Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The one that got away thread

Comments

• ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    Before the price of the SSD skyrocketed I managed a used one off eBay for $300 or so. But it was early in my return from my dark ages so I had no concept of BL and the set was nowhere near complete as advertised so I ended up returning it to the seller...My only regret as it was in my hands for about a week before I returned it
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    AllBrick said:
    @AllBrick you fool! :O
    Going back to the WH Smith where I saw it (which wasn't so long ago) and demanding they search the whole stock room for more. This is happening today.
    And it's gone. 

catwrangler
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    AllBrick said:
    AllBrick said:
    @AllBrick you fool! :O
    Going back to the WH Smith where I saw it (which wasn't so long ago) and demanding they search the whole stock room for more. This is happening today.
    And it's gone. 

i bet no one can look at this and keep then self from thinking dirty things. 
    MattDawsonbobabrickscatwranglerDontcopythatfloppyLordmoral
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 486
    So I bought a bundle of lego figures and parts from some guy who had three, I payed 22 which I felt was high at the time (well worth it) but I found the torso and legs to the orignal spider man. Looking back at one of the other lots I see the lone red torso in another picture. *cue tragic enya music*
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    A little while ago I missed out on a complete space monorail set by 2 minutes! Listing said it was tested and everything.

price - $150 :(
    MattDawson
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,208
    Was wandering round the charity shops of Newbury today and spied #6253 Shipwreck Hideout on a high shelf. In box, but taped up, couple of pieces missing for £15. Umm'd and er'd about it and placed it back on the shelf while we went to the shop next door. Came back five minutes later and it had gone.
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 327
    Was wandering round the charity shops of Newbury today and spied #6253 Shipwreck Hideout on a high shelf. In box, but taped up, couple of pieces missing for £15. Umm'd and er'd about it and placed it back on the shelf while we went to the shop next door. Came back five minutes later and it had gone.
    I  had this happen a couple of times in both charity shops and at car boot sales, now I don't think about "uming and erring", if I see something I like I grab it when I see it and worry about it afterwards. I have so far had little to regret thinking this way.
    MattDawsonJackad7catwranglerDontcopythatfloppy
  • EarthlookingforsixEarthlookingforsix Sol systemMember Posts: 1
    When first coming out of the dark times I passed on lots and lots of WM clearance of POTC QAR and BP. I didn't even keep the one of each I did buy...
  • TwoToneBricksTwoToneBricks KCMember Posts: 37
    Ugh, I hope they make a black pearl when the new movie comes out. I always wanted one, it just might not have as many good minifigures as the previous release. 
    Jackad7
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    ^ and a Paul McCartney?

(If I ever get outta here....)

http://m.imdb.com/news/ni59657072?ref_=m_tt_nwr_sm_2
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,229
    edited May 2016
    #75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser & #9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor. Just after I started getting back into Lego, a local TRU still had several of 75025s, I um'd & ar'd over getting one several times, when I finally decided to hell with it, I'll get one....none left. Around the same time a local online store had the 9500 for about 30% off RRP, but I kept putting it off because I didn't want to grab one unless I had a 75025 to go with it, so when I missed out on the 75025, I let the 9500 drop off my radar.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,251
    getting the sith fury without minifigs dropped the price by quite a lot. of course I wish I had darth malgus but I don't think the price is reasonable for a minifig.
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    VorpalRyu said:
    #75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser & #9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor. Just after I started getting back into Lego, a local TRU still had several of 75025s, I um'd & ar'd over getting one several times, when I finally decided to hell with it, I'll get one....none left. Around the same time a local online store had the 9500 for about 30% off RRP, but I kept putting it off because I didn't want to grab one unless I had a 75025 to go with it, so when I missed out on the 75025, I let the 9500 drop off my radar.
    i got #9500 the same time i got the 2013 Millennium Falcon.
    i got #75025 just before Christmas. from TRU online shop. i looked at it 3 days later and it was sold out. i cut it so close that i almost missed out on it. and withing 10 days, of me buying it only 5 TRU retail shop's was showing as having any left.
    but i remember seeing #75025 back when i got #9500 and thinking that a cool model maybe i would get it if it was a bit less. at the time i was still officially in my dark age.

and my one i missed out on as i did not have any money at the time.
    spotted #31026 in a shop but was out of cash at that time.
    so still #31026 is a set i will forever feel i missed out on.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 889
    Why is it that the man who arrived 10 seconds before you at the car boot sale picks up all the Lego?
    i was so cross on Sunday it took me an hour to stop complaining to my wife about the deal that should have been mine.
    MattDawsonJackad7catwranglerDontcopythatfloppy
    Ahsokas starfighter on ebay for 10. Clicked on it and it was sold *tear*

