Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Old sets found in the wild?

afireinsideafireinside MichiganMember Posts: 38
Anyone find long D/C sets in the wild? I went to my walmart to see if the scooby sets were in and found in the new center eisle clearence shelves a 7307 Flying Mummy Attack from Pharos Quest from 2011. Looked neat for $10. Been their a hundred times and has never been on any shelf or these temp in eisle clearence shelves before. Mint box too. Though it looks like the same plane as the new scooby set just different colors and has guns mounted on it

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    I used to find long retired sets regularly back in the day. Pretty uncommon now with the LEGO mania everywhere.
    madforLEGO
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 194
    I find it tends to be the smaller independent retailers that are far more likely to have discontinued sets - found several dotted around, some still at RRP, others reduced to bargain basement prices. Chain stores I think have the money to be able to reduce stock by 25%+ as soon as they're officially retired. One I found a couple of weeks back that took me aback was finding #4207 City Garage in Hamley's in Cardiff. Paid RRP at £80 (though it was apparently reduced from £100 - perhaps not surprising with Hamley's traditional mark-up) - even so grabbed the opportunity with both hands!
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 303
    Just recently I saw the Lone Ranger mine set at TRU, but still at full price, which explains why it sat so long.  But yeah, larger retail doesn't seem to keep them around very long.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,248
    I used to have a place until they both opened an online store AND started raising the prices of their discontinued stuff to match eBay prices. It is a shame too as I found many discontinued sets there for good prices.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    There's a place near me, Learning Express, in malls. They will randomly have an Atlantis set or Prince of Persia. Funny since the stores weren't open when those were out (at least not in my area). But I never bite the bullet because all of their LEGO is marked up. So these sets sit there, not selling, at 20-30% over their original retail price.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    poorly run Walmart tend to have older set because they sit in the back till they are pulled out or are kept at full price forever.
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027
    @Yodalicious Do you still see old modulars there?
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366

Nope. Only store that wasn't a LEGO store that I've ever seen a modular in was a Walmart. It had a Pet Shop that was ordered online and then returned to the store. Was full price.
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027

Nope. Only store that wasn't a LEGO store that I've ever seen a modular in was a Walmart. It had a Pet Shop that was ordered online and then returned to the store. Was full price.
    Ok thanks