Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jurassic World sets - a bit of a miss

2»

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,297
    For instance, since we have a City-Space theme, and three SW themes (with the big push on the Rebels theme)  I wouldn't expect a space theme for awhile.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    Oh, I see what you're saying. Star Wars usually exists at the same time as other Space themes while JW, for example, does not exist at the same time as Dino. Then again, Castle existed at the same time as LoTR. But Maybe TLG doesn't read into these things as deeply as we do. 
    LordofLego
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,552

I think DC and Marvel deal quite a bit with far away worlds, and may be considered space-related.

• RobertoRoberto Imola, ItalyMember Posts: 117
    edited July 2015
    Matticus_Bricks said:
    You could also mention Western compared to Lone Ranger. How would you guys rank Space against Star Wars, for instance? I think these themes are further apart than Jurassic World and the previous Dinos. 

Yes, right observation, but take in mind that while the other comparisons have in common real historical backgrounds, in-space sets need futuristic, sci-fiction backgrounds, and unless you're thinking of a more common background like present space shuttle and space port, for THOSE types of sci-fi themes the only designer's limit is fantasy. Maybe they can have a few stereotyped features in common, but not so much to make a real comparison, really two worlds apart.

We're really parsing details here, but I do think the fantasy-related castle sets were retired in anticipation of the LotR sets.

The more recent castle theme was a 'simple' castle set, much like the recently released pirates line.  I'd expect something a few years from now with a similar, simpler space theme.

Reminds me of the of the Fire Ninja line from many years ago.  The combination of ninjas and castle themes made for great sets.  We'll likely not see a cross-over theme like that due to the Ninjago theme.

And completely unrelated, the Angry Birds line is probably going to take the place of the retiring Chima line - geared toward kids and their confused parents...
    dannyrwwmatticus_bricksFurrysaurus
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    I don't think it really matters if Jurassic World does not appeal to AFOLs. They were (quite obviously) directed at children alone and sometimes Lego maybe doesn't want to make everything revolve around the adults, lest they lose sight of their bottom line. 

Or or maybe they just hired a new designer and mistakenly put him in charge of Jurassic World, I dunno.

My point is, you can't seriously expect them to recreate every single scene and vehicle exactly, right down to the minute detail. They have to make them cheap enough and easy for kids to build. If they had the vet van thing with everything it needed and perfectly replicated with none of the problems anyone has ever discovered with it and six trees, two birds, and a spare tire, you'd all be saying it was way too expensive and what were they thinking? Quit whining that they don't make every single line with adults in mind. 
    I also think we might be seeing this some more in the future. They produce more adult-oriented sets every year (Creator Expert, UCS, etc.) and they may think that if they have more sets for adults, they can make the sets for kids more kid-ly. I can see how they may be a bit of a disappointment, but I think we should just get over it. They're not gonna recall them and rework all the sets to an adult standard, so there's no real reason to lose sleep over it.
    mr.pigglesSumoLegoOmastarAmanda1983
    SumoLego said:
    And completely unrelated, the Angry Birds line is probably going to take the place of the retiring Chima line - geared toward kids and their confused parents...
    Chima is retiring? Huh. I never liked those, and now their dumb ice thing was the last straw. Ninjago has been going downhill for me, too, ever since those stupid snakes, which they thoughtfully brought back for the most recent series. *sighs dramatically* Oh, well. 

And then there's Angry Birds... We'll need a whole new discussion board for that one.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    Well, having begun this thread ragging on the Jurassic world sets I am now the 'proud' owner of every single one...

I think I said half way through this thread that the movie accuracy was lacking and everyone has said the prices are too high, both of with are true, but that is a different criticism that calling them rubbish sets.

as a movie fan and Lego fan I wanted more detail, accuracy and movie tie in, monorails, other dinosaurs etc. so from that perspective they do miss the mark. However, from my sons point of view they are great, even that odd T-Rex truck thing has good kid focused playability. The base like sets and gryrospheres are real winners and I have seen T-Rex's and Indominus's eating everything from Amber to Suitcases and a Friends airplane, so I guess that is the acid test, kids love these sets, mine certainly do and they are selling by the dino sized bucket load.

i stand by my criticism of the line but if you ignore the IP and price then these sets presnet as good kid focused sets, the vehicles are well designed and play well and the big base set has a fair bit going on with it, so while I haven't changed my mind as such I am will to soften my stance and am happy the kids are enjoying these, and as a big kid I can only hope this popularity will lead to other sets down the road.
    I don't mean to diss constructive criticism (pun unintended), I was just fed up with all the people whining about how they were terrible and expensive and how they pretty much sounded like though Lego only existed to cater to their wants.
    mr.pigglesSumoLegoOmastar
    Wait?!

Lego isn't going to produce sets based upon the Snorks?  I put in a nicely worded letter asking Lego to specifically cater to my wants!

Dagnabbit! 
    Omastar
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    This is such an odd theme. I was going to restrict myself to Scooby Doo this summer, but I've managed to pick up a few Jurassic World sets already. I don't even think they're all that appealing, but they do have dinosaurs, so that's always awesome... Right?

And the Wal Mart exclusive... Did LEGO really underproduce these sets, or are they really selling as well as it appears?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    "Underproduced" is trickier to guess, but I'm sure there were many fewer Raptor Escapes produced than Raptor Rampages for example.
  • kev_from_Ozkev_from_Oz Perth, Western OzMember Posts: 1
    My son likes playing with the Raptor Rampage set. It is a shame though that Lego didn't include two more headcam harnesses for Charlie and Echo from the Raptor Escape set. And considering the cost of the set the two pieces should have been included, so you can recreate the scene from the film.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited October 2015
    You are absolutely right, and I was surprised by that also.  It's a really specialized piece, you already spent the R&D on it and it would help with both the logic and the desirability of the set.  Why not use it for the other two?

Of course, I'm saying this about a set that sold out long ago.