Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

any idea what the 2015 winter village set is?

Comments

• LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    goshe7 said:
    pharmjod said:
    That is the problem. I am fairly certain it is a small minority that would even care. It irritates me when businesses make decisions based on the anticipated outrage of a tiny fraction of people with nothing better to do than be offended in life.
    The size of the fraction doesn't matter.  The volume of their voice does.  And unfortunately, the contingent dedicated to keeping anything religious contained to houses of worship have a loud voice. 
    Related: Many people where I live eat meat and think vegans are loud, obnoxious people who think us folks eating a natural diet of delicious bacon are pure evil, but in reality, a lot of vegans don't give a single shoot what everyone else eats. It's just those loud ones that ruined it for the quiet ones.
    pharmjodbobabricks
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2015
    Of course it could just be that they dont want to make a church. 

I couldn't care less if they did or didn't but there's plenty of things I'd rather have for my winter village. But then id also love an entire theme around WW2, but thats not going to happen either. 

It is quite funny seeing Americans complaining about loud anti-religious types. A country where religious types are so loud they stop some children being taught properly and go to all kinds of lengths to stop two people marrying. But that's getting off topic ;)

Actually now I think of it I would love to see a winter church, so long as it came with a winter gay wedding as part of it. That I would love to see.
    TheBigLegoskiXefanLordofLegoJern92
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,416
    @cheshirecat  Spot on!

Also off topic, though I don't think it feasible, but a huge Gothic cathedral (such as the one in Köln or Cologne in English, or one of the many other beautiful ones you can find in many places throughout Europe) in Lego on the scale of the Taj Mahal could be epic, if done well. Why? Not because I care for religious symbols, but because Gothic architecture is just beautiful. Though knowing that Lego has this policy I can't even feel the slightest disappointment that TLG probably never will make such a set. You can always MOC one yourself, if you have or are prepared to get thousands of bricks you need for such a build.

On topic:
    To me in July, Christmas and any Winter Village set is so far away, I don't really feel like thinking about it much, but now that I have read this topic; how about another cottage (with an open back) with a large dining room/hall with a large family and/or group of friends seated at a huge dining table enjoying a exuberant feast. A set with lots of food thingies, a huge cake, a roasted fowl, chicken legs, pretzels and croissants etc. #4842 is a set I don't have but has something like it what I am thinking of.

• readersamreadersam USAMember Posts: 62
    pharmjod said:
    @goshe7 you're supporting my point. They have no power other than out shouting everyone. I would like to see companies ignore them as their opinion is meaningless in the scheme of business and profitability. And if they start getting ignored often enough, they might get the hint and find things to be for rather than against.
    I wouldn't say that the vocal have no power. On a somewhat unrelated note, the vocal religious got the Harry Potter books banned in some southern states as they deemed it satanic due to the witchcraft. It took years before it was overturned. 
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 403
    edited July 2015
    @pharmjod -- don't be so sure that a consumer's opinion is meaningless in the scheme of business and profitability.  LEGO severed ties with Shell, presumably in part because of consumer activism, and there are many, many success stories of consumers changing awful business practices and awful business decisions through collective action.  Businesses can choose to offend whomever they want, but the wider the offended audience is or may be, the better the chance that it will be bad for the business and bad for their profits.  Don't underestimate the power of shouting, especially when a group with a strongly-held opinion is doing the shouting.

@goshe7 -- To bring up the Church example, as an AFOL, I guess I would not mind a detailed church model, but I'm not particularly interested in having LEGO dive into a religious theme.  What's next?  A nativity scene?  Christ on the cross?  Don't forget about inclusiveness, so you will need a mosque, hindu temple, synagogue, and maybe even a pagan alter for good measure.  Offering up a church model opens up a whole big can of worms that LEGO rightly, IMO, wants to avoid.

With that said, they did just release a church as a free build, so let the slippery slope begin!  :)

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2015
    The Shell decision is / was cowardice on LEGO'S part. The overwhelming vast majority of consumers couldn't care less that LEGO has a partnership with Shell. Boycots of popular brands really don't seem to be effective. See Chic Fil A in the USA as a prime example. Also, to a lesser extent, Rush Limbaugh is still going strong. Companies just embolden these loudmouths when they capitulate. Pure and simple. 
    TXLegoguy
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    The problem with a church is the snowball effect, some people will be annoyed and boycott Lego, though sure, not many. The next step though is that there'll be demands for equality and for a mosque, and frankly there are a lot of ignorant people who will then make stupid remarks about how Lego is supporting terrorism (I expect Donald Trump or someone equally dumb will be leading those calls), and then those people will be boycotting Lego too. You'll then get requests for Buddhist monasteries, Jewish synagogues, and Hindu temples. Of course Lego can't win, because then they'll get the anti-semites after them if they create a synagogue, or they'll get accused of bias if they don't make one or the other. Conspiracy theorists will be calling it Lego's anti-semitic bias, or a pro-Israeli anti-palestinian conspiracy depending on which they choose or whatever nonsense the crackpots come up with nowadays.

