Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Thoughts on LEGO City 2012

The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
edited November 2011 in Collecting
I am a huge collector of LEGO City, and was fairly dismayed when I saw the new 2012 City sets. The vehicles are OK, but LEGO is focusing too much on Police. Another police helicopter, police car, and police station. I think our LEGO Cities have enough Police :(

Comments

• llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    I love the new 2012 Sets with an exception of a few. I just got done building the new Car & Caravan and the Garbage truck. They are amazing and are well built. I am looking forward to getting the Bandit's Hide-Out, Police Pursuit, Tipper Truck, Dirt Bike Transport, Ambulance, Recycle Truck, and Police Dog Van....I know 3 of those sets are the Forest Police but I like the non-police vehicles that come with them. It'll give cities a (finally) diverse set of vehicles.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    edited November 2011
    I suspect the police stuff keeps getting made because it keeps selling. Just a hunch of course... :)
    I would like more stuff like Public Transport and Garage, but those seem like rare sets...
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    ^^ Agreed. The Public Transport is an excellent addition to any City Layout, as well as the Garage.
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    Looking forward to getting my hands on the sets.....I agree re police but it must sell I suppose. The caravan looks very cool indeed. Any sign of UK release dates?
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    The Police sets are always in the top selling sets for the year; the big Police Station set especially is always a big seller in the run up to Christmas. It's always about the money ...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    ^ And predictably enough, the Police Station is currently second only to Hogwarts Castle in the Amazon (UK) LEGO bestseller list; even prior to being discounted by 33% it was riding quite high, incidentally.
    I prefer set 7744 Police Headquarters over 7498 Police Station. Granted I own both BUT 7744 is more visually pleasing compared to 7498.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Wasn't the camper the bestselling on amazon for about 6 months? Admittedly it was reduced to about £10 that whole time. But that's a fair price for the set. I think it has such universal appeal, to boys, girls, and AFOLS. I wonder if the caravan will also have the same appeal?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I bought the camper for $12.99 a few months ago from Amazon, my daughter loves it... :)
    edited November 2011
    Wasn't the camper the bestselling on amazon for about 6 months? Admittedly it was reduced to about £10 that whole time. But that's a fair price for the set. I think it has such universal appeal, to boys, girls, and AFOLS. I wonder if the caravan will also have the same appeal?
    I am sure it will as it retails for 19.99 with 218 pieces and is both a car and a more detailed camper
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I think it has such universal appeal, to boys, girls, and AFOLS.
    It's a lovely set; an enjoyable build, nice parts mix, good interaction/play value ... pretty much perfect on every level. I've got a couple of spares stashed away for days when I need cheering up :-)

I can't see the car/caravan set living up to that high standard ... but it looks nice enough.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 772
    Purchased and built the new 2012 car/caravan set yesterday and enjoyed the build. The caravan opens up much like the lime/white camper from the previous years City lineup. A friend commented that the car should be as wide as the caravan but it comes in at 4 studs wide whereas the caravan comes in at 6. I loved the look of both and am enjoying the 2012 line so far. I couldnt believe the price of the Police Dog van set as it was $35 and it had the feel of a $25 set. The dark blue pick up set was $19.99 at TRU and it only has about 130 parts so I left that on the shelves until I can get that at a much cheaper price. The small blue police car is a cute set but that was $12.99 but I bought 2 at bogo plus I had $10 in rewards so they came out to about $5 each which was doable. Digging the sloped roof parts on the new small cars.

Not sure if this can be said about all of the 2011 sets but I also put together the log cabin set last night and the minifig head had a solid stud as did the heads in all of the 2012 sets I put together yesterday.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Traffic themed sets look great will be getting most of those. To be blunt I am bored of police but the chinnock helicopter looks cool so might get that. Anyone know what wave 2 has instore?
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Traffic themed sets look great will be getting most of those. To be blunt I am bored of police but the chinnock helicopter looks cool so might get that. Anyone know what wave 2 has instore?
    Is there perchance a new hospital en route? With the new ambulance being released I thought it might be a possibility and it has been a while?
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    With all those outdoor related sets, perhaps Lego's implying that we should all go out more often and get some fresh air, which is pretty ironic and will affect Lego's sales (j/k).

I kinda like the out new themes, since most of Lego previous sets are based on the usual themes since Legotown. It's nice we have something a bit different for a change. By why don't they call it Lego Wildlife or something of that sort?
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 772
    ^Just a guess but City is their best selling theme (Either more than Star Wars or just below) so LEGO would like to tie in with that success and call these new Forest sets City even though they would not be considered City because they are set in the middle of a forest.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 271
    I like many of the new City sets. One thought on the Recycle Truck - Why do they need 3 different bins? Wouldn't all the recycling go into the same (plastic) bin? ;)
    ^ we have 3 bins at home.....one for paper, cardboard, tins, etc.....one for garden waste and one for glass. As well as the general refuse bin the side of our house is busy!. I suppose they are following that kind of thinking.
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    I'm thinking the Police stuff is just a different precinct in a suburb of Legoville. Obviously out in the boonies. ;-)
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I think they were pretty much inspired by the Rangers in some US states. I don't think they have those kind of cops in other parts of the world.
    Oh, and nice to see Lego's contributing to the environment by separating their refuse, even in their sets. Shows how much Lego cares! ;)
  • UtarEmpireUtarEmpire Member Posts: 3
    LEGO has focused on police since kingdom come. Now the nanny state can spread its wings even to the forests and furthest reaches of LEGO civilisation!

I do like the garbage truck and the ambulance, but I was kind of hoping for at least one new civic or commercial building that doesn't involve 24-hour surveillance.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    I wonder if the makers of the original Sim City game and Lego are related. In that game you pretty much needed a police station on every city block or your crime levels would be through the roof.

Lego cities are SO, so safe.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    I do like the bear. I hope they introduce more "wild" animals. These would fit in perfectly with the log cabin set.

Brent