Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which Pirate set Box to keep?!?!

CaptainStevebeardCaptainStevebeard Member Posts: 6
edited November 2011 in Collecting
Im collecting the Pirates sets(nearly finished!!), and I have a dilema. I have two boxed sets of 6263 Imperial Outpost and two 6267 Lagoon Lock-up's.
One of each is going up for sale, however they both have slight variations in their boxes, and Im wondering which would be best to keep for my collection.

6267 - one has a purple outline to the outer box and a purple inner box/the other is yellow in these places

6263 - One is (I think) the US version, one the UK one.

Opionions? Quick as you can as I want to sell them and get some new stock in! MANY Thanks!!!!!!

Comments

• Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 532
    edited November 2011
    The 6267 with the yellow outline and inner box (not to mention the lack of the "System" logo on the front) is older than it's purple counterpart. Probably dates back to the first wave of that set (from the year it debuted in). The purple one is a re-release, probably from 1992 or later that was issued when Lego was re-branding all themes with the "System" logo as opposed to the "LEGOLAND" banner of the 80s. So aside from the age difference, I wouldn't (as a collector) assign much of a value difference between the sets. I can't see you getting much more for a particular one over the other, but that's just me.

Same thing goes for the 6263. Almost just a preference of whether you like UK or USA box formats. I don't think you'll get any significant amount more for one than the other.

EDIT: Forgot about the blasted cannons! The UK versions of each set should have shooting cannons, unlike the USA versions. If I were you, I'd keep the UK versions, but then again, some people (like myself) want to buy these versions because let's be honest here, nobody wants a set with dummy cannons.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    I have a question for Lego_Lord_Mayorca on a related note:

I have 2x boxed copies of 6086 Black Knight's Castle (or Dungeon Master's Castle; depending on which reference you use). One box has the "system" logo in the upper left of the front flap, and nothing more. No set name, no Black Knights theme banner, etc.

The other set has all of these labels. Set name across the top box flap, Black Knights theme banner, etc.

Is this a regional difference? (USA vs EU)

Or is this a matter of when they were produced?

Thanks.

Sorry for threadjacking a little; hope it's ok since you seemed to have your question answered already, Captain!
  • Many Thanks Lego_Lord_Mayorca, didnt want to get rid of one and find out the other was more valuable/rarer etc. Thanks again

P.S Odindusk - no probs
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I would keep the UK versions myself and when you selling them?
  • boba_jagoda2boba_jagoda2 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2011
    I'm interested in the purple version of the 6267 if you have the plastic inlet :)

@Odindusk
    - Legoland vs. LEGO System is a matter of being released earlier or later
    - triangle corner banner + (X system, part number and other small print) on the box is US vs. Europe thing

(so, there are 4 (and more) versions of some boxes e.g. 6034,
    for 6086 there is also a "Dungeon Master's" box version)

For some themes there was also the color change in 1991
    pirates: yellow -> purple
    town: yellow -> blue

etc. (there are many more details about the boxes)
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 532
    Yes, @Odindusk I can confirm what @boba_jagoda2 said. To further illustrate a point, a sealed 8880 Super Car I got off eBay had just a Technic logo and no piece count on the front flap. On the sides was a telling multilingual listing of the age range. Those are sure indicators of European-regional sets. The clincher in this case was the still-attached price tag, which mentioned a Dutch store from which the Super Car was presumably purchased way back in the day. And you're welcome, @CaptainStevebeard .
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Sweet, thanks for Lego history lesson. I kind of like my EU set. Very minimalist box; showcases the photography more than the other version.
  • I think Im going to keep the yellow 6267 (as its older) and the US version of 6263 - only because the US version is IMMACULATE! Where the UK one is still in great condition, just the edges are slightly worn. They will be on ebay this evening.
    6267 WONT have the inner tray Im afraid - Ive bought the second one to get that tray, so Ive only got the one which Im going to keep.
    6263 wont have the inner box