Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

Engraving Bricks

theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,510
I'm thinking of getting a machine to engrave bricks, is there anything I should know before I buy?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,801
    Isn't engraving on its way out now, with the increase in direct printing on bricks.
    Paperballpark
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,099
    edited June 2015
    From 1955 until 1972 engraved LEGO bricks were the standard...  then in 1971 the unthinkable happened..... STICKERS!!!   :'(

Here's a chapter from my Unoffficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide - Chapter 48 - Printed and Painted LEGO Elements (guide still available   ;) ) that shows how the golden age of engraved bricks evolved....  :)

http://www.1000steine.de/brickset/miscellaneous/Lego Chapter 48 Vol2.pdf

Back in the 1950s and 1960s each country used to have their own spare parts pack of 7-10 engraved bricks.

Here is the (circa 1958) spare parts pack for Belgium, with writing in French, Flemish (Dutch) and International....

Engraved bricks used to be produced by TLG in an amazing assortment of fonts and colors.....  this is just a small sample....

Geeze.... I have soooooo many images of old and new LEGO parts from collectors around the world... that I just discovered one that was right under my nose!!   :o

In the previous group... there's a "POSTI" 1x6 printed brick.... Now I have to notify the owner of this image (and bricks) that he has a VERY VERY rare brick from Finland.  Bricks from that country can run $50-$100 each!!  This is because they are usually very different from those of other countries (Finnish is not an Indo-European language)...   :)
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,510
    @CCC possibly to an extent, however I don't have £20k to drop on a UV printer.
    @Istokg There is certainly a lot of variation in those including font styles. Not sure printed bricks would have lasted so well over time as they have.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,450
    There are companies who will print directly onto the bricks for you - minifigforlife is one. To be honest, I've had bricks engraved before, but never again - I'll be getting them printed from now on.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,801
    @CCC possibly to an extent, however I don't have £20k to drop on a UV printer.
    You'll be competing with a number of other already pretty well known UK brick engravers that are selling to a dwindling market, now there are other people with UV printers that print on bricks and torsos, etc.

If you haven't already got the machine, or aren't going to be using it for other work, I wouldn't bother entering the lego engraving market.
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 114
    There was a great post about this on another thread recently
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/349672/#Comment_349672
    It even mentions a specific model, Roland EGX-20.

I have been wondering about this myself recently. I kind of like the idea of having a desktop engraver but I wonder just how much use I would realistically get out of it.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 260
    Why not just a $40 Dremel with an $3 engraving tip? 
    cody6268 said:
    Why not just a $40 Dremel with an $3 engraving tip? 
    I'd like it to look roughly like what i'd planned on. :lol:.
    ShibGalactus
    EvilTwin said:
    There was a great post about this on another thread recently
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/349672/#Comment_349672
    It even mentions a specific model, Roland EGX-20.

I have been wondering about this myself recently. I kind of like the idea of having a desktop engraver but I wonder just how much use I would realistically get out of it.
    I've been thinking of an MPX-90, so it's kind of not an engraver in the sense it uses a routing style bit, it uses a tipped bit and hits the item with force, it can be used for all sorts, different metal plates, tags, lighters, flasks etc, all sorts.