Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Did you ever make a MOC around 1 piece from a set?

happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
Ok I'm new here but I was just thinking about something.   I don't even know what MOC stands for yet , but I know what it is.

I bought the set 41002: Emma's Karate Class and I really loved the printed plastic door piece!    It got me thinking if anyone has ever liked 1 o'l Lego pieces from a set so much that they build a MOC around it.

Sorry like I say I'm new around here and I only own 5 small sets so far so I am just trying to learn things.

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,302
    edited July 2015
    I sort of have - I really like some of the helicopter blade parts and wound up stuck with ideas for micro scale spaceships that use them as a base. I actually got to the point of ordering a variety of different colours to make a little fleet of them.

Microscale Spaceship

If a single piece is the inspiration then for me it does tend to be for small scale builds, but I'm sure others will have different examples.

-And by the way MOC stands for My Own Creation - I dislike the term personally because I think you can only really call something you build a MOC, in my opinion if someone else built it its at best an OC, but thats just me being fussy ;-)
  • happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
    Very cool Shib !
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    If I was building a MOC around a part like Shib did, then I would try to build something that highlights that part as much as possible, which can be very hard to do on larger builds. now if I were to build around a piece to see what I could make it do like some of the new SNOT (Studs Not On Top) parts then the part itself will likely disappear into the model but the build can be much bigger and far more complex.

also the "Nice Parts Usage" thread kind of is doing this, except there the part is assigned but the builds are still revolving around random parts. (currently a bowl)
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    MOC = "My Own Creation," in case you had not figured that out yet. :)

The NPU challenge here is a great example of being inspired by a part. Many people also compete in "Iron Builder" competitions, where a "seed part" is offered up to participants to build around.

• LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    If I was building a MOC around a part like Shib did, then I would try to build something that highlights that part as much as possible, which can be very hard to do on larger builds. now if I were to build around a piece to see what I could make it do like some of the new SNOT (Studs Not On Top) parts then the part itself will likely disappear into the model but the build can be much bigger and far more complex.

also the "Nice Parts Usage" thread kind of is doing this, except there the part is assigned but the builds are still revolving around random parts. (currently a bowl)
    I didn't know my game was popular enough to be mentioned! Cool.
  • brownbricks720brownbricks720 Cleveland, OhioMember Posts: 47
    I would say yes. Lately I have been trying to challenge myself in terms of building. I had maybe around 60 Lego capes laying around at home and was wondering what i could do with them. I managed to build a rose out of them. I always try to look at a piece or pieces in a different way. 
    ShibBrickDancermadforLEGOGalactus
  • happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
    Awesome rose!
    brownbricks720
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Done that several times, many times it also proves to be a great source of inspiration. Sometimes when I just feel like building something but have no clue what, I will choose an interesting use for a part and let the build form around that.

Last one was probably the bantha I've built exclusively around that technic wheel.

Chibi Bantha
    ShibBrickDancermadforLEGOGalactusVorpalRyu
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    My favorite one-piece-inspiration of yours @vitreolumis what you did with the new blasters :)
    ShibVorpalRyu