• hey...heyhey...hey Member Posts: 19
    Not really one that got away, but back when I was a lot younger my parents managed to buy me both the Airport Shuttle and Futuron Shuttle. Fast forward to present day, they have not gotten rid of anything...however, I can find all the track but no monorail trains. Every now and then I raid their basement, but no luck.
    Jackad7MattDawsoncatwranglerDontcopythatfloppy
    hey...hey said:
    Not really one that got away, but back when I was a lot younger my parents managed to buy me both the Airport Shuttle and Futuron Shuttle. Fast forward to present day, they have not gotten rid of anything...however, I can find all the track but no monorail trains. Every now and then I raid their basement, but no luck.
    Ohh man that's the worst. My parents did that with a lot of stuff. It's like it's down there somewhere, stored behind an eternity of stuff, taunting you. 
    MattDawsoncatwrangler
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    Aside from the loing straights, the train is the more valuable item! :O
  • jason1976jason1976 LondonMember Posts: 74
    Jackad7 said:
    hey...hey said:
    Ohh man that's the worst. My parents did that with a lot of stuff. It's like it's down there somewhere, stored behind an eternity of stuff, taunting you. 
    Definitely the worst!

I've a similar tale, it's not Lego but when they moved house my parents threw out my Kenner Millenium Falcon and an AT-ST.

And on a mission to sort out my childhood Lego, a technic set and 2 motors and a battery pack have vanished without trace!

Jackad7catwrangler
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    Jackad7 said:

I was the one that ended up getting.  I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I think by the time I bought it,  it had already been listed for 15-20 mins.

Jackad7
    Jackad7 said:

I was the one that ended up getting.  I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I think by the time I bought it,  it had already been listed for 15-20 mins.

I figured it was a matter if time before I found someone who got me. I had just clicked on it when it ended. I can imagine most people don't see it unless they specifically are searching for it.
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    should have gotten BWE for 160€ today . but i could not pull the trigger on it. now i m home and i have this feeling ...
    catwrangler
    So I saw a TFA Millenium falcon for $30 BIN I'm eBay and after a quick scan of the description and sellers feedback I tried to buy it only to get thr message that it was no longer available. I was annoyed with myself for being so stingy on legitimacy so I messaged the seller asking if they jad anymore. A minute later I realized the auction was taken down and I felt better thinking the seller realized what they were selling and I didn t miss out. I woke up this morning to two messages from the seller. The first saying that they had one more and were trying to liquidate their inventory. The second being that it was listed. I decided to see how much they wanted, it had already sold for $20. I missed a Millenium freakin falcon for $20. To be honest I think I died a little inside today.
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    I really wanted the Exo-Suit and Wall-E but never got around to it. They're still relatively cheap on BL so not all hope is lost...
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 254
    The original Tie Bomber and the Republic Fighter Tank among others (I made a similiar thread before noticing this and someone linked me here: http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/503029#Comment_503029)

I found a link with an video image of the newest Republic Tank, seems similiar to the last iteration and I hope it had space for two minifigures as I will so be making an Imperial version out of Bricklink pieces.

http://topberlin.net/trend/new-lego-city-summer-2017-sets-from-nuremberg-toy-fair.html
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,281
    Went to the Stratford Lego store earlier in the week intending to pick up the UCS Sandcrawler and the Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion.

Note to self:  Pay more attention to end-of-life dates
    MattDawson
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    Nearly all the sets that I wish I had, but missed out on, were retired before I came out of my DA (Pharaoh's Quest sets, Castle Fantasy Era / Kingdoms sets, early Modulars, Imperial Flagship, Emerald Night, early Winter Village sets, Tower of Orthanc), so they don't really count.

Of sets that have been available, I am partially regretting not getting #10244 Fairground Mixer before it went EoL recently. I even had it on back order with Amazon at £99 for a while after it went EoL, but cancelled... Silly me. :-(
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    I really wanted the Exo-Suit and Wall-E but never got around to it. They're still relatively cheap on BL so not all hope is lost...
    Exo suit can probably be had for less than msrp. If you cant find it I'll gladly sell you one for msrp plus shipping if you are in the usa.
  • BeOBeO SwedenMember Posts: 11
    Just the other day a Hogwarts Express 4841 popped up on a sales listing, around $65. Complete with minifigs and manuals, no box. Mailed the guy four minutes after it was posted but didn't get a reply until the morning after. It said I should call him that afternoon to set up the deal. I waited until afternoon as he requested, only to be told that it was sold an hour earlier. I was a bit... upset.

He could tell I was disappointed, so he told me he had another set that he hadn't listed yet, and wondered if I might be interested in that instead. I said perhaps, which one? It was Hogwarts Castle 4842, complete except for 5 cheap roof pieces. All minifigs included and in great condition. How much, I asked and he said he was gonna list it for $140 but I could get it for $100. Alright, deal :) 

While there I also got Gandalf Arrives 9469 and Shelob Attacks 9470 for an additional $40. Not the cheapest I guess, but got Hogwarts at such a good price I didn't argue.