Really, it's a lose-lose situation for them. The amount of people willing to boycott them is pretty much zero if they make none of these things, the snowball effect of opening that can of worms is unpredictable. Catering to one religion over another brings out the worst in people, it's a game where the only way to win is to simply not play.
    CupIsHalfEmptymadforLEGOTheBigLegoski
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    @cheshirecat@ToddMeyers - Excellent analogy with Shell.  That is exactly what I was trying to say, only you communicated it much better.  

I perhaps should have phrased it better.  What I meant to convey was "And unfortunately (for those that want a LEGO set produced that carries a religious association), the contingent dedicated to keeping anything religious contained to houses of worship have a loud voice (in the United States, as evidenced by the many ongoing political cases dealing with displays of religious content on governmental property and initiatives to enforce the Constitutional separation of church and state)

Not a complaint.  I'm just recognizing that in many situations the majority opinion of the general population is less relevant to actions and outcomes than the majority opinion of those that actively seek to provide input to the outcomes.  
    bgl_84
    pharmjod said:
    The Shell decision is / was cowardice on LEGO'S part. The overwhelming vast majority of consumers couldn't care less that LEGO has a partnership with Shell. Boycots of popular brands really don't seem to be effective. See Chic Fil A in the USA as a prime example. Also, to a lesser extent, Rush Limbaugh is still going strong. Companies just embolden these loudmouths when they capitulate. Pure and simple.
    Cowardice?  Nonsense.

Of course some boycotts do not work, but others do.  I have no problem with the "loudmouths" because often, they have something important or culturally relevant to say. I may disagree with them, but I have no interest in trying to suppress their right to say it.  What a company does in response to such speech is ultimately a business decision.  Chic Fil A stuck to their guns and remained unapologetic for their position, and they survived the firestorm just fine.  LEGO decided to sever ties with Shell and -- guess what -- they made over 1.2 billion in profits last year. They survived and, the last time I checked, Shell was still kicking around just fine, too.

As you said yourself, the overwhelming vast majority could not care less -- either way, they simply do not care, so if the vast majority does not care and a vocal minority does care, then I see absolutely no harm in decisions like severing ties with Shell.  With the vast majority ambivalent and a small minority for it, that only leaves a small minority who disapproves (for whatever reason).  I haven't heard many of those disapproving people boycotting LEGO for their decision, so ultimately, LEGO lost no customers over the dust-up.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    edited July 2015
    I didn't mind the cottage, but it was huge compared to the toy shoppe and post office and bakery. I can't imagine living quarters would be that much larger than the rest. I realize LEGO isn't realistic scaling, just seems off for a village. I liked the scale of the first three, then the cottage was too big. And then the fair/market was neat, but disjointed. The scale of the Santa's workshop was good compared to the first three, but unfortunately, I could see that building being slightly bigger. LEGO just can't win. With that said, I'd like to have seen the Workshop more uniform and consistent. The window designs and wall colors seemed really mismatched.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,431
    Xefan said:
    The problem with a church is the snowball effect, some people will be annoyed and boycott Lego, though sure, not many. The next step though is that there'll be demands for equality and for a mosque, and frankly there are a lot of ignorant people who will then make stupid remarks about how Lego is supporting terrorism (I expect Donald Trump or someone equally dumb will be leading those calls), and then those people will be boycotting Lego too. You'll then get requests for Buddhist monasteries, Jewish synagogues, and Hindu temples. Of course Lego can't win, because then they'll get the anti-semites after them if they create a synagogue, or they'll get accused of bias if they don't make one or the other. Conspiracy theorists will be calling it Lego's anti-semitic bias, or a pro-Israeli anti-palestinian conspiracy depending on which they choose or whatever nonsense the crackpots come up with nowadays.

and those guys screaming terrorism and antisemitism everywhere are unable to come with any real argument, but they are still the ones the medias and authorities will listen to...

