Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Feature Request: Apply Theme Preferences to reviews as well.

SlyRaskalSlyRaskal Member Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Brickset.com
I like the Theme Preferences feature which hides themes from the set listing pages for sets that one is not interested in. I feel that this information could be made more useful by also applying it to other areas of the site, for example, the news articles.  If a person isn't interested in a theme, so much so they hide it from set listings pages, I'm confident that they probably will not read a review of a set for said theme. 

I understand that caution will need to be taken to ensure that news articles that make anouncments about new sets could include both themes a user has excluded and themes they have not, but for now, how about just hiding reviews of sets for themes users do not have any interest in based on their theme preferences.

Benefits: 1) UX is more personalized. 2) They do not have to sift through information they have already identified as items they are not interested in.

For example, I have the 'elves' set as blocked from the set listings pages; however, I still see a listing for a review of a set within that page on the home page:

Comments

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    @Huw is away on holiday at the moment but will consider the feasibility of this when he returns. It seems like a good idea to me but may be tricky to implement.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,749
    edited June 2015
    For me, I think a lot of the appeal of reviews comes from getting an inside look at sets you might not be thinking of buying. I don't have much interest in buying Star Wars sets, but I like reading Star Wars reviews to what features they have, how they're built, and what Star Wars fans think of them. Enable people to do too much filtering and it will just make the community that much more fragmented and its members more ignorant of things outside their own personal "bubble".

Plus, unlike with sets in a database, if you ignore a review/news article for long enough it will fall off your radar on its own as other news articles replace it (and there's little point in slogging through older news articles one at a time since Brickset makes it so easy to tailor your news archive searches towards what interests you). Brickset news articles are frequent enough that I think anybody should have the patience to put up with ones that don't interest them until they go away on their own.
    drdavewatfordShibCapnRex101
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,318
    I like reading random review articles, but I can understand why some want specific themes turned off. I don't see any problem letting someone choose. After all, they can choose not to see any reviews if they want. The alternative to not blocking reviews of themes in the hope people read ones they are not interested in is that people just hide them all instead.
    SlyRaskal
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    It may well be possible to filter the user submitted reviews using your preferences but not the featured news on the home page.  The three articles are picked from recent ones and are shown to everyone.

Next you'd be wanting to filter all news articles to block those about Elves... :-)