Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Storage Drawer Organizer

prophet05prophet05 United Kingdom, NottinghamMember Posts: 7
edited June 2015 in Everything else LEGO
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a good Lego storage drawer/organizer. I know there have been many discussions on here about this and I have read them, but many times the links are dead or not specific to the UK.

So currently I am storing and sorting my Lego using organizer toolboxes from Stanley:

But I am slowly getting annoyed by stacking and restacking them always searching for the right compartment. That is why I want a drawer system. I have some shelfes above my desk and that would be the perfect place to put some drawers that are reachable and easily accessible. I have looked around a bit and I want them to meet the following conditions:

• Drawers should be removeable so I can take often used ones out and put them next to me
  • The drawers should be separated so they can't slide sideways.
  • I'd like clear plastik drawers (or at least opaque) so I can see the parts inside them
  • I would prefer many small/medium sized compartments over few big ones
  • I want them to be high quality so I can eventually move them without things falling all over the place or them breaking after a few months
  • They should be fairly closed (especially the back) to keep the contents from collecting dust
  • They should _not_ be extremly heavy (metal casing or similar)

I am mainly interested in Lego Technic (or Creator) so the variety of parts is fairly limited. I live in the UK and do not have car therefore it would be good if I can have them delivered. I have been looking on amazon and found some systems from Draper or other companies that look decent:

I have also looked into several articles on this topic but most of them seem to refer to products that are not available in the UK:

So does anybody have any advice or experience on which drawer system to use? Currently my favorite is the Draper one mentioned earlier, but it did get some bad reviews on amazon.

I hope you guys can give me some advice.

EDIT: Sorry about the bad formatting, fixed that.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,333
    edited June 2015
    You are seeking the holy grail of storage which for many remains elusive. My own storage drawers about which I write in issue 2 of Bricks magazine are close to it but are no longer available and I don't have enough. I'd upload an image here but the option seems to have disappeared!

Racco make some good ones, but they are metal and very expensive, being designed for industrial use.

I noticed recently that Really Useful make a new storage tower system, for scrapbooking, http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub_storage.php.

It's larger than the usual ones you see (roughly A4 sized drawers) but crucially they also make a full depth 'hobby tray' that fits inside them, something they don't make for their normal sized ones. This divides the drawers into 15 quite large sections, which would suit basic bricks and plates and so I was thinking of buying some to expand my 'tier one' storage although their postage costs are expensive so I haven't taken the plunge yet.
  • prophet05prophet05 United Kingdom, NottinghamMember Posts: 7
    Thanks for your reply Huw! I am sad to hear that there appearently really isn't anything like this out there.

Maybe somebody else found something?
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 655
    If anyone is thinking of buying really useful boxes there is a woman who sells them at a lot of the toy fairs particularly in the north but I'm sure she does London and Birmingham - they are all cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else, so worth a look.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 870
    I have been using the taller 30-drawer draper cabinets, I have six or seven of them. They've worked out fine for me over the last 3y or so, although I'm now running out of space in them.

pros:
    Containers are a good size for small and medium parts
    You can use cardboard inserts as cheap way to further subdivide drawers 
    easy to take out / reshuffle as required, useful when building or sorting
    different sizes helps for different part quantities

They do stack but not in line - I have at 50% offset

cons:
    no back and "fiddly" metal surround means parts can fall down / get lost or stuck.  Drawers can also stick if parts get lodged.  This isn't really an issue unless you overfill.
    not great for larger parts (I tend to go up to 1x2 bricks / 2xX plates); the rest has to go elsewhere
    would be better if they stacked 1 on 1

I don't tend to move mine but suspect this would be an issue if I had to - not convinced parts would stay in.

Hope that helps
    prophet05
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited June 2015
    Huw said:

I noticed recently that Really Useful make a new storage tower system, for scrapbooking, http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub_storage.php.

Hobby Craft stores often have them on offer; I bought two of the multi-coloured version for storing set instructions.
    http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/really-useful-11-drawer-rainbow-storage-tower/572895-1000
    Not on offer through the website; I think they were £20 or £25 each when we bought them. 
    edited June 2015
    prophet05 said:
    Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a good Lego storage drawer/organizer. I know there have been many discussions on here about this and I have read them, but many times the links are dead or not specific to the UK.

As I think you've already found out, he Akro-Mils ( https://www.akro-mils.com/Products/Types/Portable-Small-Parts-Storage/Plastic-Cabinets ) cabinets seem to be the "go-to" solution if you live in North America; unfortunately they are hard to find in the UK, and when you do they are massively over-priced.

I've got a couple of the Draper ones you linked to above; they are available in quite a few places, and they are the closest I've found to the Akro-Mils ones, but I haven't found a cheaper source of them. I use them for storing very small parts.

