The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Mini Modular Resurrection /Clone - A Life In Technicolor

VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
Came to a screeching halt when i spotted this at the local mall. Priced at about $35. Thought id share (and hope is its okay to)
andheHangedSanchezkiki180703Jern92bobabricks

Comments

• DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,051
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,572
    Now that looks vaguely familiar.... nice tan dog though.
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    Wow. That's.... colourful. Weird choice to include minifigs in a micro-scale set as well! Interestingly, it appears to be 200 more pieces than the official set, assuming the box is accurate.

Did you buy it? I'd love to see a side by side comparison.
  • iamterryiamterry Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2015
    I have that set - I had to buy itjust to compare against the original. It cost me about £9 delivered - I was staying in China at the time.

Quick summary - terrible quality, instructions and fitting.

I had to use the pictures on the box several times to try to cross reference the instructions and the bricks to identify which particular colour bricks the instructions were vaguely referring to.
    andheHangedSanchezLegoboy
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    @iamterry That is a bummer, I was secretly excited and curious about this . Was considering picking it the next time I swing by . 

I am am still really curious as to how it looks once all the ugliness of the instructions is over . The colours and the final finish . 

Would it it be possible for you to post a pic or two ?
    Also noticed , the green building which is supposed to be the once fire brigade . Has that been turned into a church ?  I see what looks like a cross of dome sort 
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,341
    edited August 2015
    Hmm... they don't have a Market Street either. :-)   There does seem to be some sort of building to the right of "Cafe Corner" though. Is that supposed to be Market Street?

Interesting color palate.
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    Hmm... they don't have a Market Street either. :-)   There does seem to be some sort of building to the right of "Cafe Corner" though. Is that supposed to be Market Street?

Interesting color palate.

I'm guessing it is, judging by the stepped roof.
    edited August 2015
    Yes it looks like it does have a building on the side and if I remember correctly I did see what looked like the market Street on the back of the box
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    It's like Lazytown ate the mini modular set and threw up.
    groundedLegoboySumoLegoDeMontesVorpalRyudougts
    Vortex said:
    @iamterry That is a bummer, I was secretly excited and curious about this . Was considering picking it the next time I swing by . 

I am am still really curious as to how it looks once all the ugliness of the instructions is over . The colours and the final finish . 

Would it it be possible for you to post a pic or two ?
    I'll take some pics and post them tonight.  I think for the amount of money I spent; it's probably 'value' for money.  I don't think I'd have been happy if I paid $35 though.
    VortexHangedSanchez
    edited August 2015
    Please excuse the dust....  Oh and the minifigs, they're everything as bad as the picture suggests - not entirely sure where I filed those!
    LegoboyHangedSanchezVortexsnowhitieandhebobabricks
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,597
  • blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 179
    I found these in China last week...
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,202
    edited August 2015
    ^ Something makes me think the photos on the boxes are of the LEGO versions, rather than whatever tat actually comes inside the boxes...
    bobabricks
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I feel bad for all those real dollars being traded in for fake bricks =(
    juggles7madforLEGO
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,341
    Hmm.. looks like an extra building in there. Wonder what that is supposed to be.
    ^It looks like that one fan-designed set, who's name alludes me. Very similar to a real Modular, but not quite.
    Sethro3
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 9,967
    It's like Lazytown ate the mini modular set and threw up.
    Lazytown?  Surely this is a Robbie Rotten scheme!
    TheLoneTensor
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 651
    I saw this in a local store here in Malaysia the other day. Pretty ugly colours though, considering how amazing the real modulars look. Now, I'm not a hater of clone brands (I absolutely love Oxford Blocks' Korean Heritage series), but this is bad.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,916
    I have this sudden, strange urge to wash my hands just from looking at that.
    bobabricks
    Thanks @iamterry thanks mate ! 

Errr....I was hoping for better but this is not terrible enough for me to wash my hands . I would still pick it u for laughs if it was for what you paid for it ,anything under $15. i know you i'll get the disapproving shake of the heads here but 1500 pieces for 10 quid is not too bad for a disposable set you would likely pass on to someone for whom the quality/finish matters a little less , say someone just learning to build with small pieces like a young kid , who you probably won't be handing your original mini modular due to fear of losing the small parts...

