Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

I am in a Lego dilemma ! To jumble or not???

happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
So I now own 8 small Lego sets.  http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-happyskunky

My biggest is the 76030-1: Avengers Hydra Showdown 220 pieces.  I own 1024 pieces ( not including all the extras ) .

I know I can not make something extraordinary but I wanted to try my own MOC but here is my dilemma.  I keep all sets apart in plastic zip lock baggies along with the manuals so if I want to build a set all the pieces are right there.  I also want to just jumble all the pieces together in a bin and see what I can create.   I guess I want the best of both worlds but I can't have both.   I don't know what to do :(   I love building the sets I have but I don't think making MOC's are possible without jumbling the sets up....

LadyLovesLegos

Comments

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,244

it doesn't take too much time to sort 1000 pieces

pharmjoddougtsJern92Omastar
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Jumble the sets, but keep the instructions.  When you rebuild the sets, you might build them differently after MOCing. 
    Jern92
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    My preferred method is to keep the sets not separated, but together. Back in the day I had them all mixed. Nowadays I keep everything sorted by brick type/colour. I always reasoned that when I want to rebuild a set, I can get the instructions and pick the bricks, same way as I would MOCing.
    Kevin_HyattLordofLego
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 240
    Mix the pieces. Having a jumble of pieces is good for inspiration. Once you have so many pieces that you can no longer find what you want, sort the pieces. You'll probably go through stages of sorting. Your current level is "set archiving" where each set is stored separately when disassembled. Your next level after "unsorted" will probably be "sort by colour". No matter how disorganized you get, as long as you don't lose pieces you can always organize into whatever fashion you want.
  • happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
    Great comments!  Very informative.  I guess I just have to get over my wanting to stay very organized and just have some fun B)
    Kevin_Hyatt
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 782
    My preferred method is; 

1. Select all the sets that would be useful in its original state for my city layout (modular buildings, Haunted House, Simpsons House, Tower Bridge, vehicles) 
    2. Select rare sets too valuable to jumble in case any parts get lost (Research Institute, Year of the Sheep)
    3. Select sets that look good in their built state (Valentine's Bear)
    4. Jumble everything else
    5. Buy loose bricks from PAB and add them to the jumble
    6. Building time!
  • happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
    Well I did it.  I now have 5 ziplock bags with my measly 1,000 some pieces in them.   I do have to admit all the small pieces look really cool all mixed up in a bag :smiley: 
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,804
    Oooh, I could never do that. I agree with @BooTheMightyHamster ;, I've got my sets on display and in zip lock bags, the boxes are flatpacked upstairs.

The only thing I jumble is spare parts. I keep one spare of each kind and if I get two I'll put it in my MOC-pile, and even that made me twich for a while!

Then I buy sets especially to use for MOC-ing, as a base (like the #60008 Museum Break-in, I am going to use the museum piece to make a modular museum, my son gets all the vehicles) or just to break down (usually when I pick something up on sale at 30%-50% of). And then Pick a brick and bricklinking specific items.

But I guess to each his own!

Anyway, welcome to the fun world LEgo @happyskunky !

• mlarue3mlarue3 Member Posts: 25
    @happyskunky ; I sort my LEGO by pieces.  I have around 24,000 pieces so I use about to screw organizers.  I used to keep all sets together.  Once I wanted to MOC, I did the separation by piece.  This way, if I do want to build a certain set I can just go through the inventory list and pick out what I need.  I do keep some stuff separate for now. (i.e. Architecture, F40, Exosuit)  So this way you can do both.
  • high5debrahigh5debra DetroitMember Posts: 16
    I keep things separated by theme.  I use 6 Qt storage bins (<$1 each).  When my boys feel like playing with Atlantis sets, we pull out the Atlantis tub and build those.  When they want to play with super hero sets, we pull out the super hero bin.  Every couple months or so I break down sets that they haven't played with in a while.  We don't do a ton of MOCing, but when we do, we use a large bin that is filled with pieces from my childhood. (80's)  When they get a little older and want to do some MOCing, the bins will work nicely since you get common color schemes in each theme.

Galactus
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    Like @snowhitie, all my sets are neatly in ziploc bags, with folders of instructions and a huge pile of collapsed boxes (except the architecture and Ideas boxes, which are too solid to collapse).

I've started to think about breaking apart some sets for pieces though, the odd ones that aren't part of my main collecting. I don't know if I can bring myself to do it though!