Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

WIN All 6 LEGO Jurassic World Sets with ToysWorld!

ToysWorldToysWorld UKMember Posts: 16
ToysWorld have teamed up with LEGO to give away all 6 of the LEGO Jurassic World sets!

To enter, simply go to:
http://www.toysworldreviews.com/competition-win-all-6-lego-jurassic-world-sets/

Then, in the comments section, tell us your Favourite Dinosaur, your Name and Town!

You will then be entered into the competition and 1 lucky winner will be announced on 1st August 2015!

Good Luck!

The ToysWorld Team
toysworldreviews.com
BumblepantsSuperTramprancorbait

Comments

• DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    Is it open to the world or the just the UK ?
  • ToysWorldToysWorld UKMember Posts: 16
    Yep - Worldwide :)
    Dawn
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    @ToysWorld, two things:

1 It's ToysWorld *has* teamed up, not *have*, because you are a singular entity
    2. we'd appreciate being asked before posting notice of competitions, posted primarily to boost traffic to your site.

Thanks
    CommanderRaabXefan
    Hi Huw - not sure if this is a forum we want to continue being part of considering your hostile approach to new members.

1) you corrected our post for grammar, but seem to have a similar problem with your reply: "we'd appreciate being asked before posting notice of competitions".

Posting *a* notice / posting *notices*

2) We did not post to primarily boost traffic to our site. We posted because we thought your forum members would find the competition of interest - which they have, thanks to the volume of entires we have had so far. If it was purely traffic we were interested in, we would have directed people to the homepage.

Look, you guys have a great site and forum, and no ill was intended by our post. Can we just get on? After all, we are all fans of LEGO :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,769
    edited July 2015
    ^ hopefully your enjoyment and knowledge of Lego will come out in all the non self promotional posts you make.
    CommanderRaab
    Nothing in that post was self promotional apart from including a link to a competition. We didn't wax lyrical about how great the site is e.t.c.

Literally all we have done is let the Brickset members know about a LEGO competition which would be of interest.

Honestly, look back over our post and look at the reply we get. Would you be inclined to want to stay after seeing the reception?
  • DreamyBongoDreamyBongo Member Posts: 13
    It looks tacky when you make posts like this. You might have been on the front page if you contacted brickset first.
    You know what, please go ahead and delete this thread. Would appreciate a mod closing our account down too.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,769
    ToysWorld said:
    Nothing in that post was self promotional apart from including a link to a competition. We didn't wax lyrical about how great the site is e.t.c.

You are promoting your own site though, aren't you. Isn't the point of the competition to (i) know about your site and (ii) harvest email addresses. 
    No - were not asking for email addresses, we've only asked for name and town and the only purpose of the post was to let LEGO fans know about a cool LEGO competition.

People could either enter in the comments section on the competition entry or email us.

Judging from the comments, it seems we came to the wrong place.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Hmm, your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

No press is bad press, right?
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    For what it's worth, there is nothing wrong with self promotion, there is nothing wrong with generating a mailing list in exchange for the chance to win half a dozen Lego sets, and for the record this is exactly the site to come to. Add in a love of Lego and a willingness to engage with the broader community and Brickset is quite a powerful 'tool'.

What is wrong is not contacting the site administrator first. Huw has always been more than happy for people to run competitions on the site and even cross promote other Lego sites and communities and this happens all the time, I've even run a few myself, but it's just good form to ask first, especially given the effort that goes into the upkeep of this site and its reputation.

If you are serious about Lego then you really need to be part of this community so maybe taking a breath and starting over might be a good idea, like many people I appriciate a good competition, even for an email address. But if you are starting a website, business, community forum, or whatever it happens to be, then you need to go about it in the right way and having a thick skin, broad shoulders and a sense of humour to brush things off and move forward doesn't hurt.
    TheBigLegoski
    Have sent a message to Huw ;)
    SuperTrampbendybadger
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    For me as a general user of the forum, I didn't like the way ToysWorld just barged into the forum.  Brickset is more of a community than most other forums and it is a credit to Huw that it is built up this way and it is probably why it has a large loyal following.

It would have been nice for Toysworld to introduce themselves into the forum and probably should have contacted Huw first.

Having said that it is now water under the bridge and mistakes happen.  Welcome to the forums Toysworld and I look forward to your posts.  I will be entering your competition shortly as well as we all love a chance for some free Lego
    TheBigLegoskiLordofLego
  • Cryonic2099Cryonic2099 MSMember Posts: 9
    Am I the only one here who's actually grateful for a heads-up on a drawing that I'd like to win? I'm not sure where all of the hostility is coming from, but it seems out of character from what I'm used to on this site.
    ReesesPiecesTheBigLegoskiLind_WhispererSethro3LordofLego
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,431
    I'm also grateful for the heads up, it's a great competition and I hope @ToysWorld aren't to put off.

The issue is, whenever posting a link to your own site, if it's a site that could in anyway be viewed as competition then it's generally considered good practice to check with the site owner. Also I think Huw's had a hard few days after the pley debacle so I suspect that any hostile tone in his post was more a reflection of having been through the ringer a bit rather than actually meaning to be hostile.

I have to admit that when I first saw it posted I assumed that toys world might have already contacted someone at brickset to clear it, I forget that not everyone runs on the same practice. To their credit at least they were honest about who they are, people posting links to their own website/recommendations for their own company while pretending that they aren't someone with a vested interest really annoys me.
    Totally appreciate how it may have looked - we genuinely weren't wanting it to come across that we were looking for hits - we honestly just wanted to let you guys know about the competition as we ourselves a) love LEGO and b) love Jurassic Park / World :)

Either way we have dropped a DM to Huw to clear the air and hope to work closer with Brickset.
    TheBigLegoskiShibbendybadgerdannyrwwLind_WhispererkhmellymelGoldchainsrancorbait
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    edited July 2015
    @ToysWorld and I are cool now and it's all good... :-)
    ShibToysWorldTXLegoguyCoolguy5000khmellymelGoldchainsrancorbait
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    Group hug..... :p
    TheBigLegoskiToysWorlddannyrwwCoolguy5000Lind_WhispererkhmellymelGoldchainsrancorbaitLordofLego
    :)

• dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    Nothing like digital group hug amongst Lego fans
    bendybadgerLind_WhispererToysWorldGoldchainsLordofLego
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    edited July 2015
    dannyrww said:
    Nothing like digital group hug amongst Lego fans
    Eww...now everything is all sticky.... On topic, it sounds like a cool contest. Am entering shortly.
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    ToysWorld said:
    Hi Huw - not sure if this is a forum we want to continue being part of considering your hostile approach to new members.

1) you corrected our post for grammar, but seem to have a similar problem with your reply: "we'd appreciate being asked before posting notice of competitions".

Posting *a* notice / posting *notices*

2) We did not post to primarily boost traffic to our site. We posted because we thought your forum members would find the competition of interest - which they have, thanks to the volume of entires we have had so far. If it was purely traffic we were interested in, we would have directed people to the homepage.

Look, you guys have a great site and forum, and no ill was intended by our post. Can we just get on? After all, we are all fans of LEGO :)
    Hey, at least it's not Eurobricks.
    Winner has now been picked (and announced) - have PM'd Huw about the new LEGO competition we've just launched.