Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

US - Target summer clearance

Comments

• thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 240
    In store, when scanned, all LEGO sets show that Cartwheel is available at 20%. My hunch is that either the coupon is outdated or erroneous. 
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Worked on the Imperial Shuttle.  Matched Amazon at $96 then 25% off (Cartwheel + Redcard).  I'm content with this deal.  Probably will be a little cheaper in a few months or Christmas but I needed something decent to build.
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    Worked today on clearanced lego:

2x Five Armies
    milano
    darkseid

i wonder if the "LIMIT 20/Person" is actually in effect then...
    Milano @ Target in my area are mark up to 99.99 then 50% off
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,302
    It worked on the JW Indominus Rex set
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    bsiu922 said:
    Worked today on clearanced lego:

2x Five Armies
    milano
    darkseid

i wonder if the "LIMIT 20/Person" is actually in effect then...
    Milano @ Target in my area are mark up to 99.99 then 50% off
    Yeah. The "markup" was $5, right?

But 50% off (or do you mean 30% then the 20%?) is the awesome part!
  • mrbigz8657mrbigz8657 Member Posts: 21
    Same here. Milano was 62 before the discount. The cantina was 53 before the discount and minecraft creative box was 40 before discount. Total was 140 for the three sets
  • Vindic8edVindic8ed Member Posts: 163
    Target near me only had Milano marked down (to $70) and the little Chima Fangar Battle back ($8.50 down from 9 something).
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    Couple targets in Central VA had Milano at $49.98 ("50%" off), the rest at $69.98. I was able to get one at $49a couple of Bot5A for $42, and a couple Arctic Outposts for $25, all less another 20% from cartwheel.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    edited July 2015
    Couple targets in Central VA had Milano at $49.98 ("50%" off), the rest at $69.98. I was able to get one at $49a couple of Bot5A for $42, and a couple Arctic Outposts for $25, all less another 20% from cartwheel.
    did the one at virgina center have it
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,954
    Note. When I used the coupon last week, when you first see the coupon it states it does not work on Lego, BUT if you go to the actual fine print, it says nothing at all about any Lego exclusions.
    We are not huge Chima fans, but the Maula set my son had a wonderful time building. 
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    I believe the coupon has an expiration date of 7/20.

Has anyone tried it today?
    I'm curious to see if it still works or they corrected it as of the past week's snafu.
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 231
    Coupon expires today, 7/12. 
    NO!!!!!!
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    It works today got a duplo set but this is the last day 
    dragon114 said:
    did the one at virgina center have it

Assuming you mean Virginia Center Commons, they have it, but at the clearance proce of $69.98.
  • frog4gatorsfrog4gators Member Posts: 21
    Milano for $40 at Target!!!
  • knooseknoose Member Posts: 45
    My target had Darkseid's invasion on sale for $48.98. 20% off for the deal and it came out to $39.18 before tax. They had a bunch of them left if anyone is interested. I'm in CNY.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 835
    I price matched the imperial shuttle and the brick bounty with Amazon and then applied the 20%.  Came out to about $67 for the imperial shuttle and $72 for the brick bounty.
    knoosepreverepharmjod
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    Great price on the Shuttle! You can't really beat nearly 33% off for a new set.
    I price matched the imperial shuttle and the brick bounty with Amazon and then applied the 20%.  Came out to about $67 for the imperial shuttle and $72 for the brick bounty.
    Yeah I saw that Amazon dropped the price this morning.  I returned the shuttle I bought on Friday and re-purchased it at the lower price-match point.  I also purchased Final Duel (using the 20% and Amazon price match).  I'm not an Endor fan so I will be selling the figures from the Shuttle to pay off the purchase.  I kind of miss my UCS Shuttle that I sold.  This version is not as nice but much easier to display.  
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 461
    Let me get this straight, so the Cartwheel coupon for 20% off clearance toys worked on regular price sets?
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,302
    Yep
    Thanks for the confirmation.  I actually took the gamble and hurried to a Target before I got your response since they only had one Tydirium left.  I also did the Amazon PM followed by the Cartwheel coupon.  The only thing that sucks is it looks like Target puts security stickers on all of the more expensive sets, including the Tydirium.  It ends up ripping the surface layer of the box off when you try to remove it.  :'(
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^ Use a hair dryer on low setting to warm up the security sticker to loosen the glue.  Works pretty decently for me.  

