Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dino 2012 Sets

sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
edited November 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I posted some photos from the Dino Ambush Attack (5882) on my flickr feed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidersdd/sets/72157627957051763/

I'm disappointed in the dinosaur. It's all rubber. Not the ABS plastic we love from LEGO. It comes in some new packaging form which has a plastic fitting around it, supposedly to prevent it from warping/bending when in the box.

The new tranquilizer gun is cool, as well as the lime green syringe. I like the minifig too. I forgot to take a photo but the safari-esque elements on the off-roader vehicle are printed parts - not stickers.

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    Rubber? I wonder why they've done that? The pigs and goats were ABS (I think) and are a lot smaller. Unless its to prevent snapping of the arms?
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Yeah, pretty lame. The arms and legs don't move, and I can't remove them to use in MOCs. #fail#
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,635
    Thanks for the sneak peek pics, @sidersdd. I'll reserve judgement until I see the beastie, but it certainly looks excellent, even if it is a bit rubbery....
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I wonder if it's so they don't have the same problems as the camel? Which has a very noticeable join along it's spine. Might be an issue with the larger ABS molded pieces?
  • smythsmyth Member Posts: 4
    I just saw these on ebay!
    I thought they weren't supposed to be out yet. Anyone have any idea where they might have come from?
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @smyth Toys R Us had them available online and the LEGO stores have had them in store.
    I don't think Toys R Us actually had them in stock. I think they just added them, but they haven't been in stock that I've seen. The Lego store thing might be it. thanks.
    I got mine from Toys R Us on-line.
    Hmmm...they must have just sold out really fast then. Thanks.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    @smyth yea I heard they added a bunch of 2012 sets on TRU.com then they sold out and now removed some. You can still search and find them I think but they should be out of stock. A lot of people got some tho.
    I just realized the new 1x1 Round Tile is in this set. Trans-Red. I'll try and get a photo of it.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    RUBBER!!!!????

For crying out loud. Why don't LEGO just quit the market if they just want to make rubber toys. Okay, just exaggerating there for effect. But the point is a genuine concern, LEGO are increasingly making large single piece moulds in sets, which defeats the whole point of using your creative juices to MAKE something from the VAST range of building elements that are already available, and it's just cutting corners to be cheap, and goes against the whole philosphy of what LEGO bricks are about.

Now they even want to use RUBBER!? Which as everyone knows will, over years, become dried out, cracked, and eventually turn to powder. Plus there's not a single extra use for the bits, as there are no bits to use.

I mean, there's a whole load of cheap rubber (and plastic) dinosaurs on the toy market already. I might as well just glue a stud on one of those! :o/

If LEGO do dinosaurs, the LEAST they could do is give us LEGO abs plastic, in the same manner of the horses, camels, Taun-Taun, pigs, goats etc that we all know and love. With a moving head, or arms, with a few studs.

That VERY shortsighted decision has just lost LEGO sales of the entire theme for me. I saw the sets and thought "COOL, dinosaurs!". But if they're gonna be rubber? Stuff them. I've got loads of toy dinosaurs for the kids to play with.

What next? Lego Classic Movies theme, where they just chuck a big teddy bear gorilla in the box they picked up at a fair ground, and call it Lego Kong set?

It was cheap production and a slacking attitude to precision that caused the camels to be offset (considering they got the horses just fine decades ago), so there's no excuse for dinosaurs to be any different. Even badly offset dino's would be preferred to rubber.

It's decisions like this, made by accountants and 'bean-counters', that send good companies down the tube.
    Trans-red 1x1 tile posted.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    Trans-red 1x1 tile posted.
    That is sexy. I love it!
    edited November 2011
    ^^^ legomatt - I agree it's pretty weak. I'm hoping it's only this dino in the cheapest set which is rubber. Otherwise, I agree, this theme is written off for me.

Here's the pic with the raptor ($29.99 set). It looks like it may have moving parts. The tail looks to be multiple parts.
  • FizzlemesexyFizzlemesexy Member Posts: 123
    edited November 2011
    Looking at the box art of all the sets I think it's only that dino mold that is immobile and rubber. The HQ has the same dino too, but again I think the bigger ones are some form of harder plastic... They did the same thing with the last line too.

:edit: If it is all rubber, it will change wanting the theme to just a set or two.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited November 2011
    Yes, i checked the brickset pages for the rest of the theme, (too late to edit my initial post), and also thought that the dino's in other sets look to have moving parts more akin to standard plastics, and look to have a join-line down the middle.

So thankfully, it looks like only this small model is plagued with being a rubber dinosaur.

Actually, it's almost funny.

"Look out, Professor, a dinosaur!"
    "Don't worry lad, it's only rubber..."
    "Oh, what a relief, i thought we were done for!"
    "... but that larger one isn't, RUN!"

:o)
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    What is interesting is the stud is not rubbery, but abs. Personally, I don't mind the rubbery-ness of the small one. You can squeeze a rod in its hands, and since the mouth has an opening that is rod shaped, but teeth cover it, the rubber allows you to put something in its mouth that would not work if it were abs, for example, a fish, or turkey leg. It's not all bad.

Oh, and you get an extra 1x1 trans red tile. I like that!
    Picked up T-Rex Hunter today. T-Rex is not rubber, but rather proper plastic, with moveable limbs. I won't have time to take photos tonight, but will try tomorrow.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 594
    Rubber Lego dinosaurs...TLG once again fails to impress me with a dinosaur-based theme. Well, to be honest, it's more than that in my opinion, but good to get the heads-up on this little change before actually buying one myself.
  • technicaltacticstechnicaltactics Member Posts: 47
    These sets fail to impress me, if not all except the tower attack. It just looks like it may take the fate of AC, or PQ, or just all the other one-and-dones...