Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO & Geocaching

benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 298
A quick search round the forums shows that this has been mentioned a couple of times but not much - has anybody come across any LEGO in any geocaches?

My wife and I have been into geocaching for a few years, and I just today placed a new geocache not far from where we live (in Huw's neck of the woods not far from Whiteley) designed as a 'minifigure trading post' - the idea being that people can come and swap minifigures (or other LEGO) with ones they find in the cache - it started with a few figures and a small poly bag - I don't think anything's been taken yet! http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC61E75_minifigure-trading-post
jonamokyys4uhkcrazy88

Comments

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 298
    edited August 2015
    Oh, and I also placed a special minifigure in there with a trackable code on his back, called Marvin - his aim is to visit as many cities where there's a LEGO store in the world as possible :D
    jonamokCommanderRaabyys4uricecake
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    In my dark ages a few years back my then fiancé was geocaching every weekend and took quite a lot of my minfigs to leave behind. I had little interest in Lego at the time so didn't pay much attention to what she took but probably should have. I've put together at least 7-8 sets recently from bulk that have been missing figs so can only wonder how many are missing.
    andhe
  • jonamokjonamok UKMember Posts: 20
    Great idea for a cache. We placed a couple of caches up here in the NW a few years back, though never added any Lego. Might just do that next time we visit for maintenance.
  • JayEmJayEm United KingdomMember Posts: 62
    I stuck a CMF Cavegirl in a geocache once because I kept getting multiples of it and it seemed the best way to get rid of them.
    yys4uandhekiki180703
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    Yes, my other hobby is Geocaching. I've come across quite a few Travel Bugs which are Lego minifigures. Not come across any actual Lego in containers as swaps though.

I think I noticed a few queries on one of the FB groups yesterday about your cache - specifically whether it violated the commercial guidelines or not. The consensus seemed to be that it was 'A product (or company) that is a part of a generation's upbringing, or deemed a "classic"', and therefore allowed.
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 298
    edited August 2015

I think I noticed a few queries on one of the FB groups yesterday about your cache - specifically whether it violated the commercial guidelines or not. The consensus seemed to be that it was 'A product (or company) that is a part of a generation's upbringing, or deemed a "classic"', and therefore allowed.
    Ah, interesting! What FB groups were these?

I did read the commercial guidelines and decided that it probably didn't contravene them. There are other lego caches out there, too.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    I think it was the Geocaching UK one, but could be mistaken. There's also a tangentially related one on the UK Reviewers Bar group.
  • MilcheaxMilcheax Member Posts: 52
    I use sealed CMFs or polybags to occasionally re-stock the swag in my sole owned cache.

I've seen a number of trackables that are LEGO-based (either in theme or in actuality).

I did see (and solve) one puzzle in Southern New Jersey that was LEGO-based.
  • hkcrazy88hkcrazy88 USA/ItalyMember Posts: 163
    This is such a cool idea! We did some Geocaching when we still live in Virginia, but we focused on the one's that had stamps in them, and kept the stamps we collected in a Lego notebook. :) I've been meaning to try here in Italy, but haven't done so yet.