Dunno just talking loud early morning .. maybe i'll disagree with myself by evening on this
    HangedSancheziamterrykiki180703
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,675
    ^It looks like that one fan-designed set, who's name alludes me. Very similar to a real Modular, but not quite.
    You are referring to #10190 Market Street.
    ^^ having said that , i suspect ,i will probably not bite on this one. I have too many great sets to build and too little time and display space. I don't think ill use that prime time to build this when i can build something better.

There its only an hour and I'm thinking otherwise...but that theory stands.
    edited August 2015
    Right then, moving on , if you guys have digested the mini modular, here is what the new Millennium Falcon episode VII might look like :

At least according to and incidentally brought to you by the same good people behind the Mini Modular Rainbow Edition, Ausini Bricks ;)

bendybadgerHangedSanchezandheDiggydoeskiki180703bobabricks
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    ^wow. Just wow. I love fried eggs.  Ausini Bricks do love their colours. 
    Vortexkiki180703
    Yes apparently the reports were correct about the new updated Dish. They replaced it with a perfectly fried egg. You can practically taste the yolk.

Also note, the circular ducts near the front and sides which are supposed to be maintainence bays(i think) , they are replaced by what it looks to be the Turkish "Evil Eye" (repellant)

As seen here 

The evil eye should help ward off the the Imperial onslaught.

HangedSanchezkiki180703bobabricksbricking
  • 1x11x1 Member Posts: 110
    That looks like a fake #7641 city corner next to it and a Duplo ambulance on the other side.
    andhe
    That Ausini falcon looks to be around 30quid.  Prices are going up, even for rip-off lego!

If you're interested in seeing what else they do; go to taobao.com and search for Ausini and you'll see all sorts of ripped off designs.
    andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,572
    iamterry said:
    That Ausini falcon looks to be around 30quid.  Prices are going up, even for rip-off lego!

If you're interested in seeing what else they do; go to taobao.com and search for Ausini and you'll see all sorts of ripped off designs.
    Beware of that rabbit-hole... I ended up watching Ausini set reviews on the russian section of youtube.
    ^ that's okay! it's good to be curious 
  • thehornedratthehornedrat Member Posts: 86
    These clone actuslly sets look decent and the quality keeps improving. The color palettes and brick types keep expanding. Now the set designers need imagination and create their own designs.

We used to laugh at chinese made electronics, well, the fridge I have still works just fine 15 years later.
    We used to laugh at 'Great Wall' trucks, well, now they seem to be selling quite well here in Brisbane, I keep seeing more and more on the roads.
    We used to laugh at chinese made mobile phones. Turns out Xiaomi is making decent good mobile phones.

I used to mock those examples above, I was insecure, and you are too. If Lego keeps ripping us off with high prices, and when the quality of clone brands improve past a certain threshold, well...if you're going to buy expensive lego worth thousands for your children, only for them to lose interest 5 years later and you sell the lot in bulk for a couple of hundred, if I were a Non-Afol, buying clones is a no-brainer.

And the fact that new clone brands keep on popping up all the time shows that there is a huge market for these clones.
    Vortex
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 436
    If Lego keeps ripping us off with high prices, and when the quality of clone brands improve past a certain threshold, well...
    Not just this, I'd add also ceasing production of sets that there is still a market for!

When people are paying obscenely high prices for UCS MF, Taj Mahal, Market Street and so on, what business sense does it make to leave those profits to the second hand market? Of course in the end someone else is going to pick up the slack...
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,368
    I would Love for TLG to pick up the slack and repeat the Taj Mahal, Market Street, Green Grocer and Cafe Corner, even with slight colour and part variation.

Just do not get me started on the Lord of the Rings.
    TLG really need to get the Return of the King sets sorted out and produced.

Vortex
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    It does make sense from a business standpoint. You do need to have new items constantly coming out for shelf space. Most people will probably end up buying a new version of something instead of the original if they don't notice any major differences.