ToddMyers said:
    LEGO decided to sever ties with Shell and -- guess what -- they made over 1.2 billion in profits last year. They survived and, the last time I checked, Shell was still kicking around just fine, too.
    And an equally compelling argument is that LEGO would have made the same 1.2 billion in profit by sticking with Shell rather than rolling over. It is giving the voices that scream the time of day that makes them continue to scream. Kind of like dealing with an unruly preschooler. Severing ties with Shell served no purpose other than duck and cover from what amounts to someone with a straw shooting spit-wads. That is cowardice in my book. I respect companies more that ignore those voices-especially in cases where it is just pure nonsense-and just keep doing business.
    juggles7BrickDancerdougtsTXLegoguyGoldchainsbobabricks
    pharmjod said:
    ToddMyers said:
    LEGO decided to sever ties with Shell and -- guess what -- they made over 1.2 billion in profits last year. They survived and, the last time I checked, Shell was still kicking around just fine, too.
    And an equally compelling argument is that LEGO would have made the same 1.2 billion in profit by sticking with Shell rather than rolling over. It is giving the voices that scream the time of day that makes them continue to scream. Kind of like dealing with an unruly preschooler. Severing ties with Shell served no purpose other than duck and cover from what amounts to someone with a straw shooting spit-wads. That is cowardice in my book. I respect companies more that ignore those voices-especially in cases where it is just pure nonsense-and just keep doing business.
    Yep, that's what I thought -- your primary gripe seems to be that you disagree with the voices that did not like the association with Shell.  Sorry you didn't get your way.  Happens sometimes. LEGO listened to people whom you apparently disagree with, and the majority of folks were ambivalent about it and it made some folks quite happy.  Not sure what harm you suffered or LEGO suffered, so I just don't think your argument is "equally compelling".  I respect LEGO for making that call, and I'm sorry that you have such a negative view towards consumer activism.  One think that we can probably agree on is that I'm fairly certain that I'm not gonna change your mind here in the Brickset forum.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2015
    It wasn't "his way," and he didn't claim to suffer any harm.  There's no need to get so personally catty when you're trying to have a logical discussion.
    dougtsTXLegoguypharmjodTheBigLegoskiBriking
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,960
    So, a church with a Shell tanker truck and a group of demonstrators, a couple of vegans and a side of bacon for our next winter theme set? ;-)
    pharmjodToc13dougtsgoshe7bobabricksalexwilRonyarAdeelZubairsklamb
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,465
    They didn't sever ties anyway, they went right ahead and did the lego with petrol promotion as planned. They just didn't sign any new agreements, and only Lego and Shell know if any further cross promotions were planned.
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 260
    Candy store / bakery (2.0)?
    LostInTranslationTheLoneTensor
    tamamahm said:
    So, a church with a Shell tanker truck and a group of demonstrators, a couple of vegans and a side of bacon for our next winter theme set? ;-)

For a minute I thought you were going to say they all walked into a bar... :)
    tamamahm
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,549
    Ah @Grogall how you tease us?! 

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited July 2015
    readersam said:
    I wouldn't say that the vocal have no power. On a somewhat unrelated note, the vocal religious got the Harry Potter books banned in some southern states as they deemed it satanic due to the witchcraft. It took years before it was overturned. 
    this is fairly large exaggeration or at least an accidental misstating of the facts.  There was NO case of the book "being banned in some Southern states". 

In truth, a few extremists in a few schools or towns attempted to get the books removed or restricted.  Most of them lost.  Those that initially succeeded in a handful of places eventually had those successes overturned
    SumoLego
    OOOOH. I sooooo hope that was a clue. I have been wanting that for years ever since I saw a wonderful MOC.
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 260
    On second thought...Gingerbread house with Mr. and Mrs. Gingerbread?  (from the CMF line)?  Trying to take this thread back to wanton speculation... :smiley: 
    LostInTranslation
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,322
    tamamahm said:
    OOOOH. I sooooo hope that was a clue. I have been wanting that for years ever since I saw a wonderful MOC.
    It was most certainly a clue. @Grogall has never been wrong... And he loves to tease.
    natro220pharmjoddougtstamamahmSethro3Lego_StarRonyar
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,549
    Gingerbread house would be FAB! 
    natro220pharmjodbobabricksAdeelZubair
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    tamamahm said:
    Agreed.  A most excellent choice of subject matter that I will be very excited to see.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,617
    Gingerbread house would be FAB! 
    I'm guessing that would be a likely one after this toy factory/shop for this year.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I would love a sweet shop but not so keen on a gingerbread house. After the Santa's workshop it would be taking the winter village even further into a fantasy realm which would be a shame. The theme may have lost its roots and become slightly more about disjointed individual display pieces. Gingerbread house mocs often look amazing but they wouldn't go well with a post office, bakery and toy shop.
    madforLEGOShibbluedragon
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,294
    I love making Gingerbread houses at christmas...but actual gingerbread houses. I have seen some Christmas Village models that include gingerbread houses, but it seems weird to me. 

