The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Argos Catalogue (Lego) from 1985 Pictures :D

andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,559
edited November 2011 in Everything else LEGO
If you've stumbled across this before then apologies, but otherwise take a look and remember those days of thumbing through the newest Argos Catalogue! And see how many of these you actually owned! (Lego and otherwise). :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3592672791/in/set-72157619206330728/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3592674735/in/set-72157619206330728/

Comments

• MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,842
    That's awesome!!! Happy happy memories! I must have looked through the Argos (and Index catalogue) almost every day in the run upto Christmas. The bluebird and fisherprice stuff gives me many fond memories too.
    But crikey - how expensive were toys then?? No wonder we didn't have as much as kids now. The paddling pools and wendy houses are about £15 - probably about the same now aren't they?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,559
    Yeah I was thinking the prices (of action figures for example) hadn't changed much! I had that exact duplo train set (with the crane) and a number of the other things (such as the a-team figures). I'm guessing toys didn't have such a high turnover as there's no way my parents would have bought me everything in one year (not at those prices anyway!).
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 308
    That's great, so many toys i remember, i had 2 basic sets not sure if it was them though, i was 5 then and had tills, care bears and the fisherprice desk that i loved
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,141
    Many thanks for posting, @andhe - fantastic pics which really take me back !
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Didn't have many of those of those sets, only the police station I think, but I did have all of those Zoids! Happy days, thanks for sharing.

Just for fun, the cost of that police station in 1985 was £14.95, accounting for inflation, at today's prices that is £35.43, which works out to 9.1p per piece. Compare that to 7498 released in 2011 (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7498-1) which has 783 pieces which is 9.2p per piece. Maybe LEGO isn't getting more expensive after all, it always been expensive!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,141
    You could argue that we're getting better value now - look at the size of the current set; bigger pieces, more plastic, so you'd expect the price per piece to be greater as a result.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Wow... That is cool, but you guys are missing the biggest one there...

In the second image, bottom right, the original metal transformers... If you had those MISB, they would be worth MUCH more than any of the Lego in those pictures.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,537
    ^ I have the Optimus Prime pictured, and loads of the other stuff too (he-man, star wars, electronic games, lego, action force, A-team, board games)... all accumulated over many years of childhood - we certainly weren't well off either, which goes to show that toys stayed on the market for a MUCH much longer period than they do today.

These days it often feels like if you don't get it within a year of release, it vanishes.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I used to have the Optimus Prime, I was a kid in the 80s. :)

I don't know how my Mom afforded it all, she raised me a single mother, worked two jobs, and somehow there was always stuff under the Christmas tree. Sadly, I didn't keep it all, probably all ended up in a garage sale, which is why the mint stuff is worth so much.

Today they are all made out of plastic, but I remember my Optimus being made from metal.

Anyone remember Megatron, a toy shaped like a GUN! Oh heavens, they couldn't do that today, could they? Looked pretty good too, was a Wather P38 if memory serves...
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    These pages bring back a lot of memories, was into Lego space back then .... and Tomy Zoids ... aahhhh happy memories.