Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

i-Brix - Wireless Lighting System for Lego® Building Bricks

BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 475
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426110532/i-brix-wireless-lighting-system-for-lego-building

Just saw this... amazing what they can do with magic these days!

Comments

• DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    Yes, that is pretty sweet, it was on the Brickset homepage about a week ago http://brickset.com/article/15585/i-brix-wireless-lighting-system, too bad their goal is crazy high...
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 475
    D'oh... should've seen that, but been rather busy. I searched the forum first and didn't see anything! True, they might've put their goal too high. I wonder if LEGO themselves would take the idea, but that's a trickier ask.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    I'm so excited about this project and I really-really hope they will make it - either through kickstarter or some other means. No wires? remote lighting? This is huge! :D
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    Cool.

• InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 108
    The Kickstarter is back! I'm in for a bunch, and hope they meet their goal this time. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426110532/i-brix-wirelessly-powered-lighting-system-for-lego?ref=discovery
  • dolphins79dolphins79 Member Posts: 29
    Very interesting product , biggest draw back with lighting up lego sets is the wire placement, would be great to use these! 
    Infinityman
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,261
    I've also pledged - I really hope the target is reached this time as I love the idea.

Shipping was initially only open to the U.S., but now Canada, the EU and Australia are also included.

Let's make this happen!
    Infinityman
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 348
    Interesting that they seem to have got almost half way to their target in 3 days. Let's hope people keep backing in at the same rate!
    Infinityman
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    Pledged as well. Fingers crossed they meet their goal and the final product lives up to expectations.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,261
    Now frontpaged, so hopefully that should provide the campaign with a nice push....

https://brickset.com/article/28953/i-brix-wireless-lighting-back-on-kickstarter
    stluxInfinityman
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,815
    I wonder how many times it is coiled inside the brick section and why the basepad needs to be so big. I've done wireless induction to an LED using an oscillator circuit, but the coil the LED was attached to was about 3 cm in diameter, and the range from the other coil was only about 1.5 cm. To get 15cm+ distance is quite amazing.

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    I guess the plate is sized to match a 32x32 baseplate.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,815
    At 10" I guess so. I'd love to take one apart to have a look inside. They must be loosely coupled to get the distance from the pad, and it would be interesting to see if they use large or small coils inside the base pad.

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    I sent a message about the bases and he said they are 1 brick thick and as of right now would not have the ability to attach bricks from underneath, but they are looking at it.  
    Jenni
  • InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 108
    I'm gonna plug this one again... it looks like they'll make the funding goal, but it can't hurt to have extra backers and meet some stretch goals! I, for one, look forward to lighting my haunted house, jack-o-lanterns, basement laboratory, etc.
    Jackad7
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    CCC said:
    I wonder how many times it is coiled inside the brick section and why the basepad needs to be so big. I've done wireless induction to an LED using an oscillator circuit, but the coil the LED was attached to was about 3 cm in diameter, and the range from the other coil was only about 1.5 cm. To get 15cm+ distance is quite amazing.

I would call it "amazing" to the point that I have to see it to believe it. ;-)
    sid3windr
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    As of today: $47,126 pledged of $45,250 goal

Now fingers crossed the product gets delivered and lives up to expectations.
    bandit778drdavewatfordPaperballparkJackad7
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 487
    I didn't see a transmission distance, does anyone know about how far these work (OR could you light up the third floor of a building with the base underneath the building)?
    JangBricks demo'ed this with a prototype. Could light up one level. Supposed to be able to light up two with final product.

He did not show the internals, but he did mention it was big and it would be shrunk down in the in final product.

I don't see how. Given the range, it has to be big and use a ton of power.
    Jackad7
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    If only wireless power were more efficient and not suspected to cause cancer...
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAJackad7
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    ^I WAS going to make a 'joke' post about the fact I'm not a stupid man but am pretty sure this kind of sorcery can only lead to brain cancer...
    PLEASE tell me YOU'RE making a joke post - I've been too afraid to google this question.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    ^I WAS going to make a 'joke' post about the fact I'm not a stupid man but am pretty sure this kind of sorcery can only lead to brain cancer...
    PLEASE tell me YOU'RE making a joke post - I've been too afraid to google this question.
    Uhh... Nope. Sorry.
    (I've actually spoken to some engineers on the subject, so I'm not making this up.)
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    Look up health effects of EMF Radiation. Wireless Power Transfer, as I've read, create a much stronger EMF field compared to our standard wireless devices.  
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    edited July 2017
    As I said, though some may debate it, not a stupid man.  I figured EMF fields would be involved and yeah, that shit can be pretty scary when amplified in a lot of industrial uses.  My primary concern with items like this is I wouldn't expect that your average kickstarter project to be doing too much investigation (ie - NIL) into the long term health effects of their products.
    edited July 2017
    I won't worry about the health effects for one simple reason -- it's not going to have the range. Even if it works as described, you are safe as long as you don't go within 20cm of the power plate.
    Jackad7
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 487
    With the amount of other crap that I regularly unknowingly do that can increase my risk of cancer, a 10"x10" plate that emits a couple of inches away doesn't concern me a whole lot. Just dont use them as a nightlight on desk/table nearest to your bed. I wouldn't ever buy these for kids simply because I dont feel that using them as 'toys' is a great practice as it feels like more of a display tool. That being said if I get cancer for making my Utapau moc look beautiful it would be better than getting it from something that didn't provide me any enjoyment like bad genes. 
    sklamb
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    According to the labels I read, California thinks everything gives you cancer, what's one more thing?
    Jackad7gmonkey76MattDawsonM_Boss
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    ^ I thought that those labels meant that everything gave you cancer in California.
    Jackad7M_BossHanzo
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    Jang did a video of these...very, very cool!

drdavewatfordstluxbandit778InfinitymandavetheoxygenmanHanzo