The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Baseplate Blues

prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,842
edited November 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I've finally started working on rebuilding a big LEGO Town layout I had when I was a kid. Luckily I have a lot of baseplates, but many are green roads, and light gray roads of varying patterns. So it's a bit of a hodgepodge with ugly flow.

Checking Lego.com, I was really disappointed to see TLG has only one option to purchase of T-square and a curved road 32x32, each black, #7281, for $15. I think that's really high for 2 road plates. And no straight ones to boot!

I know I can buy used roads via eBay, Bricklink, etc. But since it's rare for sets to come with road plates these days, you'd think TLG would offer these (affordably) as encouragement to build towns. Or at least continue producing the traditional light gray to help fans continue to build on towns they started long ago.

Comments

• CountryboyCountryboy Member Posts: 36
    Agree wholeheartedly. I have been working on building my city as well and have started with the road layout. I've been acquiring the older green / gray road road plates on ebay now for some time and almost have all that i need. However i think i would have rather went with the new colors. I just couldn't justify the associated costs.....
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    Yeah I came out of my dark ages about 2yrs ago and missed all the green edged baseplates. I didn't even know about them until May this year when I went to an exhibition.
    I bought 8 of each of the new road plates packs plus some from a flea market. I now have alot of "X-intersections" I don't need or can't use. The rest are cool though.
    It would be great if they did some tri-packs without the X-intersection....

I still have all my old baseplates though- I'll never great rid of those - or the luna base plates that are the same grey :D
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    I would like to see packs of just straights! I have enough T's & +'s to last a lifetime. For example on my run of modulars I don't need any cross-roads so to get the 5 straights I want I get a bundle of + roads. Grrrr.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,664
    edited November 2011
    The last baseplates I got from LEGO was a DACTA Road plate set a few years ago... Baseplates are going for way too much and you have to wonder if LEGO is doing this because of manufactering costs, or if they just do this cause the know that kids will want baseplates...
    One thing that still disappoints be is that no sets come with standard 32x32 plates any longer.. which is a shame... Heck it would have been nice to have at least a 16x32 baseplate for the Public transport system
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    I agree about the baseplates being way too expensive. I was actually thinking about going to a hardware store and finding some kind of grey material and some yellow strip tape and just making my own roadways. Or even just spraying some cardboard with grey paint and adding yellow lines to that. You could probably have 10x the amount of road for a fraction of the cost.