Channel 4 (UK) The Secret World of LEGO televison programme

AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 356
It is mentioned in the Bricks thread, but I thought I would start a fresh one related to the programme and could not find anything else on the forum (please correct me if I'm wrong). All I could find was the press page on the Channel 4 website here .

The release says,

"Last year LEGO became the most profitable toy maker in the world. Now this notoriously secretive, privately-owned superbrand has opened its doors. We discover what makes it tick, meet some of its key people and reveal more about the company DNA than ever before.

In The Secret World of Lego, we follow Justin, a 23 year old design student, as he travels to LEGO headquarters in Denmark in pursuit of one of the most hotly contested jobs in the world – a LEGO set designer. We meet Liverpudlian Matthew, who undertook the same process and has now risen to become a Vice President of Design. We follow Mark and Tom, two adult fans of LEGO, as they try two different money-making schemes they hope will transform their love of the brick into hard cash. And there’s Roar, the LEGO “reputation manager”, who guides us through this secret world - until we get a little too close for comfort."

Sounds quite interesting and I will certainly be watching. I just hope that it is a genuine look at the company and not be twisted by the channel's interest in making a story, which is always a danger with these things. The words used are quite unusual IMO (notoriously secretive?) and make it sound like the inside world of a Bond villian when in fact any great company could be described that way, especially if you are going to stay ahead of the game.

Anyway, I'm hoping it will be a great insight for those of us unable to make the Inside Tour every year, or like my 8 year old, show him how difficult it is to become a LEGO designer!

I'm assuming that this is also the programme / series that the new venture of Bricks was featured in (Huw - you might be able to confirm?)

According to the Channel 4 website it is on 14th June at 8pm. One to drag yourself away for a moment, from building the Ferris Wheel or riding an ostrich in LEGO worlds!

GothamConstructionCoKevin_HyattAdzbadboykiki180703

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,797
    I assume Mark is Mark Guest, looking to make from publishing. The other one I'll guess is a bricklink seller.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,441
    Yes, this is the one that's been mentioned in passing that followed Mark around while he launched the new magazines. There's a chance I'll be in it as they came to Billund with us back in March. Hopefully not too much, though!

I'm going to be away when it's on so will have to set the Sky+.
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    This sounds good. Going to sky+ it to make sure its watched.
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 114
    In what way are Lego any more "notoriously secretive" than any other major brand? What other company offers inside tours, shows off designer videos when new products are released, and offers fans of the product a chance to get their own designs made into sets? That "...until we get a little too close for comfort" makes it sound a bit like it's going to be a bit of a hatchet job

• AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 356
    EvilTwin said:
    In what way are Lego any more "notoriously secretive" than any other major brand? What other company offers inside tours, shows off designer videos when new products are released, and offers fans of the product a chance to get their own designs made into sets? That "...until we get a little too close for comfort" makes it sound a bit like it's going to be a bit of a hatchet job

That's the only thing I worry about as well, no matter how careful you are, the final cut can sometimes end up as not what you were expecting, but we will see... I hope it will be an insight to the company we all love.
    Huw said:
    Yes, this is the one that's been mentioned in passing that followed Mark around while he launched the new magazines. 
    Thanks Huw for confirming it, just make sure you set the Sky+ correctly!
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,755
    The fact that its on channel 4 makes me wonder if they'll go for an angle, rather than a friendly in sight into the company. That said, they programme description may just be making it sound more contraversial than it actually is, just to get people like us to watch it... Looking forward to the closing scenes of the documentary as the camera crew flee Billund for uncovering a deadly secret, chased by an army of mindstorm operated killer robots.
    AndyPolAdzbadboyGalactus
    While carrying bags of swag.
    AndyPolandhe
    The producer/cameraman who followed us to Billund seemed like a good guy and gave the impression that they would not be looking to sensationalise it, or make those taking part look like idiots.

There may be some 'mild peril', though, as is common on C4 documentaries, just before the ad breaks :)
    andhe
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,216
    ^ If it is sensationalised I'd think that it would be the producers doing it, not the cameraman. Not saying that's what I'm expecting, but I think that it's always worth remembering the cameraman records everything in linear, chronological order, but the producers are the ones who look at it and say 'this is boring, if we move this argument to this point later on it'll be a lot more interesting' etc
    Only a week to go, why don't we leave it and see what happens? Despite my reservations, I'm still looking forward to it, so let's speculate on what we hope to see rather than what we don't!

We can jump to LEGO's defence next Sunday evening if Channel 4 doesn't do a good job!
    The cameraman is also the producer and director, according to http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/the-secret-world-of-lego, so I'm confident it'll be OK...
    Ah that's fair enough. As I said I wasn't necessarily expecting the worst, it's just that whole thing of never really knowing with tv.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    Thomas Poulsom just announced he will be featured on the show. I cannot wait for the show, how long will it be?
    According to the Radio Times TV listings, it's one hour long, 8-9pm, 14th June.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Hm, I'll keep an eye out for this.
    AndyPol said:
    According to the Radio Times TV listings, it's one hour long, 8-9pm, 14th June.
    I just looked again at the Radio Times details for the show here and I don't know if they have had a preview or something, but the review says:

"This intriguing doc attempts to discover how a family-run business based in a Danish village became the biggest toy manufacturer in the world. The case is built brick by brick, talking to workers at Lego HQ, adult fans and a student applying for a job as a designer.

