Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Looking for advice on my Jedi Character MOC

VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,208
I'm planning to get moving on my MOC of my old Jedi character some time in the next few months & I have a small list of things I'm wanting to do minifig-wise...

1) First off, wiping prints, I've heard of a few methods, but not much detail on any of them. Is there a best method for this?

2) Custom Lego printing sites, I've looked at a few, but I'm kind wanting to here from people who have used them, are the some better than others & do any of them do metallic printing? Also, are there sites that can print on other parts other that just bricks, tiles & minifigs? I ask cause I want to get printing done for a custom astromech dome & a couple Twi'lek headpieces.

3) Does anyone know of any sellers on BrickLink, BrickOwl, etc with rare colour parts, particularly blasters, lightsaber parts & Zabrak or Twi'lek headpieces? I was hoping to find copper (or Reddish Brown at least) saber hilts & also, a couple of blade pieces in trans-black/brown & the original trans-green.

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    1) I work in a print based industry and have access to a lot of different solvents, the best I've found for LEGO is actually just normal Nail Polish remover, it takes a little bit more effort than some of the stronger solvents, but they tend to dissolve the plastic a little too.

2) Only ones I've had anything from are Minifig.me and Minifigsforlife, both UK based so might not be best option for you - can't comment on metallic prints other than to say that metallic ink is a swine for setting in printer pipes if it's not used often enough so I don't blame anyone who has a UV printer for not using it.

3) I think you started a thread about a seller with rare colour parts - that's the only one I've seen, might be worth keeping an eye on their store or even asking them if they might know anything about parts in the colours you are after.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    RE: rare/non-existent colours of parts, there was this thread (ages ago!) on dying bricks with fabric dyes, with some stunning results. Unfortunately, all of @CCC's picture links are dead (maybe he still has some of them elsewhere?), but I think you might be able to die a pearl silver lightsaber handle to a bronze-ish colour. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/818/changing-the-color-of-bricks/p1
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,208
    @Shib, Nail Polish remover....with or without Acetone? After cleaning off the prints, what is best for rinsing off the parts? As for the printing, I would love to find someone local, but if I have to send parts off to the UK, so be it, as long as I get what I'm after. I might send him an email, even if he doesn't have access to those parts in other colours, who knows, he might know of others who do.

@plasmodium, might have to give it a look... Just wish TLG still made their pearl copperish colour & made a few sabers...
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,208
    @Shib, just curious, is nail polish remover safe for translucent parts as well?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    In all honesty I've only experimented on two parts so no idea...get a clear single stud piece or something you have spares of to see how the plastic reacts with it?