have. I've put together at least 7-8 sets recently from bulk that have been missing figs so can only wonder how many are missing.
    andhe
  • jonamokjonamok UKMember Posts: 20
    Great idea for a cache. We placed a couple of caches up here in the NW a few years back, though never added any Lego. Might just do that next time we visit for maintenance.
  • JayEmJayEm United KingdomMember Posts: 62
    I stuck a CMF Cavegirl in a geocache once because I kept getting multiples of it and it seemed the best way to get rid of them.
    yys4uandhekiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,606
    Yes, my other hobby is Geocaching. I've come across quite a few Travel Bugs which are Lego minifigures. Not come across any actual Lego in containers as swaps though.

I think I noticed a few queries on one of the FB groups yesterday about your cache - specifically whether it violated the commercial guidelines or not. The consensus seemed to be that it was 'A product (or company) that is a part of a generation's upbringing, or deemed a "classic"', and therefore allowed.
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 520
    edited August 2015

I think I noticed a few queries on one of the FB groups yesterday about your cache - specifically whether it violated the commercial guidelines or not. The consensus seemed to be that it was 'A product (or company) that is a part of a generation's upbringing, or deemed a "classic"', and therefore allowed.
    Ah, interesting! What FB groups were these?

I did read the commercial guidelines and decided that it probably didn't contravene them. There are other lego caches out there, too.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,606
    I think it was the Geocaching UK one, but could be mistaken. There's also a tangentially related one on the UK Reviewers Bar group.
  • MilcheaxMilcheax Member Posts: 52
    I use sealed CMFs or polybags to occasionally re-stock the swag in my sole owned cache.

I've seen a number of trackables that are LEGO-based (either in theme or in actuality).

I did see (and solve) one puzzle in Southern New Jersey that was LEGO-based.
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    This is such a cool idea! We did some Geocaching when we still live in Virginia, but we focused on the one's that had stamps in them, and kept the stamps we collected in a Lego notebook. :) I've been meaning to try here in Italy, but haven't done so yet.