Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Charlotte NC Southpark Mall Store Grand Opening August 21-23

SlapNutsSlapNuts Triad NC, USAMember Posts: 40
Anyone else going to the new LEGO store opening in Southpark Mall Charlotte, NC this weekend? I have a chance to go each day. Really wanting the exclusive store set and minifigures.

Has anyone been to an opening? I'm assuming they will be packed!

"Celebrate the Grand Opening of the LEGO Store at SouthPark! 

You can help a real LEGO Master Builder construct an 8-foot tall model of Lloyd from LEGO® Ninjago™ completely out of LEGO bricks. You'll receive a certificate of achievement for participating!

August 21 - 23 — Center Court
SouthPark, Charlotte, North Carolina

Friday, August 21 — 11am-7pm
Saturday, August 22 — 10am-6pm 
Sunday, August 23 — 12:30pm-5pm 

Plus: During the event, be one of the first 300 people each day to make a qualifying purchase at the LEGO Store and you will receive one of these exclusive giveaways:

Friday: FREE Collectible LEGO T-Shirt with a $50 purchase*

Saturday: FREE Limited-Edition LEGO Store Set with a $99 purchase

Sunday: FREE Exclusive LEGO Minifigure Set with a $50 purchase"
https://www.facebook.com/events/1475993122696589/

Comments

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I'd love to make it but I can't. I made it to the Alpharetta GA opening a few years back. If you want the freebies I'd get there early, maybe an hour before opening. You'll likely either be waiting for it to open, or waiting in line. If you go a few hours after opening the crowds will be thinner but you risk missing the freebies.

I'm glad to see this one open though, it's a lot closer to me than Concord Mills.
  • SlapNutsSlapNuts Triad NC, USAMember Posts: 40
    Yep I plan on getting there about an hour before they open if not more. Don't want to risk it :smiley: Wish I didn't have to make two trips to get the store set and minifigs, it's a longer drive than Concord Mills one.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 360
    I was planning on the Saturday opening at least, but I will be in charge of the kids that day, and I am not sure they are patient enough to wait 1-2 hours before the store opens in line with me.  If I knew getting there an hour ahead of time was going to be good enough I'd do it.  Hate to drive all the way there and then not make the cutoff for the set.  
    Does anyone know the amount of sets they give out?  For some reason had 300 in my head, but that seems high.   
    SlapNuts
    To answer my own question, the Facebook page says be one of the first 300 to make a qualifying purchase to get the giveaway.  Good thing I know what I want to get and won't dawdle. (Finally getting the Ferris Wheel!)
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    I was just at the Winnipeg store Grand Opening in July. I lined up 2 hours before and was about 20th in line. It seemed most people showed up an hour before, but I think as long as people got in line before the store opened, they were able to get the freebie. Saturday was busier than Sunday.

Online it advertised "First 300" but there was actually 400 promo sets each day. 

Last thing, I met the "master builder" and had a nice chat, really nice guy. However never thought to get him to sign my Promo sets. Had I thought of it, I definitely would have. 
    Thanks @CupIsHalfEmpty !   I am going to aim for an hour ahead of time and hope that is enough.  Think the kids can handle that if an iPad is present. :)   I think they are most excited to help build the Ninjago Lloyd statue, even though they aren't into Ninjago.  I'll try to report on how busy it was for anyone curious.  
    Anyone else is line?  :)
    They had plenty of sets.   Could have showed up at ten and gotten one. 
  • NobleBricksNobleBricks Member Posts: 2
    I got there about 9:15, they didn't have either of the sets I wanted (Detective's Office and Mystery Machine). I settled for getting the Palace Cinema just to get the free set. I think the wait time would have been the same or longer getting there at 10.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Is it a "full size" store, or more like a mini? In other words, how does it compare to Concord Mills?
    Smaller for sure.  No real play area, pick a brick was pretty disappointing.  They were pulling a lot of sets out of the back when they ran out, but I am sure the run on larger sets was fueled by the exclusive store set.  Finally picked up the Ferris Wheel, which I saw them restock as mine was the second to last one. 

I got there around 8:30, was maybe 60th in line.  After the line started getting long they actually split it and made people wait down a side corridor.  When we went back in around 11 the line appeared to be gone, and they were running low on the store set but we're still giving them out.  Must have been more than 300 total to last that long.