RonyarBumblepants
    I wonder if they meant to code it so the discount did not work on any Lego set, and instead set it to it working on all Lego sets. I bought a princess set last night my daughter had considered, and yes, the code worked fine. 
  • BrickamoreBrickamore USAMember Posts: 56
    tamamahm said:
    I wonder if they meant to code it so the discount did not work on any Lego set, and instead set it to it working on all Lego sets. I bought a princess set last night my daughter had considered, and yes, the code worked fine. 
    Looking over my receipts, I noticed (besides that I spent too much) that the Cartwheel discount was taking 20% off Toys in general. I bought my daughter a $9.99 package of Shopkins and I received $2 off of it. 
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    MugenPowergoshe7 - "Target puts security stickers on all of the more expensive sets, including the Tydirium.  It ends up ripping the surface layer of the box off when you try to remove it. "

Use Goo Gone on stickers & they are easily removed leaving NO residue/You'll never tear a box again. http://googone.com/Home.aspx

Or lighter fluid. Also works well.
    MrJ_NY
    tamamahm said:
    Looking over my receipts, I noticed (besides that I spent too much) that the Cartwheel discount was taking 20% off Toys in general. I bought my daughter a $9.99 package of Shopkins and I received $2 off of it. 

I used the cartwheel app to scan one particular doll that was not on clearance and it actually did not connect to the code. I had scanned it because I had heard it had been working on other toys as well, but it did not work on this particular doll.  Items that did get the 20% did connect to the code when I scanned it with the app. 
    MrJ_NY said:
    MugenPowergoshe7 - "Target puts security stickers on all of the more expensive sets, including the Tydirium.  It ends up ripping the surface layer of the box off when you try to remove it. "

Use Goo Gone on stickers & they are easily removed leaving NO residue/You'll never tear a box again. http://googone.com/Home.aspx

I have Goo Gone but the stickers are plastic so it won't penetrate the sticker like a normal paper price tag sticker.  And if you mean to use it on the residue after you lift off the security sticker, that would work except for the fact that the sticker took its residue and a layer of the box with it.  :'(
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 245
    The Target I went to on Friday had nothing marked down. Nothing. The cartwheel app worked nicely on Brainiac and Hulkbuster though.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2015
    Let me get this straight, it's ok to take advantage of this glitch on new items, even though the terms state otherwise?  Not judging (ok, I am a little), but trying to understand where the line is between ok and not ok.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    ^ For me, the line is ok to use on clearance items because it says it's a coupon for clearance items. It is not ok to use on regular price items. IMO, there is absolutely no reason it should exclude Lego, that's just greedy men in suits trying to make a few extra bucks. 
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 245
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over Target losing a few bucks; it's not a mom-and-pop store struggling for every cent of profit. Some non-Lego items it worked on, some it didn't. If the app hadn't worked at the checkout I still would have bought the sets - but it's not my responsibility to point out that their software is buggy.
    gmonkey76

I don't see how using the cartwheel deal is taking advantage of Target. Yes, the deal says "excludes Lego". But if it excluded ALL lego, the deal would not work. When searching for Lego on the phone app, a Cartwheel deal was indicated, and following the link provided on the specific Lego item (both new AND clearance), it takes you to the deal which "excludes Lego". There are multiple points where Target is not only allowing the use of the deal, but also promoting the use of the deal. I think if Target really wanted this to not be used, they would have not made the deal work, or at the very least not have advertised the deal on the products themselves.

No one had to do anything "shady" to use the deal...add the deal to cartwheel basket and check out at the register.

pharmjod
    Let me get this straight, it's ok to take advantage of this glitch on new items, even though the terms state otherwise?  Not judging (ok, I am a little), but trying to understand where the line is between ok and not ok.

I'm not going to lose sleep over a cartwheel glitch.  Our family spends enough at Target and I'm not buying to resell. 
    hleonffugmonkey76hkcrazy88
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 365
    I look at it the same way I would if they mis-priced something on the shelf.  The company controlled the offer.  It's their technology.   If they mess it up so that it does something that it shouldn't it's on them.

Target is responsible for how they run their business.  When I scan an item and it shows a Cartwheel offer applies, I use it.  
    gmonkey7677ncaachampshkcrazy88dougts
    The thing is Target is still making the sale.  And in a slow retail climate (yes the economy is still stagnant) just getting people in the store has value.  For example I spent $62 on another set, my son bought a small set and my wife bought a few things.  So The Lone Tensor strikes out again.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I didn't realize I was at bat, nor that there was a score being kept.
    matticus_bricks
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 540
    I don't think that Target has as much wiggle room for mistakes like this as people think. They are still recovering from the data breach from a while back. They had to offer identity protection to everyone affected by that. 

So will this mistake take the whole company down? Probably not.

