Where to find great deals

TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 153
I'm an avid Lego collector but I'm not really allowed to buy things other than from brand names like Wal-Mart, Target, and Amazon. Does anyone know where I could find some great Lego deals that aren't from some second-hand sites (other than eBay)?

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    Get in your time machine and go back a few years...

seriously though, it seems like the"great" deals are largely a thing of the past, at least from a national perspective.  Last great mass nationwide deals was the 40% off bonanza leading up to Christmas 2013. Since then it's been few and far between.  Occasional 20% off a set here or there seems to be all you can hope for these days

If you live in the right place and can act fast, there are still clearance deals to be had from time to time, but they aren't as good, don't catch as many sets/themes as they used to, and competition is often fierce to snap them up

good luck!
    Yodalicious
  • motownjunkmotownjunk ND, USAMember Posts: 26
    If you are able to buy from eBay, one option is to decide whether or not you want the minfigures for the sets you're interested in purchasing.  For example, I've been getting into certain Star Wars ships recently, but I'm not a huge Star Wars fan in terms of the movies and overall storyline, and the minifigs don't usually mean much to me.  So what I've been doing is finding eBay auctions for sets I want that are "new without minifigs," where the seller has only opened enough to take out the minifig pieces.  Alternatively, I've purchased a couple of sets and then sold the minifigs so that I can recoup part of the cost, thereby getting a "discount."
  • addemlitaddemlit CaliforniaMember Posts: 118
    You might find some steals on Craigslist. But Amazon usually has the best deals. 
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    Check out the Marketplace section. Right now there is somebody in Texas that is selling some sets that you may be able to get a good deal on!
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,875
    What kind of sets are you looking for? Specific themes? That can make a difference.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366

Vary your Walmarts. If you don't already. There are some in my area that have pitiful LEGO sections and others that have entire aisles. What they actual put on clearance varies so much it's hard to stick to just one. And don't just look near the toys. Two of my local Walmarts put their clearance stuff all in the same place in a different area of the store.

But alas, things have changed dramatically in just the last couple of years. I remember only two years ago finding clearance sets at Walmarts for upwards of 60-70% off. Just went to one today that had $40 sets in the clearance aisle marked down to $38. ARGH!

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    dougts is correct.

I find it far harder today to find good deals on specific lines that I want. I buy far less as a result. 

If one is not too choosy on sets, then with Target/Walmart clearances one still find the occasional deal. This year I got the Chima Mammoth set at a good discount. Again, as dougts stated, those are far harder to get. My daughter and I  did just managed a $20 creator set for $10. Sometimes holiday sales are a good place to look, but from what I remember last year was quite the fizzle for sales. 

pharmjod
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I have found a lot of 50% or more clearance sets this year. However, they were for all themes I wasn't originally interested in unless it was bought at a discount. So now I have basically the entire Agents line thanks to those sales. And a few Chima sets and LEGO movie sets. But ultimately none of the big licensed sets were on too high of a clearance.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,875
    Agents are great sets, especially at 50% or more!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,128
    edited August 2015
    50% hasn't been seen in my neck of the woods for years

stuff rarely even hits 30%, and when it does it is gone instantly, and it's almost always for the undesirable themes anyway.  I don't even bother anymore.  I watch Amazon for 20% off on sets I want

mostly I just buy a lot less sets now 
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 153
    I know, it's so annoying. Ever since Lego became ridiculously popular because of the Lego Movie, sets have been becoming more and more expensive. I actually do find sales at my Wal-Mart, but they're always not really worth it. I mean, you'd find a 500 piece set for $79.99, and then have it on sale for $54.99. Either way, not really worth it for the kinds of sets that are on sale anyways.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291

I went out of my dark age last year, so I dunno about sales, but you can see the rrp here, and it feels like whereas it had been rather stable for years, suddenly prices are going way up. though that seems to mostly affect licensed themes, which can sometimes go for as high as 20c per piece, whereas non licensed themes seem to stay around 10c per pieces in most cases.

• TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 153
    Not really true. I mean, have you seen the prices of Pirates and City sets nowadays? I personally favor Creator Expert, Ninjago, and the occasional Star Wars or Legends of Chima set. Those to me are some of the cheapest lines that I look to first.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291

city is less expensive in France I think, though some sets are quite overpriced, like the big space shuttle.

personally I was shocked by the prices of the Disney princess line, apparently about 12-13c per pieces last year, and close to 18c per pieces this year. I don't know of an unlicensed theme where prices have increased by almost 50% in a year.

• brownbricks720brownbricks720 Cleveland, OhioMember Posts: 47
    I go walmart and target the day after christmas or 2 days after. Usually they have a lot of returns and you can find some decent sets put on sale. All Walmarts and Targets vary in terms of deals. My mom works for a walmart and she keeps an eye out for lego sets for me. I was able to get a jabba's sail barge for 30$ and 10 Battle of saleucami for 5$ a piece. Come Holiday season some stores will have deals like 30% off or buy one get one 50% off. I know toys r us has a rewards card for free but I'm not sure what all that entails. Me personally I have been watching craigslist more. Most people just want to get rid of their Lego. Happy hunting!
  • PhoneboothPhonebooth USMember Posts: 1,428
    Fauch said:

I went out of my dark age last year, so I dunno about sales, but you can see the rrp here, and it feels like whereas it had been rather stable for years, suddenly prices are going way up. though that seems to mostly affect licensed themes, which can sometimes go for as high as 20c per piece, whereas non licensed themes seem to stay around 10c per pieces in most cases.

Are you surprised?  Resellers hoard stock, then sell for above RRP. TLG isn't stupid. If consumers are willing to pay more in the direct or secondary market it makes sounds business sense to raise prices and drive profit.