Angry Birds maker Rovio signs toy deal with Lego

GoldfreekGoldfreek USA, California, SacramentoMember Posts: 96

Looks like we will have some Lego versions of Angry Birds in spring of 2016. I wonder what they will be like.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/angry-birds-maker-rovio-signs-toy-deal-lego-101246727--finance.html

Comments

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    lol, bet the 100 fans it still has can't wait.

BuriedinBricksOmastarbobabricksRedbullgivesuwindTheLoneTensorLordofLegokiki18070377ncaachamps
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Dear Lord above, please....no.....why?  
    LordofLego
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    edited June 2015
    This would have sold ridiculously a few years ago. But the Angry Birds fad has pretty much passed. Will anyone even care about this? It's kind of like how they released a Frozen set a year after the movie's peak popularity. 
    jesirose
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    I do agree that the fad has well past and they missed the boat. 
    At the same time, I would argue that the fad for TMNT had past as well. One could argue that cowboys/TLR fad had passed a long, long time ago. 

I don't think Lego necessarily creates all set to be huge blockbusters, but perhaps some they plan as short term items. I could see a nice spike when the movie came out, followed by the large lull afterwards. There are few enough family cartoons that despite the fad not being there, I'm sure we will see the movie, and my son will probably want at least one set if they are done well. 

What does surprise me, though, is Angry Bird over Minions. I have to think for whatever reasons a Minions deal fell through, especially after all the rumors for Minions. That would have been a strong seller. 
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,366
    Well this feels about 3 years too late.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    what if this is a dimensions pack. this is one theme that wont sell well.
  • tratclifftratcliff Member Posts: 13
    There's an Angry Birds movie due out in May, 2016. TLG is doing movie-based sets. 
    SumoLegotedward
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 387
    Eventually cheap parts! Yay! 
    aimlesspursuitsprevere
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    I would wager LEGO got very, very good terms in this license. Rovio is probably just happy to be at the table with LEGO. At least I am hoping that's how this deal shook out. Otherwise the "is LEGO heading for a fall" thread may not be so doom and gloom after all. 
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 937
    What a crappy licensing deal.  Very disappointed, almost anything else would have been better.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I agree with others...way too late!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,919
    I still have hope there'll be a Snorks playset.

Anyway, Angry Birds still sells well.  One could argue they're much, much more relevant than Scooby-Doo.  
    andheaimlesspursuitsAanchirOmastarthenospreverestlux
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,755
    Do they still sell well? I certainly still see licensed products on the shelves but it seems no way as prevalent as say a couple of years ago. The kids I know who were mad for it seemed to have moved on to minecraft, but that may be an age thing.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    tamamahm said: 
    At the same time, I would argue that the fad for TMNT had past as well. One could argue that cowboys/TLR fad had passed a long, long time ago.
    It was known TMNT would be a theme before the Nickelodeon show aired, and the sets were available about three months after the premiere. It was known TLR would be a theme more than six months before the movie was released, and the sets were available two months before it was released.
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    Do people really still play Angry Birds? If I had downloaded it, I would be tired of it by now. And did anyone else catch that this was to go with an Angry Birds movie? Yep. A movie, too. It seems that Hollywood and Lego now both have flown over the line. Can we boycott the Angry Birds theme? Please? No one buy a single set.
    VorpalRyu
    Maybe it'll be Duplo!
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    A great deal for Rovio.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,803
    Do people really still play Angry Birds? If I had downloaded it, I would be tired of it by now. And did anyone else catch that this was to go with an Angry Birds movie? Yep. A movie, too. It seems that Hollywood and Lego now both have flown over the line. Can we boycott the Angry Birds theme? Please? No one buy a single set.

Compared to a lot of the mobile games out these days, Angry Birds is a sparkling gem. In the very least it involves some critical thinking instead of just being an endless runner or something of that ilk. And in light of how flooded the market is with mobile games, a bit of brand name recognition goes a long way. If kids have so much as HEARD of Angry Birds, that gives it a step up against its competitors.

Angry Birds is also not just one game — Rovio has continued to release new Angry Birds games since its launch. Most just add slight innovations to the familiar gameplay model. "Angry Birds Space", for instance, added planets and planetoids with their own circular gravity fields instead of just downwards gravity for the whole stage. All it takes is a new gimmick or two to freshen the game up for a new audience.

Besides that, I remember that people raised similar concerns about Minecraft when it was first approved through LEGO Ideas, and look how well that's done. A game doesn't have to be brand-new or even particularly complex to be widely enjoyed. Just look at Pac-Man, Tetris, or Minesweeper.

Aanchir said:

Compared to a lot of the mobile games out these days, Angry Birds is a sparkling gem. In the very least it involves some critical thinking instead of just being an endless runner or something of that ilk. And in light of how flooded the market is with mobile games, a bit of brand name recognition goes a long way. If kids have so much as HEARD of Angry Birds, that gives it a step up against its competitors.

