Opinion? Carbon Fiber Tiles by Get Tile Kits

mlarue3mlarue3 Member Posts: 25
I recently received 22 carbon fiber 1x2 tiles from Get Tile Kits.  It was a Kickstarter project that was backed quickly (If I remember correctly).  Does anyone on here have them as well? What do you think of them?

Comments

• mlarue3mlarue3 Member Posts: 25
    edited June 2015
    Here is the link:
    Kickstarter
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,788
    I didn't.

TBH I don't really see the point of them as I think you can normally get enough detail with genuine lego parts and where you can't, I'd go for something completely different that lego don't make. To me, these are just fairly standard decorated tiles that could be done more effectively for each situation as and when needed with a printed sticker.
    I half way agree.  There really isn't any point to them.  I think it's just the Cool Factor or Bling Factor.  Mentioning it to a couple friends of mine, they thought it was cool just to have something that unique.  Whatever you want to call it.  IMO they look better than a sticker or decal would.  I like to build micro vehicles when I'm bored and had a carbon fiber truck. All in all, it's just a "Cool" thing.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Is it real carbon fiber and all the way through the layers?

I think these might come in handy for some of the Racers (Lambos/Ferraris) and the upcoming Ferrari F40. CF in these cars make the logical sense and would look great in the flesh I bet.
    Is it real carbon fiber and all the way through the layers?

I think these might come in handy for some of the Racers (Lambos/Ferraris) and the upcoming Ferrari F40. CF in these cars make the logical sense and would look great in the flesh I bet.
    Yes they are completely carbon fiber.  They would look great on the racers.  I halfway built the body of a black hot rod truck and stuck a couple pieces in there and it looked fantastic.  They have a look that you cant get from a decal or sticker.  I'll upload a pic of them when I get home tonight.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,076
    It's an "ok"idea,but i had no idea that such mediocre ideas get that much (monetary)support?!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291
    any support for a lego potato salad?
    beemo
    Diggydoes said:
    It's an "ok"idea,but i had no idea that such mediocre ideas get that much (monetary)support?!
    I guess there's a market for it, albeit a small one.  Like I said, my thinking was, "That might be cool."
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2015
    ...although the carbon fibre 'pattern' isn't to scale surely? so it will look wacky.
    @BrickDancer Looks like I'll be putting the carbon pieces on the F40 where the black stripe is...
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 280
    They look interesting, but they lost me when I read "...mad, wicked"
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    I think it would be cool if you had all the parts you needed to make a complete construction out of carbon. With just 1x2 tiles I'm not that interested. It's still a cool idea, but not something on my wish list.

mlarue3