But with that said, a lot of pieces go in/out of production, so a lot of older sets just can't be remade. They would have to have a big investment in new molds just to re-create something they've already made. So instead they will come out with something new altogether to target a larger audience. Numerous LEGO designers have said this in interviews too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a re-release of certain sets at a good price point, but that isn't good business and TLG is in it to make money.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,368
    The Constant new products arguement does not really hold any water.
    TLG constantly bring out new versions of Old Star Wars ships.

Anyway:
    5000 Taj Mahal sold in 2008.
    More lego fans in 2015 =  10000 sold now? etc. etc. etc.
    I would say that is good business. Especially if it prevents people from buying clone versions of the old modulars.

• Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I'm just saying what the designers have said in interviews. Until the CEO says why they do what they do, then people will forever argue on this issue.

They obviously aren't hurting for money, without redoing a lot of these sets. Also, redoing star wars sets to aim at the next batch of kids that are getting into LEGO makes more sense than redoing large d2c sets that don't have as large of an exposure.
    SumoLego
    Why re-release an old set when there are plenty of ideas for new sets?

(Golden Gate Bridge!)
    Sethro3
  • thehornedratthehornedrat Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2015
    Well, then there will be a market for the clones to fill in the gap then :)
    Especially once clone brick quality improves and I/we can finally mix clone bricks with lego bricks and not feel bad about it :D
    Well, then there will be a market for the clones to fill in the gap then :)
    Especially once clone brick quality improves and I/we can finally mix clone bricks with lego bricks and not feel bad about it :D
    I sense the sarcasm, but for the record, someone  must object to such statements!
    jason1976
    It's funny when we hear so much griping about 'bring jobs back to US/EU!' 'Stop doing business with corrupt governments that are hostile to us like China/Iran/Russia', 'We demand safer better products for our children!'.

Only to quickly say 'But I'll save a whole $2 by buying this fake stuff from China instead of from the real designers in Denmark'.

Buncha hypocrites!
    oldtodd33
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,081

the problem is that workers get ripped off, so they can never afford what they produce themselves, but only what poorer workers produce.

edited August 2015
    ^So take a Lego worker in Billund for a close to home example. Do you think they have better hopes of making more or keeping their job if they support counterfeit clones from China? Even without absolute terms of yes/no, do you think the worker in Billund is same off, better off, or worse off with counterfeit goods existing of what they manufacture/design?

The following defense is that it is small dollars in question. But when considered in macro those single customer purchases add up in aggregate enough to support these Chinese companies in thieving and pirating of IP. Thereby encouraging them to grow even more and steal even more until one day they will have an outsized impact for their crummy offerings. Plus the majority of these counterfeit goods typically are luxury goods like purses, shoes, jewelry, high end cars (Landrover as a recent example). All discretionary items or toys in our case, that are not necessary needs for the individual. Which makes it all the more revolting, as it's a choice based on cheapness.

And why is it only China that is such an offender in this gray market of counterfeit goods? Isn't this the same country that outright steals our national defense secrets, executing massive hacks on our national databases and corporate titans? All the while supporting the Russians and Iranians in their wars against the 'West'? And don't you live in the 'West' yourself?

Moral, ethics and principals are sometimes costly but always worthwhile to stand by.

That is why I can't stand the mentioning of these pirated IPs and counterfeit products being promoted on a high quality forum such as Brickset. If there was such a big market for things such as these, they should set up their own Cloneset.com. Better yet, link it to Alibaba portal while you're at it, so you can conveniently buy all those Enlighten Sante Fe Chief sets or these laughable City Mini-Modulars or what have you.
    oldtodd33
    Ultimately, so long is there is a lower-priced unskilled labor market, that is where manufacturers will go to maximize efficiency.

Whether it's Apple producing iPads and iPhones in China, Lego and the auto industry producing product in Mexico, or any number of other manufacturing jobs that are exported out of North America and Europe, those products are not for their local market.

And ironically, why there is an underground economy of unskilled labor prevalent in the US and other larger economies.