Angry Birds is also not just one game — Rovio has continued to release new Angry Birds games since its launch. Most just add slight innovations to the familiar gameplay model. "Angry Birds Space", for instance, added planets and planetoids with their own circular gravity fields instead of just downwards gravity for the whole stage. All it takes is a new gimmick or two to freshen the game up for a new audience.

Besides that, I remember that people raised similar concerns about Minecraft when it was first approved through LEGO Ideas, and look how well that's done. A game doesn't have to be brand-new or even particularly complex to be widely enjoyed. Just look at Pac-Man, Tetris, or Minesweeper.

Yeah, Angry Birds is a great game, and Lego could have picked far worse mobile games to use, but even Angry Birds doesn't need a Lego theme. Or a movie, for that matter. It just seems like the Angry Birds craze is over. The other Angry Birds themes were part of my disenchantment with it, though. I've never tried Angry Birds Space, but it was one of my least favourites. It actually sounds kind of good though... At any rate, as long as Angry Birds Star Wars doesn't get a movie or Lego set, I can't complain too much. I'm just kind of... Disappointed. I liked the original Angry Birds for a while, but I got over it, as I'm sure many people have by now. However, as a Lego theme, the only license I can think of as of this writing that would be worse is Justin Beiber. With sound bricks.
    VorpalRyu
    edited June 2015
    ^TL;DR: Angry Birds: Yaaay! Angry Birds Lego: Aaaaarg. Justin Beiber Lego: NONONONONO NOT EVER
    VorpalRyu
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    My 8 year old is crazy for Angry Birds right now, Angry Birds Star Wars, Angry Birds Space, Angry Bird Pigs. He is constantly on the look out for the Jenga games and the plush toys. I doubt he is the only kid, so I think the people writing this off may be judging it based upon an AFOL perspective and not the kids. Especially if a movie is in the works, makes sense to release a range of kids toys to coincide with the release of a kids movie. And I wouldn't rule out the release of Angry Birds (The Movie) Lego Dimensions sets. Makes a lot more sense to me that releasing The Lone Ranger sets, a movie which 90% of kids would never have watched.
    edited June 2015
    TheLoneTensor
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Let it die please. What next, Duck Dynasty?
    LordofLegoVorpalRyu
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,293
    now I wonder why there is no lego scrooge mc duck yet?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    ^Think of all the gold coins.
    andheRonyar
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    edited June 2015
    Like princedraven said before, I do also know a lot of kids who like angry birds. My 5-year old has only played the original app-game a couple of times but he has a brick version (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Angry-Birds-Knock-Wood-Game/dp/B004U52VPS) and he never watches the cartoons.

He loves the angry birds though, just the figures. He playes the game quite a lot, has had it for 2 years and it's still a winner. Also with friends that come around. We recently bought him a red angy bird backpak and he was so happy he lugged it around everywhere. When I told him there was going to be Angry Birds LEgo he was exctatic. There are a lot of IP's I would perfer Lego to get but it might be quite a hit with the kids. I guess a lot of it depends on the movie.

I just really wonder what they are going to do with it and hope you are not meant to break brick walls with other bricks, that would be just wrong :(

LordofLego said:
    I've never tried Angry Birds Space, but it was one of my least favourites. It actually sounds kind of good though... 
    This has me really confused....
    1.You haven't tried Angry Birds Space
    2.It's one of your least favourites
    3.It actually sounds kind of good

How can something you have never tried, that you think actually sounds kind of good, be your least favourite??

I think the general feeling here is that the AFOL's me included would have played Angry Birds the first app a long time ago, so therefore will see it as old hat, but the kids of today who are only just getting in to iPads and iPhones and apps etc will be loving:

Angry Birds Go - Racing
    Angry Birds Epic - RPG
    Angry Birds Fight - Match 3 game
    Angry Birds StarWars 1 and 2
    Angry Birds Space
    Angry Birds Stella - Girls
    Angry Birds POP - Bubble Shooter
    + Angry Birds (the original), Angry Birds Seasons, Angry Birds Rio
    + Toys

So from an Adult point of view its easy to go "enough already with your stupid Angry Birds", but from a kids point of view it is just more and more games to play with familiar characters.
    SumoLegomdellemanBumblepants
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,293

well, at least they didn't decide to do MLP...

^For the record I wouldn't mind MLP, if only for parts/colors/animals variety. They have a unicorn, right? 

I actually love Angry Birds Space. I thought it was a really cool spin on the original and added a new level of challenge. I'd totally be on board if the sets had some representation of the game, but I doubt it. These sets will probably all tie in with the movie. 
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 197
    I want to be dismissive, but I can't pretend I didn't go "Huh? Seriously?" the first time I heard about the Lego movie.  So if they put together a good Angry Birds film, who knows?  Besides it's got Peter Dinklage in it, whichever set has the Mighty Eagle just sold itself to me right there.

LordofLego said:
    I've never tried Angry Birds Space, but it was one of my least favourites. It actually sounds kind of good though... 
    This has me really confused....
    1.You haven't tried Angry Birds Space
    2.It's one of your least favourites
    3.It actually sounds kind of good

How can something you have never tried, that you think actually sounds kind of good, be your least favourite??

