Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Classic Space- uniform colour meanings?

JayEmJayEm United KingdomMember Posts: 62
Is there any accepted meaning for each different colour? Like blue = pilot, yellow = engineer or something? Unable to find anything through Google so I figured I'd ask.

Comments

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    Red: pilots, Yellow: scientists, Blue: soldiers/security, White: explorers, Black: spies.
    akunthitapiratemania7chuckpTXLegoguy
  • Legoist61Legoist61 NetherlandsMember Posts: 18
    What with the black/white figures? Explorating spy or spying explorer?
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    edited August 2015
    Green: mech pilots. ;)
    GothamConstructionCobobabricks
  • jesirosejesirose McKinney, TXMember Posts: 52
    @Legoist61 ;
    If you mean like this:

that is Futuron, not classic space. It's from the late 80s and early 90s I believe. 

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,777
    According to Jens Nygaard Knudsen (who invented the minifigure and was one of the leading minds behind classic Space), "We started with only Red and White figures, we considered the red ones to be the 'bad' guys, and that they were two competing factions." (Brickjournal Issue 6, Volume 2, pp39–40) I've also read some accounts which are even more specific and state that the white figures represented astronauts and the red figures represented cosmonauts.

With regard to the later colors, Jens had this to say: "The original two colors were explorers, yellow were scientists, blues were technicians or mechanics and I guess the black were warriors, but we were not allowed to make a big deal about this. We were not allowed to make war." (p40)
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,246
    it was a cold war thing?
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 162
    Well, honestly there weren't a lot of things in the 80's which weren't.
    matticus_bricksbobabricksSethro3AanchirToc13
  • Captain_EyebrowCaptain_Eyebrow Test Valley, looking at that new brand store that is coming to Southampton by Christmas 2019 . . . .Member Posts: 134
    Check with @bluemoose as he quite literally wrote the book on this . . . . . . . . . . . 
  • JayEmJayEm United KingdomMember Posts: 62
    Check with @bluemoose as he quite literally wrote the book on this . . . . . . . . . . . 
    Thanks. I should have thought of that, as I own the book.

I clicked through it and it shows Pilots as red and Ground Crew as white. Scientists seem to be yellow. There are no black or blue ones, from what I can see, until Futuron.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks. I should have thought of that, as I own the book.

I flicked through it and it shows Pilots as red and Ground Crew as white. Scientists seem to be yellow. There are no black or blue ones, from what I can see, until Futuron.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,395
    Oh yeah, I meant the ones featured in the book.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 614
    In my little Classic Space world, here is how the colors broke down:

Red = Pilots/Air Crew, White = Drivers/Ground Crew, Yellow = Generalists, Blue = Science Officers, and Black = Command.  I devised these rules based roughly on the frequency with which the various colors appeared throughout the line (Black was the most rare), and their use in my first Space sets from the late 70's.  Of course, LEGO chose not to universally apply these rules to their official sets throughout the years...

Futuron was a little different: with only 3 total Red astronauts across the line, they should be Command.  But the Black Futuron with white helmet in set #1974 was unique, and therefore became the Supreme Futuron Leader.

Most of the later lines had defined uniforms for the "Chief" (think Unitron, Space Police II, Ice Planet 2002).  I think I liked things better the old way...

It's interesting how Jens considered Red and White to be competing factions, as most sets with more than one figure contained equal numbers of each.  It's tough to be enemies when you're sharing the Galaxy Explorer together...maybe the Danes were trying to play peacemaker in the Cold War???
  • Captain_EyebrowCaptain_Eyebrow Test Valley, looking at that new brand store that is coming to Southampton by Christmas 2019 . . . .Member Posts: 134
    @JayEm I asked him last year and although he did not like to be 100% prescriptive he considered the Blue minifigs to be Starship Captains and Black minifigs as Fleet Command Officers.