Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego part 4520844 question

happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133

I am just curious why Lego part #4520844 has studs on the top with 9 ° angles cut into them. 

I saw someone's video putting together the Ewok Village on Youtube and saw this piece and remember wondering why.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    They're linked to the recesses that hold the shutters in place, so I presume they are there to allow for the molding process.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    My guess is that the recesses for the shutters weaken the studs, would they be in their regular form, so they're redesigned to this. Then why not totally closed studs? Probably to save material and thus production costs. 
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    Galactus said:
    My guess is that the recesses for the shutters weaken the studs, would they be in their regular form, so they're redesigned to this. Then why not totally closed studs? Probably to save material and thus production costs. 
    If you look, those two studs are solid. The point is that the "recesses" are not recesses but holes that completely pierce the frame (and the stud). It is the same for other similar frames.

The original version is even more complicated. The holes are in different places on opposite sides, meaning that two studs are 'L'-shaped, and two are 'U'-shaped.