I think the general feeling here is that the AFOL's me included would have played Angry Birds the first app a long time ago, so therefore will see it as old hat, but the kids of today who are only just getting in to iPads and iPhones and apps etc will be loving:

Angry Birds Go - Racing
    Angry Birds Epic - RPG
    Angry Birds Fight - Match 3 game
    Angry Birds StarWars 1 and 2
    Angry Birds Space
    Angry Birds Stella - Girls
    Angry Birds POP - Bubble Shooter
    + Angry Birds (the original), Angry Birds Seasons, Angry Birds Rio
    + Toys

So from an Adult point of view its easy to go "enough already with your stupid Angry Birds", but from a kids point of view it is just more and more games to play with familiar characters.
    Sorry. I meant it was my least favorite concept. Although, I forgot about the Star Wars one. I have tried Angry Birds SW and it is my least favorite. I do like the sound of the regular Space one.

I just keep digging myself into a deeper hole.
    princedraven
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    Fauch said:
    now I wonder why there is no lego scrooge mc duck yet?
    I would kill for a Darkwing Duck minifigure....now that would be a far better license.
    SumoLegoRonyarSirBen
    No love for Snorks?
  • flecskiflecski Member Posts: 76
    My boys would have loved Lego to have had the Penguins Of Madagascar license, but I think they will also be the target audience for Angry Birds sets.
    Whereas my wife would probably prefer the Game Of Thrones license.
    VorpalRyu
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    BACbrix said:
    Let it die please. What next, Duck Dynasty?
    If they'd do that, I'd lose the remaining shred of respect I have for Lego.
    VorpalRyu
    edited June 2015
    Fauch said:

well, at least they didn't decide to do MLP...

I'd love LEGO MLP, especially since I would sooner trust LEGO to come up with a reliably high-quality product than Hasbro. But a cartoon that's actually owned by a rival toy company is a very different situation than one that's just been previously licensed to a rival toy company. So I don't see any chance of LEGO My Little Pony, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Mr. Potato Head, etc. in the foreseeable future. Especially since Hasbro has their own building brick brand in the form of Kre-O.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,827
    ^huh. Good thing they photographed it on a plate or there would be no way to know it was Lego
    just2goodlegomental
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    ^almost look like duplo
    SumoLegopharmjod
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    I think it actually looks pretty good. My fear with this one is that it was going to look too boxy. This at least looks like an angry bird. 

I still find it very odd, though, that they went with this license, and yet they do not have the Minion license.
    pharmjod
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    It looks as if the red bird is of different design than the birds in silhouettes. The latter have a stud and two feathers on top.
    Angry Birds don't have feet. Kinda looks like a penguin. At least it looks round and otherwise the same art style. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,797
    Galactus said:
    It looks as if the red bird is of different design than the birds in silhouettes. The latter have a stud and two feathers on top.
    They are pigs, aren't they?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,216
    While Angry Birds is not anything like the height of it's popularity I think it does still have quite a following, I was surprised last weekend to see my dad playing it on his phone while waiting for something.

Loads of people keep mentioning Duplo and I just don't get why, it's obviously not going to be Duplo - the age range for duple is too specific for this kind of licence, if anything it might end up like Fabuland/Juniors, but I really don't think so. The figure looks compatible to the small rock monster creatures. I'm curious as to whether we might see some egg pieces as a result of this, they could be useful for all manner of finishing parts if LEGO start producing them in several colours.
    Galactus said:
    I think the silhouetted characters are pigs, not birds.
    Angry Birds don't have feet. Kinda looks like a penguin. At least it looks round and otherwise the same art style. 
    The characters have legs in the few teaser images I've seen for the movie, so no doubt that's what this is based on.

I don't mind this figure design. Reminds me of the smaller rock monsters from Power Miners. But I'm more interested in seeing the playsets themselves than the figures. The most interesting thing about the game, for me at least, is the kinetic element of its gameplay — using a slingshot to strategically demolish structures. If the people making the movie have any idea what they're doing they'll try to reflect that kinetic element in some fashion, so I hope LEGO will do the same.
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    I'm wondering if that red bird will actually be posed like that or did they take creative license and make him "flexible" just for the ad?

I never played AB until they created SW AB. Everything is better with Star Wars!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,797
    Most Lego series get completely unrealistic looking mini figure poses these days, so it is probably more artistic license and less what the figure actually looks like. Although probably closer than the common portrayal of minifigures with twisted legs and raised arms.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    CCC said:

They are pigs, aren't they?
    How could I have missed that! Off course they are  :D  And the Red Bird's defensive attitude makes much more sense to me now.  ;)
  • pumbaughpumbaugh Member Posts: 23
    So are these sets going to have some sort of catapult and what not like the other Angry Birds toys of old?  Only way I could find them amusing at all is if you can set up your own board like in the mobile game and then fling the birds at it....Even then it may be a stretch....