Most of my Lego is stored in catering industry 'microwave containers', that I buy in bulk from catering suppliers -
    http://www.ryepac.co.uk/mvcr0366---microwave-container-with-lid-500cc-x-250-845-p.asp
    You can get them in different sizes (I use a mix of 250cc/500cc/750cc/1000cc pots). They stack & work out at about 10p-15p per container. It isn't a particularly space efficient way to store the bricks unless you have a *lot* of bricks & the containers are mostly full.

The 'microwave containers' are also great for pre-sorting parts when you're building a large set :-)
    prophet05
    edited June 2015
    This 64 draw Akro-Mils unit is ~$40 in the US; that works out at ~£30 (with UK sales tax added).
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Akro-Mils-64-Drawer-Small-Parts-Storage-Cabinet-10164/203538935
    The reseller on Amazon.co.uk I was just looking at was selling it, with P&P, for ~£81(inc.tax). Ouch.

BTW, the UK Draper draw units aren't designed to stack. They angle backwards, so don't have a level top. It isn't obvious from the pic -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-12015-30-Part-Organiser-Cabinet/dp/B0038XQZZK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1P5R3JY2CKF3AV5HXCNT
    prophet05
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,374
    Clas Olsen do the same drawers as those draper ones, for about £10.
    prophet05
    Personally I have 6 of those, 1 of another drawer system which I got from Maplin for £22, and then a load of RUBs/pound shop alternatives for the larger stuff.
    Thank you for your helpful comments everyone!
    luckyruss said:
    cons: no back and "fiddly" metal surround means parts can fall down / get lost or stuck.
    bluemoose and luckyruss: The casings of the Draper capinets do look as if they fit the drawers tightly. Is it actually possible for parts to slip out of the drawers through the side or the back while they are inside the casing? I hope its not possible to push drawers through the back of the casing.
    bluemoose said:
    Most of my Lego is stored in catering industry 'microwave containers', that I buy in bulk from catering suppliers -
    http://www.ryepac.co.uk/mvcr0366---microwave-container-with-lid-500cc-x-250-845-p.asp
    You can get them in different sizes (I use a mix of 250cc/500cc/750cc/1000cc pots). They stack & work out at about 10p-15p per container. It isn't a particularly space efficient way to store the bricks unless you have a *lot* of bricks & the containers are mostly full.
    I know about the cheap containers for stacking but I really want something that is easily accessible and does not require me to shuffle around boxed just for that one part. I will keep it in mind in case (when) my collection becomes to big.
    bluemoose said:
    This 64 draw Akro-Mils unit is ~$40 in the US; that works out at ~£30 (with UK sales tax added).
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Akro-Mils-64-Drawer-Small-Parts-Storage-Cabinet-10164/203538935
    The reseller on Amazon.co.uk I was just looking at was selling it, with P&P, for ~£81(inc.tax). Ouch.
    During my search on amazon I noticed the same thing. It is insane what the resellers are doing there.
    bluemoose said:
    BTW, the UK Draper draw units aren't designed to stack. They angle backwards, so don't have a level top. It isn't obvious from the pic
    I am really sad to hear that. That one was becoming my favourite, but stacking is a thing I would actually like to do with them...
    Paperballpark said:
    Clas Olsen do the same drawers as those draper ones, for about £10. Personally I have 6 of those, 1 of another drawer system which I got from Maplin for £22, and then a load of RUBs/pound shop alternatives for the larger stuff.
    Thank you, for pointing that out! They really do look quite similar to the Draper ones. Do you know if they are tilted as well? Can you stack them properly? What about the slipping of parts from the drawers? In case anyone wants a direct link:
    http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Organiser-Cabinet/40-6980
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 748

I'm happy to recommend the orange-fronted drawer systems sold by Bug Dug in the UK:

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/storage-boxes-containers-c363/small-parts-storage-c366

As an indication of size, each drawer in the 60-drawer unit can hold about 1,200 1x1 tiles. Each drawer comes with a divider.

prophet05andheThanos75
    Aleydita said:

I'm happy to recommend the orange-fronted drawer systems sold by Bug Dug in the UK:

As an indication of size, each drawer in the 60-drawer unit can hold about 1,200 1x1 tiles. Each drawer comes with a divider.

Thank you for pointing that one out. Are they stackable without problems? They seem to charge quite well for their delivery.
  • kendalbrickskendalbricks Member Posts: 49
    The Raaco units Huw mentions are really good, I've fifteen of them in my study and they hold a decent amount of parts. They can be fairly expensive, but I've found ordering from an electronic component store, Farnell UK, can bring some decent prices.

