Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collectible Minifigures - Historical chronology

2»

Comments

• TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,418
    I think that the look of some of the historical CMF's such as Cleopatra and Robin Hood (if we accept his historicity) are based on, or strongly influenced by how they were portrayed in films. The Robin Hood figure reminds me of Errol Flynn from 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' (1938). Cleopatra reminds me of Elizabeth Taylor, who played her in a film released in 1963. Though the Cleopatra minifig is a fairly true representation of what Cleopatra looked like (when she wore a wig). Yet there is no way of knowing that Robin Hood had this little Errol Flynn type moustache, and wore such a hat as Errol Flynn did and this minifig has.

I think the Egyptian queen is Cleopatra because TLG gave her a snake.

The Roman minifig I believe is supposed to be Julius Caesar because the phrase 'Veni, Vidi, Vici' is attributed to him. However Julius Ceasar was never Emperor, only 'dictator'. His adopted son Gaius Octavius was the first Roman emperor; Augustus. So the title 'Roman Emperor' is not quite right if he is Julius Caesar.

I believe the Roman soldier and the Roman centurion are also from the first century BC, but there is not way of actually knowing for sure. They could also be from the first or second century AD. Roman soldiers throughout the duration of from the rise to the demise of the Roman empire wore different sort of helmets that evolved over the centuries. Legionnaires from different Roman armies/legions from the same era also wore different helmets as styles sometimes varied too.

Anyone know anything about the particulars of the Egyptian Warrior from series 13?

I really hope TLG will continue making many more different historic CMF's, as well as fairy tail and mythological figs.

ps.
    I want a Dutch female CMF dressed in archaic folkloric garments; with yellow clogs (like those ice/roller skates), a cloth piece for a dress (like the pretzel girl), one of those ridiculous funny white smurf like hats with long blond hair sticking out underneath, holding some flowers.

A Louis XIV of France, and an Queen Elizabeth I of England are also must do's for TLG IMO. A Chinese Ming Dynasty figure would be nice to have too. And definitely some more Medieval and early Renaissance minifigs dressed in fashion of those times in Europe.
    dannyrwwicey117catwrangler
    :o    I wrote: "fairy tail" Ha! 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,048
    Wait!  There was life before Wikipedia?

I do vaguely remember something called an 'encyclopedia'...
    dannyrww
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Ah memories.  I loved it when my mom used to read me the classic story of Grandma Visitor
    dannyrwwPitfall69oldtodd33bobabrickscatwrangler
    You could also do a pop star / music video clip appearance CMF line up:
    bumble bee girl    - Blind Melon - No Rain
    sad clown             - David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
    etc.
    dannyrwwcatwrangler
    Ah memories.  I loved it when my mom used to read me the classic story of Grandma Visitor
    Is Little Red Riding Hood IP owned by someone?  If so, I'm shocked!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,864
    I doubt it, it was around long before the Brothers Grimm and it has been retold by many authors.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,330
    It's probably more to do with LEGO wanting to cover themselves against as many claims as possible, e.g a few years ago there was an awful film based on Little Red Riding Hood, I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on in a claim situation but it's just easier for LEGO to not use the name and avoid any chance of someone bothering them.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,388
    I think its more to the point that they prefer to make an iconic representation than a specific character which seems to b the case with the history figures as we have discussed. The only time they named characters was with the movie series.
    catwrangler
    Medusa is an exception. Instead of snake haired evil goddess.

Also as I noted last year, they changed the names of some for a while (so Cleopatra was explicitly named, for example) http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/16797/new-names-for-old-cmfs/p1

catwrangler
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,330
    ^ Medusa is one of those that a lot of people probably think of as the name of the species of creature (with most not know Gorgon) so I'd imagine it's still public perception general name. The changing of names was a weird move though.
    catwrangler
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,150
    Figures based on the Brothers Grimmelshausen (Grimm) or ancient Mythology, items that are hundreds of years old are in the public domain.   It's when something is from a modern story (Harry Potter, Dune, et al) that copyrights kick in.
    edited July 2015
    Everything I learned originally about Medusa I learned from D&D.  In D&D, medusa (medusae?) wasn't a proper name, but rather a type of gorgon.  I.e. there were many such snake-haired stone-gaze women.  It wasn't until Clash of the Titans (the original one) and Greek mythology books where I learned the "truth" about the "real-life" Medusa.