I'd be really pleased with some kind of Winter Village Sweet Shop, if it is a Gingerbread house I'll probably still get it, but it will go with Santa's Workshop and the Market as a bit of a tourist attraction for my Winter Village set up.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    pharmjod said:
    There is another equally likely possibility, and that's simply that TLG's staff actually identify with the issues raised by Greenpeace and made the change because after it had been brought to their attention they decided it was time to stand by what they believe in and break that long standing association.

Your whole argument is based on the premise that TLG believes, like you presumably do, that Shell is a harmless and ethical organisation. But it's equally likely that many TLG employees themselves have long had a distaste for Shell and chose that opportunity as a point for the company to stand for what it believes in. In that case, it would be the exact opposite of cowardice, it would be TLG actually standing for what it and it's employees believe in.

I don't think you can realistically make any judgement about TLG on the Shell issue unless you actually know what was said in those board meetings where the decision was reached. This could well be an honourable act by those who agree that Shell is unethical as much as a cowardly act by some who ran scared. The real issue presumably is that you don't have a problem with Shell and are upset that they broke the association, but that's a different thing.

Any argument about whether it was cowardly or honourable, and declaring as fact one way or another is meaningless when no one here knows the reason they came to the decision they did - the only debate people can realistically have here is whether they agree or disagree that shell is unethical and should not be associated with Lego, but that's a debate based entirely on personal opinion.
    If they really cared from an ethical standpoint, they would have cancelled the promotion in countries where it hadn't started, such as the UK. The fact they didn't either points to them saying what they did to make the bad press go away or any (financial) penalty clauses in the contract with Shell outweighed their ethical viewpoint.
    As to winter village sets, sweet shop - I might be in. Gingerbread house - I'm out (as part of the theme). A Gingerbread house is nice as a standalone (we had one for Xmas after the gingerbread man came out) but I don't see it fitting in with the theme.
    @Xefan You make valid points. I do think it would be more than a little hypocrital of a company whose entire existence is dependant on a petroleium based plastic product to take issue with SHELL. So now we are looking at either an act of cowardice or hypocrisy. That LEGO has announced the plan to make the brick greener suggests the latter for the time being, though perhaps only hypocrisy borne out of necessity. I am not optimistic about the future of the brick if they go to a greener option though. I am doubtful any product will give as satisfactory an experience as ABS.

On a related note, LEGO also responded to the ludicrous claim about the Jabbas Palace. Granted, they didn't actually do anything, but even acknowledging it was silly as it was so fringe it was abusurd. 
    cheshirecatdougts
  • readersamreadersam USAMember Posts: 62
    dougts said:
    readersam said:
    this is fairly large exaggeration or at least an accidental misstating of the facts.  There was NO case of the book "being banned in some Southern states". 

In truth, a few extremists in a few schools or towns attempted to get the books removed or restricted.  Most of them lost.  Those that initially succeeded in a handful of places eventually had those successes overturned
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant banned from schools and libraries, not the general population. 

http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/02/04/abim/pw-potter.html
    @cheshirecat  Spot on!

Also off topic, though I don't think it feasible, but a huge Gothic cathedral (such as the one in Köln or Cologne in English, or one of the many other beautiful ones you can find in many places throughout Europe) in Lego on the scale of the Taj Mahal could be epic, if done well. Why? Not because I care for religious symbols, but because Gothic architecture is just beautiful. Though knowing that Lego has this policy I can't even feel the slightest disappointment that TLG probably never will make such a set. You can always MOC one yourself, if you have or are prepared to get thousands of bricks you need for such a build.

On topic:
    To me in July, Christmas and any Winter Village set is so far away, I don't really feel like thinking about it much, but now that I have read this topic; how about another cottage (with an open back) with a large dining room/hall with a large family and/or group of friends seated at a huge dining table enjoying a exuberant feast. A set with lots of food thingies, a huge cake, a roasted fowl, chicken legs, pretzels and croissants etc. #4842 is a set I don't have but has something like it what I am thinking of.

