Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which starwars UCS set do I buy?

gandalfthebrickgandalfthebrick Member Posts: 40
Hi there, recently I have been thinking of purchasing my first starwars ucs set after catching the bug after seeing the all new tie fighter at my local Lego store!  I'd just like to ask what set shall I buy first to immerse my self in the collection that's currently available? After reading reviews on all currently available sets I'm undecided, and would greatly appreciate any feedback from other users! Obviously the sets are intended for display in my office (maybe the occasional swoosh around

Comments

• Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    I say you go with the one you fell in love with. I personally loved building the X-Wing (and recommend it), but I think you will always have an eye for that tie fighter :)
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,016
    Either the X-Wing or Slave 1, both great sets!
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    Sandcrawler. Very Impressing model.
  • DarthMorlDarthMorl Member Posts: 335
    Welcome to the crazy world of UCS sets!!
    If I was you as well as considering what you like best also look at which ones will be discontinued first as one they have been their prices will increase rapidly!
    For that reason my advice would be the Red 5 X-wing as it is likely to be the first of the current UCS sets to be discontinued 
    BrickDancer
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,469
    TarDomo said:
    Sandcrawler. Very Impressing model.
    If I were to buy a UCS SW set, it would likely be the Sandcrawler. However, there still is a nagging feeling that LEGO would build another non-UCS once the UCS one is gone.
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    I would rank them like this:
    1) Red 5 X-wing. Instantly recognizable display piece, iconic, good build, swooshable.
    2) Slave 1. Fairly recognizable display piece, minifigs, great build, swooshable, looks cool.
    3) Tie Fighter. Fairly recognizable display piece, iconic, looks swooshable, looks like a boringish build.
    4) Sand Crawler. Sort-of recognizable display piece, minifigs, great build, playable, kindof a big brown box with treads (sort of boring to look at).

My 2 cents...
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    UCS MF

:) 
  • Rsa33Rsa33 USAMember Posts: 156
    Lol rainstorm you beat me to it haha.

I would also suggest 10030 :)
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 202
    I have the X-wing and Slave One side by side! here is my two cents... I bought the X wing only because I got around 40 dollars off the original price. Don't get me wrong I love the X wing and it was a great nostalgic build however I think Lego have it over priced. 

The Slave One in my opinion is worth every penny with an extra 437 pieces to the X wing and the same price? mini figures are also worth the money in this set I mean 2015 Boba Fett! worth 40 dollars alone! 

You will enjoy both sets and both builds and both look fantastic when displayed but if you are building on a budget then I definitely recommend the Slave One. 

With regards to retired UCS sets I recommend looking out for the AT ST 10174 if you are lucky you can pick one up complete and in good condition on Ebay for 160 dollars. 

Good Luck 
  • gandalfthebrickgandalfthebrick Member Posts: 40
    i can only dream rainstorm :wink: 

Thanks everyone for the advice, as it stands at the moment im leaning towards the slave 1, as it just looks like a beautiful display piece! still definitely tempted by the x-wing though...
  • BrewBrew New Mexico (It's an actual state in the US)Member Posts: 182
    OP did mention currently available sets, but if your going to include retired sets, here is my ranking for great display sets:

Sky's the limit $ wise;
    1) UCS MF - It really is stunning in person, iconic, build is fantastic, no swooshability, needs a lot of area to display (360 viewing is best).

~$1000 used wise;
    2) 10030 UCS Star Destroyer - It is also very stunning in person, iconic, build is good but can be repetitive, no swooshing, needs a lot of area to display (360 viewing is best).

~$500 used wise;
    3) 10212 Imperial Shuttle - Really good display piece, minifigs, build is kinda hard on the fingers, wings fold up, borderline swooshable, great value.
    4) 10175 Tie Advance - Good display, iconic, build is a little repetitive, swooshable.

~$300 wise;
    5) 10225 R2-D2 - Really good display although a little smaller than most UCS, iconic, build is fun, play features.