I was a manager at a big box store for a long time. When big box stores (or any store, really) take an unplanned loss like this, there are ripples. I predict higher prices and fewer markdowns on LEGO products in the future, depending on how much money Target lost.
    aimlesspursuits
  • OUWxGuesserOUWxGuesser Member Posts: 92
    How many people knowingly took advantage of the offer?  A few hundred? A thousand? Only those of us that actually looked at this forum?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^That situation has already happened long ago, due to TLG's own efforts in eliminating all sources of discounts except for those terrible themes they can't shift like Chima. In 2011 and 2012, there were many good and frequent sales on lines for SW and Superheroes, not to mention the sought after Exclusives.

In other words, there's nothing more to lose or additional punishment to dole out. What ripple is there to fear?

Keep in mind, when one  added this cartwheel app to their barcode  that it says it is not for Lego. When the actual fine print was pulled up (one can pull up fine print for every deal to understand what is actually excluded or to what the deal applies to) , it said absolutely nothing about any exclusions on Lego. The question to me becomes which is correct and what is not. When the actual fine print clearly says nothing about exclusions, AND when one scans the clearance with the app and it says this code actually applies to the clearance set scanned, numerically the odds are better that there was not an exclusion to begin with. Basically, 2 ways it shows no exclusion vs. 1 way it shows an exclusion.
    Honestly, I would not have even noticed any exclusion, Except I was having huge issues with cartwheel that day, and was reading everything. I am sure many never saw the exclusion. The other thing, realistically speaking, our store still had discounted Lego on the shelf 40 minutes before expiration. These are sets that because it is clearance are going to get down to the 50% range anyway. Target is not losing money. They are just Lego clearance stock a bit earlier. 

As for non-clearanceitems...If this was truly a glitch that Target did not want, they had multiple days to correct the issue. They did not. It was still working 40 minutes before close.  I truly do not believe Target was clueless about this. This to means that either a) This was an Easter Egg sale to begin with or b) they concluded that it was actually bringing in sales for them (during a time of years toys are not big sellers) and it was better to keep  the sale. C) The amount in sales was negligible.
    Basically, I believe Target was well aware and kept it, but it gives them firm deniability as well. It was on several of the deal sites I saw, and the comments mentioned what it worked on. 

-A 20% discount is truly not a large discount, and is in range of what sales often are at.

I think everyone has their own way of interpreting, though, and that is fine. 
    Goldchains
    eggshen said:
    I don't think that Target has as much wiggle room for mistakes like this as people think. They are still recovering from the data breach from a while back. They had to offer identity protection to everyone affected by that. 

So will this mistake take the whole company down? Probably not.

I was a manager at a big box store for a long time. When big box stores (or any store, really) take an unplanned loss like this, there are ripples. I predict higher prices and fewer markdowns on LEGO products in the future, depending on how much money Target lost.
    I highly doubt Target lost much by mistakingly offering 20% off non-clearance Lego sets.  If you want to nitpick then yes, my price-matching Amazon and then using the Cartwheel was borderline abusing the system.  But they allowed it.  And aside from the Brickpicker crowd (who actually have morals about this kind of thing) not enough people are doing this to create a ripple.  And again, retail sales are slow this time of year so my spending a couple hundred dollars at Target (like I said, the whole family bought something) was actually beneficial to their business even if it meant some heavy discounting on a few items to get me in the store.  

I didn't realize I was at bat, nor that there was a score being kept.
    When you made your post the game was on.  You should know that by now.
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 540
    I'm just hoping that Target didn't get taken to the cleaners on this. Stakeholders don't tolerate profit loss and ultimately shoppers and employees pay for losses. 

These types of mistakes are what led to the downfall of other large companies. Lack of competition results in higher prices for everyone.
    This was barely a blip on their radar I have no doubt.
    ^ Agreed. I have started school shopping for th kids, so I was at several Targets during the sale. I did drop in on the toy aisles to look. As mentioned, there were still Lego sets on clearance at the end of the promo, and the main aisles did not look different at all. I never saw crowds on the aisles either like one sees on the 70% days. Remember this was 'only' 20%. Many people are not biting on that low of a discount at this time of year.
    I only bought 1 set for myself, as I'm not a reseller, and it was a higher priced set, which tends to sit on shelves until it gets clearanced out anyway.  If that helps...  ;)
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I'm not shedding any tears over Target...remember this is the same company that has clearance prices  still marked higher then their on line everyday prices on some items.  They  show one Marvel set, #76021, as regular price of $99, then marked down to $69!  When was this set ever $99?  On line it is $62.99!!!