Here's a piece of useless trivia, the mate of a medusa is called a maedar.  I hope this information helps to complete you.
    SumoLegoMaffyDcatwrangler
    Yes, and she is Pegasus's mum. You know the flying horse.
    Funny people those Greeks.
    I have no idea who Maedar is? Must be from that game D&D, or something, which I am not familiar with.
    I thought she had sex with Poseidon. Which would be the CMF Ocean King from series seven.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
    I think it was more that Poseidon had sex with her (when she was a beauty) and the snakes were a punishment for this. Then when her head was cut off, out came pegasus and his brother. 
    Yes, well it was not consensual, she still had 'sexual relations' with the guy. Also Athena was really unsympathetic, what a jealous bitch, after all she was responsible for deforming her, turning her into the infamous lethal monstrosity everyone now knows her as. Real nice bunch all those deities, so divined, very entertaining.
    Greek myths (and drama) are completely out of control.
    Wait, are you saying Greek mythology is not real?!?!

SumoLego
    Yes, well it was not consensual, she still had 'sexual relations' with the guy. Also Athena was really unsympathetic, what a jealous bitch, after all she was responsible for deforming her, turning her into the infamous lethal monstrosity everyone now knows her as. Real nice bunch all those deities, so divined, very entertaining.
    This is so not a story I want my children recreating in Lego :dizzy: 

TheBigLegoskicatwrangler
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    edited July 2015
    Should the animalcostumes be ordered after their appearance according to the evolusion theory?
    ^ no, they can be ordered according to taste.
    Tastes like Chicken Guy.
    Everything tastes like Chicken Guy...
    catwrangler
    So who is first pig guy or chicken guy? Are we talking bacon or pork....and where does hotdog guy fit into this (I'm guessing he is all the parts of pig guy that we do not want to eat).
    TheLoneTensor
    and with these last few statements we have derailed this conversation...so um history guys.....
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    Lego is more fun when being derailed!
    catwrangler
    icey117 said:
    Lego is more fun when being derailed!
    So true
    icey117
    I want a Sushi Guy.  All of this talk of chicken is making me hungry.
    dannyrww
    SumoLego said:
    Would this be a guy selling sushi or a guy dressed like sushi (which would be cool)?
    ^ Yes!
    SumoLego said:

The Atlantis theme contained lots of fresh sushi.
    dannyrwwicey117TheBigLegoskiSumoLegocatwrangler
    It's not sushi until a chef slices the fish.  Especially if it has teeth and a spear...
    Mmmmmh! Fugu Sashimi with a twist of tetrodotoxin, such an epicure.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    Wow, this is my favourite thread in ages, both for its substance and its derailments! 

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a minifigure in a sushi costume eventually - you see all sorts of products decorated with it, and there are lots of cute Japanese collectables where the characters either are, or dress as, sushi, so the idea is out there for Lego designers to pick up on...
  • sandunesandune Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 3
    Here's an updated list up to series 19! I know that this thread is old and dead, and theres only been one addition to the list since i posted 2 years ago (Jungle Explorer). However, I've moved some characters around to what i think is a more suitable time frame. If you want a visual list then you can click the link here: https://brickset.com/sets/list-24101  Enjoy!

10th millennium BC
    - Caveman
    - Cave Women
    10th century BC
    - Egyptian Warrior
    - Pharaoh
    - Egyptian Queen
    5th century BC
    - Spartan Warrior
    1st century
    - Gladiator
    - Roman Gladiator