If money were not a factor, I'd stick Red 5 and Slave 1 right after 10030 with current Tie Fighter followed by Sand Crawler right after R2-D2.
  • MathiasMathias United StatesMember Posts: 94
    I have the tie fighter, the slave1 and the super star destroyer. All are very impressive in their own right. But my absolute favorite is the slave 1. Fun and interesting build. Its also and incredibly awesome looking set.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    edited July 2015
    Also despite the fact that they aren't as popular as many of the others, #10215 and #10227 are relatively easy to find for a good price online. Their builds might be considered subpar by some, but they are certainly unique when compared to others (the Star Destroyers, but mostly because of all of the gray brick).

Also you might want to look at some of the more larger sets designed for play (without a decrease in build/design) as well including #10188 and #10236. The former is a visual treat in the flesh (brick?), while the latter really captures as much of the scene as it can (in Lego form). Both of these sets are being predicted to retire soon, so keep that in mind as well.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,152
    I'm about to start thinning out my collection and stick with UCS OT, there are a few ships I wish i'd gotten that were around when I was thinking about getting back into Lego, but they seemed silly money then.

I did the 10179 the hard way by bricklinking it years later.

For the OP, if you fancy all of the sets currently out, I would start with the one that's been out the longest - the X-wing. My favourite of the current UCS ships out is Slave I.

I'd like a re-release of the ISD next time TLG do a repeat rather than a new never done before set, the 10030 looks great, but i'm too tight to pay aftermarket prices for it!

• landolando Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2015
    Slave 1 .. For me its the best Star Wars ucs set mind you I only really collect anything to do with boba fett being my favourite character. I did once try and  to collect all the Star Wars  ucs sets but quickly found out that I couldn't afford to lol
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    ^^^ it's tough to collect them all. I'm almost there
    I feel a debate about what sets are actually UCS would be helpful...... 
    I joke I joke...... Collective sigh of relief lol :blush: 
    SumoLego
    Drmnez said:
    ^^^ it's tough to collect them all. I'm almost there
    Hats off to you Drmnez that has got to be some fine looking collection you have 
    edited July 2015
    @DarthMorl lol I try to go by what "Lego calls UCS" which a lot of ppl don't agree with. @lando I am missing Yoda, original xwing, rebel blockade runner, naboo starfighter, snowspeeder, and the TIE fighter. Just a matter of where to put it all now
    Drmnez said:
    @DarthMorl lol I try to go by what "Lego calls UCS" which a lot of ppl don't agree with. @lando I am missing Yoda, original xwing, rebel blockade runner, naboo starfighter, snowspeeder, and the TIE fighter. Just a matter of where to put it all now
    Ye I can imagine you need one hell of a space to put that little lot but I bet it will look very cool on display 
    @Drmnez which ones do Lego class as UCS? 
    edited July 2015
    ^well outside of the marked sets, Lego made a poster a few years ago that listed "the UCS" sets. Ie cloud city, tired collection, tantive iv, etc and a lot of people don't agree with that. I've been trying to ask Lego about it though because space I limited and I want to get rid of sets I don't need for the collection.
    lando
    Do you have a pic of the poster?
    PERSONALLY if it does not have UCS on the box I don't regard it as one. I did once email Lego customer service and ask but never got a reply!! 
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    edited July 2015
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    ...and around and around we go...
    SumoLegoRainstorm26
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,012
    Did we have a debate about this poster?  
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    I've heard about the poster but never seen it, so thanks for posting that @Vortex. Personally, I'd ignore it and go with the list on Brickset, which seems the match the idea of 'amazing model for display' better.

Getting the thread back on track, I have the B-Wing, Red Five and Slave 1. They are all excellent models for display (the B-Wing is suprisingly large), but Red Five would probably just edge it out. Its a great model, and has the benefit of been instantly recognizable to basically everybody.
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515

^^^ It says Ultimate Lego Star Wars sets not Ultimate Collector's Series so does someone know if they really mean UCS or just some ultimate-looking sets and most of the best looking sets simply are UCS? Has TLG told these are all UCS sets?

• steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 202
    It would be nice to see the AT-ST remade