I use the 44-drawer units: http://uk.farnell.com/raaco/126762/cabinet-organiser-44compartment/dp/1367091?ost=raaco+44&categoryId=700000006550
    andhe
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 748
    prophet05 said:
    Aleydita said:

Thank you for pointing that one out. Are they stackable without problems? They seem to charge quite well for their delivery.

They don't interlock but they're deep enough to happily sit on top of each other, at least 2 units high. They can be screwed to the wall if you like. Delivery is quite high, hadn't really noticed before. Check to see if Big Dug are selling them on Amazon, delivery rates there can be cheaper.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,199
    For a cheap way of making inserts into a larger drawer, I bought a load of business card boxes, like this (although they were £3 for 25 when I bought them).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-x-BUSINESS-CARD-BOXES-CLEAR-PLASTIC-CRAFT-PARTS-BEADS-BOX-HOLDER-CONTAINER-/301307762623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item46275797bf

As each comes with a top and bottom, that gives you 50 plastic inserts that are removable. So long as you are not prone to spilling when taking them out or putting them back, they are great.
    @prophet05 I'm afraid they do tilt when stacked, yes. I have them stacked two high on my desk, which works fine, and any higher than that probably wouldn't be practical anyway.
    prophet05
  • deedeedeedee south east England, Margate.Member Posts: 33
    for large amounts try ikea boxes have loads 
    I like 800.892.39 they 1.50 5lt storage and if needed a lid 50 and a quid
    ans stack well too
  • Steebles1908Steebles1908 Member Posts: 1
    I got one of these last year, and it's great. Very heavy duty, can roll across the room if needed. You can also easily remove whole bins to bring them to your table.

http://www.harborfreight.com/74-Bin-Mobile-Double-Sided-Floor-Rack-62269.html
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I've always favoured the metal drawer stacking box thingies but brick storage is so much easier if you use the plastic trays from advent calenders. There's an old picture inserted but the bricks fit in nice and neat. Plus I've gone ahead and bought a shoe rack so I can have two layers of trays & 2x the amount of bricks in arms reach.
    prophet05
    @Paperballpark Thanks for the info! I bought myself two of them anyway. The only real downside to the is the open back and that the drawers a quite cheap and sometimes jam.

@rdflego Thanks for the images! I will keep those in mind for the future.
    rdflego
  • smartiepantssmartiepants Member Posts: 15
    I have a load of these, they nicely stack and have removable compartments that make it easier to sort, dead cheap as well & if you order enough you get free postage 
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/Organiser-Set-3-Piece/p/118997
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 838
    ^ smartiepants.

I use a load of these same organisers, but I got mine from Screwfix. Wickes prices are much better! I didn't realise they sold them as well. I like the removable bins, much easier to tip the parts out you need than try and grab them.

Thanks for the tip, my next supply will be coming from Wickes!
  • MilseyMilsey UKMember Posts: 48
    Lidl have these starting tomorrow. I got some from Aldi earlier in the year (same design but different colours) and they have been great. I'll probably pick up a couple of the small drawer version. @prophet05 I think these tick all of your requirements http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=25264#
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,008
    After Huw's (relatively) recent article on storage drawers I wound up looking forlornly at my unsorted parts bin again and scratching around for a good solution. I like the quality of Really Useful Boxes so focused on those and found these for what looked a good price on B&Q.

The inserts alone on RUB's own website is £5 each so to get two of them and the box for £10 feels pretty good value. As for the size, the description of storage for baubles is a good gauge - I wasn't 100% sure though, but ordered two and having had them a couple of weeks now I can safely say it's a nice size. I wouldn't recommend them for smaller parts but certainly and bricks and larger plates its's pretty good for.

The only major downside to them is it is trays stacked inside of boxes, rather than easy to open drawers, but as things are, that is probably better for my current situation as I have limited space and regularly need to move stuff around. I'm still figuring out the details of how I'm organising various parts, but these have definitely made it easier. 

Having just been paid I thought I'd see if I can get some more and glad to see they are still only £10 each so put another order in.
    I've been looking at the 35l one for taking stuff to Bricktastic. Can you fit a 48x48 baseplate, flat, in it? The measurements suggest it might just fit.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,008
    I would imagine so, but haven't checked, will let you know when I get home later...I noticed that B&Q have the 35L without the inserts for £12 which seems daft to me, pay £2 less and get a couple of extra sorting trays ;-)
    Yes, I noticed that :-)

However having checked the RUB site, the internal dimensions are 370 x 310 x 280 and baseplates are about 380 wide :(
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,404
    Aldi has storage drawers on sale this week in the US for $8, so I picked up 10 of the 33-drawer version. Overall dimensions of the cabinet are 12" x 5.3" x 16.3". The drawers don't have much of a tab on the back to keep them from falling out, bit the dividers are nicer than what comes with comparable Akro-Mils drawers.