Also, I think discussion clone brands is perfectly fine for this forum - particularly because this forum is focused on information, not promotion.  
    ^We're not talking about offshoring or outsourcing, as is the case for legitimate products made in China and elsewhere like Apple wares. We're talking about outright fake goods and stolen IP. As a lawyer, you should see a wide gap of difference between these.

It's not even like we're talking about legitimate clones either, such as Mega, Kreo, Nano etc. whom design and license their own sets. Created from scratch without stealing from other competitors. I have no problem with these companies at all.

But pointing directly at those fake SW and SH figs from Shen-whatever, the fake trains from Enlighten, those unsightly fakes of TLM & Ninjago figs, these poor replica sets in weird colors, etc. Straight out thieves and criminals.

Everybody has a right to do as they wish, even if it is to donate cash to such enterprises. But don't expect the everyone to stay silent when they see the obvious ethics being tossed in the bin as well where these fakes belong. I'm just willing to be prickly in vocalizing my opinion on this matter as a plea to others to think twice before they purchase such goods and do what's right by buying only from real producers & designers. Be that Lego, other toys, clothes, etc. It's not worth the pennies being saved when you sacrifice your standards in the process.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,081
    I'm not encouraging clone brands, but if most of the money wasn't hidden away in tax havens, where it is useful to no one, maybe people wouldn't resort to buying cheap chinese stuff because that's all they can afford.
    ^I agree whole heartedly on the corporate cheating, it's wrong and we deserve to work for better companies. But that doesn't mean you have to go and buy from the bad ones in a bad country either. The best fix is to support those companies that are acting ethically and do treat their employees well. I always figured Lego was one of those companies and therefore deserved the support.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343

And why is it only China that is such an offender in this gray market of counterfeit goods?

The most common LEGO clones I've seen are made by a company based in, not the Far East, but the Far West - Canada. It's American-owned. They're called Mega Bloks (and owned by Mattel). TLG have locked horns with them in court several times.

Other names you may have heard of (well, I have) - Best-Lock (British), Cobi (Polish), Oxford (Korean) .

Tyco is another Mattel company that produced LEGO clones - and even boasted about it "Tyco  looks and feels like Lego (sic)".

Yes, there are quite a few companies in China, although they often seem inter-related, but there are also a few more In America as well as the odd one or two in other countries.

Curious, isn't it? Mattel comes up twice. They're based in El Segundo; you're in Redondo Beach - all of 5 miles away!  You're actually in an ideal place to protest about the biggest of the clone manufacturers, but you pick on the Chinese.

Why do the Chinese produce clones? Because they're a different country and have different ideas about the rules and morality.  The Koreans may well have the same excuse as the Chinese - I don't know. But why do the Americans (or the British or Polish) do it?

Moral, ethics and principals are sometimes costly but always worthwhile to stand by.
    Obviously.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 958
    Well this escalated quickly (ahhhh Brickset forums, how I love thee)...
    Bumblepantsandhe
    edited August 2015
    @TigerMoth ;Mattel's Megabloks is a legitimate clone brand that designs their own sets, even have unique part designs too. So they don't count in terms of what I'm pointing to as counterfeits, same as Kreo.

But didn't realize Best-Lock and Cobi were European companies. That's bonus knowledge for the day, thanks.

The Chinese have a special place in my heart. Literally, I'm half Chinese. But rather than giving them a pass, maybe I'm tougher when stating the facts and truth as I see it through their perspective. There's simply no pride or respect in how they go about catching up to the rest of the world. Even when caught red-handed with evidence in tow, the Chinese courts would never punish their thieving citizens & companies. Unlike the rest of the civilized world where Rule of Law actually means something.

Sure the Koreans might cheat here and there, as does Europe in your examples. But nobody does it on such a large scale on every item under the sun like the Chinese do. They're perfecting IP theft and counterfeit goods to the point of actually being usable products. But how come the Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. don't/didn't do the same as means to grow their country and industries? They went and created their own brands & products without stealing and cheating. Even developing tech beyond what the US/EU have on certain things like Robotics and Autos. Only the Chinese have to cheat to win, so they deserve all the scorn in full.