Still bummed out about that train though...

catwranglerBumblepantsJackad7
  • Pate5346Pate5346 Member Posts: 734
    @BooTheMightyHamster

I haven't seen both for at least a months now in brand store I think. If you need help with  Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion I've got one spare.
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 690
    Was in Discovery Center Manchester last August and what do i see top shelf...#10240...just the one in front of the Dameron or Resistance W-wing..doesn't matter...anyways..i pick it up thinking surely this cant be..the thing had retired months earlier..i look at it for 5 minutes thinking my wife will go mental...i put it back..i am as stupid as my wife thinks i am...will always always regret that one...
    Johnyk668kiki180703
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,281
    Pate5346 said:
    @BooTheMightyHamster

I haven't seen both for at least a months now in brand store I think. If you need help with  Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion I've got one spare.
    Many thanks, but I managed to find one in John Lewis this week.  Hurrah for staff discount!
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,301
    Back in my dark age I saw the SSD on Amazon for somewhere in the $400-500 range and thought "Oh, cool!" but it didn't seem reasonable at the time. If I'd bought it, my dark age probably would have been over right then.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,455
    Yesterday, #75150 Star Wars Vader's TIE Advanced Vs A-Wing Starfighter was in stock at half price. Today I got paid. Sod's bloody law...
    catwrangleralexwil
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    Not so much the one that got away as 'The one I'll never have and personal holy grail - #106
    Jackad7kiki180703
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,455
    ^ Only £843 used... :-)
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAkiki180703
    edited March 2017
    ^ LOL That's actually a bit cheaper than the last time I saw one for sale.  i get a little bit excited every time I find a 'face down' 1x4x3 Blue panel in an 80's job lot (despite being well aware of my chances).
    MaffyD
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 343
    ^ I don't know much about this set, but is it this one you are looking for @MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    @BillyBricks84 - Well Found!   I'll send of a message asking for some better pics.  I'm led to believe this was a Samsonite produced set and told that it was primarily a Canada release (so not suprise do by the item location).  The interesting thing is how offset the printed logo appears to be - the logo should be centred on the piece - it's pretty obvious this is off to one side quite a bit. The lack of box and any instructions also reduces the desirability somewhat but this may well be worth bidding depending on the sellers reply. Thanks again for pointing out the listing!
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 343
    ^No problem. It was pure coincidence that I saw it. I did notice that the printing on the sides seemed to have worn off some, but I figured I may as well point it out.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • TikiLukiTikiLuki ChicagoMember Posts: 60
    ^ Were those available at retail, or via Canada Post, or...?
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 254
    Looking in 2015 Lego Shop at Home magazine I saw the set 70811 The Flying Flusher. I am building a City and both the regular plumber van and the Doctor minifigure would've been highly useful.
  • ChrisBricks81ChrisBricks81 NetherlandsMember Posts: 9
    I'm in this situation all of the time haha. I'm rather new to collecting things and since a little bit over 2 years really really addicted to buying Lego Star Wars sets and expanding my collection. I have a huge backlog when it comes to that. I like every new set that comes out but there are also a LOT of older ones that I desperatly need haha. So yeah, I've missed out on a few good deals so far. Usually it's coming to an agreement and a few hours later the seller sells to someone else who's willing to pay more. No honor in that ;)
    josekalel
  • GentlyBenevolentGentlyBenevolent Member Posts: 327
    I don't know if this qualifies for "one that got away" as more "one I let Go !!!"
    Back in 2010-2011 I was Bricklinking a #10179 UCS Millennium Falcon and I got the dish, LBG rigging & the instruction manual first, then proceeded to slowly collect the rest.

I got board with collecting it and listed it on ebay as incomplete and I vaguely remember getting about £380.00 for it and the chap actually collected it in person.

Now the reason I am sharing this, (sad), story is that I found the listing pictures I took when I put it on ebay....... I now feel sick and want to cry :(............

I'm stupid, please somebody shoot me in the head !!!!!

LegoboyLEGOFan2
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    That is a very sad story.  :(  But perhaps for half your takings you can buy half of a re-released one?
    SumoLego
  • jedijason1138jedijason1138 Member Posts: 145
    Several years ago, I went to a local toy show and they had a table full of Lego sets. The one that caught my eye was #10019-1. It was in a black and white box, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. The seller had $35 on it and a note that said complete. I passed. I wish I would have at least taken a glance inside the box. That same seller is at the same toy show every time and has complete Lego sets. I think I missed an opportunity.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    edited May 2017
    This just happened two days ago, Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion set unopened in box.
    $35 on Craigslist local pick up.
    was ten minutes later than someone else in communicating with the person.

so frustrating since I still need Velma! 
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 167

Lordmoral said:

Looking in 2015 Lego Shop at Home magazine I saw the set 70811 The Flying Flusher. I am building a City and both the regular plumber van and the Doctor minifigure would've been highly useful.

These can be had on eBay pretty reasonably.   I just missed out on The Flying Flusher for about $20 the other night.

I'm in a similar boat - just got the Trash Chomper and Ice Cream Machine from TLM for my growing city.
    SumoLegoIceCreamClone
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,587
    I still can't get over missing the Rogue One buildable figures sale. They were going for five bucks at my Walmart. 

• MoneyHypeMikeMoneyHypeMike Québec, CanadaMember Posts: 42
    Missed Heartlake Shopping Mall for 30$ on Kijiji.