They've got like fifty people in the village and only one house. What they need is a bunch of smallish cottages but only two or three minifigures so there will be housing for the old ones! But that will never happen.
    pharmjod said:
    @Xefan You make valid points. I do think it would be more than a little hypocrital of a company whose entire existence is dependant on a petroleium based plastic product to take issue with SHELL. So now we are looking at either an act of cowardice or hypocrisy. That LEGO has announced the plan to make the brick greener suggests the latter for the time being, though perhaps only hypocrisy borne out of necessity. I am not optimistic about the future of the brick if they go to a greener option though. I am doubtful any product will give as satisfactory an experience as ABS.

On a related note, LEGO also responded to the ludicrous claim about the Jabbas Palace. Granted, they didn't actually do anything, but even acknowledging it was silly as it was so fringe it was abusurd. 
    Yeah. Lego will go out with ABS. Once they stop using it, people will stop liking them so much and others who still use (even inferior) petroleum-based bricks will get ahead. Unless, of course, they make a mixture of ABS and Eco-friendly. I just don't picture them being successful without ABS. But I believe there is already a thread for this discussion, so let's take this discussion there if we are going to continue it. 
    ABS can be non-crude derived. Rather expensive, but possible.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Christmas float

Christmas in Hawaii

Building a big snowman

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    readersam said:
    dougts said:
    readersam said:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant banned from schools and libraries, not the general population. 

http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/02/04/abim/pw-potter.html
    And again, most of those challenges failed.  It only takes one whack job to instigate a challenge, so it isn't really indicative of even a majority in their individual town or school 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,617
    edited July 2015
    Remember when this was a thread on what the next Winter Village set was going to be?
    Can we just agree that, whether people like it or not, there is going to be no LEGO church/chapel other than what people MOC? I'm guessing no, but anyway....

What @LordofLego says is an interesting concept. Maybe a 99.99 USD set of a small set of cottages. As much as I dislike these being 99.99 USD if they had a set with 3 decent size cottages, or maybe a ski lodge that would be something interesting I think.
    LostInTranslationmr.piggles
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I wonder how small they would be though. The last large cottage was $99 also. So imagine breaking that set into 3 cottages. They would be too small to warrant it (although they would probably be in better scale with the original sets).

Honestly, I am okay with things diverging a bit. The reality for me is that there have been so many sets, that I simply can not display them all together. Now, what I could do, though, is have one area that has a winter village theme, and another area that is more North Pole/fantasy-themed. Plus, didn't they stop calling it winter theme last year? Isn't it just now part of the Creator line? Last year was definitely not part of a Village theme. 
    LostInTranslation
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    "Sweet" is too good a hint to ignore.  A candy store with Christmas treats would fit in well to the existing Winter Village.  Slightly different than the bakery.  

A Winter Village church built from these?  Probably not.
    tamamahm
  • Captain_EyebrowCaptain_Eyebrow Test Valley, looking at that new brand store that is coming to Southampton by Christmas 2019 . . . .Member Posts: 143
    Sigh, still no reveal. Still can't be long as October 1st is just around the corner!
    tamamahm
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,610
    edited August 2015
    I know this contradicts what Grogall has said, but I've been told that this year's Winter Village set is indeed a Toy Shop, which will be for sale at £59.99 in the UK. Unfortunately I don't know any more details than that.
  • NesquikNesquik Member Posts: 30
    This year's set is Winter Village Toy Shop. Unusually, it is a rerelease of the original 2009 version barring some minor substitutions and different box artwork. Early VIP access is mid-September (Advent Calendars on sale from beginning of), full access from October.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    Nesquik said:
    This year's set is Winter Village Toy Shop. Unusually, it is a rerelease of the original 2009 version barring some minor substitutions and different box artwork. Early VIP access is mid-September (Advent Calendars on sale from beginning of), full access from October.
    That is so beyond disappointing. 
    BrickDancergoshe7RevBlues
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    Nesquik said:

What is your source?  That would be the worst outcome possible for most of us on here......(unless you didn't get the first one)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,610
    I really hope it isn't a re-release.

My wallet hopes it is...
  • NesquikNesquik Member Posts: 30
    natro220 said:
    Nesquik said:

What is your source?  That would be the worst outcome possible for most of us on here......(unless you didn't get the first one)
    Seen it in person. Piece count is in the 800s, identical apart from a couple of colour changes and maybe the odd piece change.

Sort-of off topic, but I've also seen the follow up to Sydney. Not spoiling the surprise, but you'll find an extra pair of hands when building it... 
    Jern92