It promises to lift the lid on the secretive company, but everything feels stage-managed – a design team admits to re-creating a conversation for the cameras. Finally, after hearing fans' and workers' evangelical zeal, the question has to be asked: is Lego a cult? When the CEO talks about the company's values in terms of spirituality, the answer seems to be yes."

Totally different to the view on the Channel 4 website!

• SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,703

Thanks for the ends up, sky+ed already, will keep an eye out for huw.

edited June 2015
    For those that miss the programme or don't set their Sky+ correctly, it will be repeated on 4seven on Monday 15th June, 9:00pm and again on 4seven on Wednesday 17th June, 2:30am. Also, if you miss the main programme, it's repeated on Channel 4+1 the next hour on Sunday (9-10pm).

No excuse now for anyone to miss it!

It may be available for download on 4od in the days afterwards as well, but can't find that confirmed anywhere yet.
    Just noticed that the programme is appearing as listed on "All 4", so it looks like you will be able to download later and watch at your leisure for those of you without Sky+ etc.
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 187
    just seen the advert excited much! 
    52scoobydoo

Just seen the advert again on TV, so thought I would bump this to the top in case anyone hadn't seen it, although I think the entire world knows, but you never know!
  • AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
    Interesting

• legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Can't wait to see this program! For those of us outside the UK, it will be wonderful to see the link for downloading the show. 

Folks seem to be tiptoeing lightly around the question: '"Is LEGO a cult?" I would argue that it sure as hell is, and who cares? Everyone needs multiple things to believe in/play with during a long life, and LEGO is just one of those options. Is soccer a cult, yup, too, for many folks. Likewise for cooking, golfing, Nascar/Formula One, drinking, many churches/religions, gardening, watching films/tv, and so on depending on ones level of devotion to that activity.  IMHO all cults are not bad and do not pass out fatal Kool-Aid to drink. 
    AndyPol
    legogal said:
    Can't wait to see this program! For those of us outside the UK, it will be wonderful to see the link for downloading the show.
    I have just had a look on the Channel 4 website at their FAQs here and it appears that you can't watch their programmes abroad, although given the world-wide interest in Lego, I would hope it can be viewed for you all later.
    @AndyPol ; Does that mean that outside the UK we can't download the show? Thanks!
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,035
    ^ I'm afraid so.
    legogal said:
    @AndyPol ; Does that mean that outside the UK we can't download the show? Thanks!
    I don't think there are any legitimate ways to do it, sorry :( If there are, someone on the forum might know and I would happily be corrected?
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    @legogal I have used https://www.filmon.com/group/uk-live-tv on my tablet abroad before. Just tried it again and the site still works.
    snowhitie
  • Lind_WhispererLind_Whisperer ZotaxMember Posts: 65
    legogal said:

Folks seem to be tiptoeing lightly around the question: '"Is LEGO a cult?" I would argue that it sure as hell is, and who cares? Everyone needs multiple things to believe in/play with during a long life, and LEGO is just one of those options. Is soccer a cult, yup, too, for many folks. Likewise for cooking, golfing, Nascar/Formula One, drinking, many churches/religions, gardening, watching films/tv, and so on depending on ones level of devotion to that activity.  IMHO all cults are not bad and do not pass out fatal Kool-Aid to drink. 
    I'd argue that it isn't. Cults generally have some form of rules or structure that is maintained to a perceivable level. The first thing that a new person notices about the LEGO community is just how little rules or structure we have* - everyone thinks differently, builds differently, and, occasionally, will defend their way of building or thinking to the death. So, I could suppose you could argue that "every LEGO builder is a one-person cult," but I don't think you would.

*And LEGO's cult thinking isn't that "there are no rules" - if it was, there'd be a whole lot more Cloud Cuckoo Lands.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    @legogal I use the same as @bendybadger and it should be legal as it was pre-installed on my laptop when I bought it.
    @bendybadger and ;
    Thanks for the info! Looking forward to the show. 

@Lind_Whisperer ;
    Well written. I can see where you are coming from and recognize both points of view. Yup. LEGO followers tend not to be as fanatic and rule bound as many stricter cults.

I prefer the positive approach to cults...they can give people a great sense of belonging to a group of folks like themselves who enjoy doing something similar large parts to the time. We are true believers in the power of LEGO to give us many years of pleasure. And yes, while there are lots of little rules (don't use the word "Legos," don't glue anything, don't use clone brands or talk about them here, postings have to be appropriate for families, stay on topic,) ... But these rules are nothing like those of the Major, SERIOUS DUDE cults that we read about in the press so often. 
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    Lol, re the re-enactment of the hotdog guy discussion. Busted.  :)
    How many people are now rushing out to buy a music stand?
    ShibAdzbadboydino_girlrdflegobluemoosePeteMMatthew
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    It's Huw!!!!
    dino_girl
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,484
    edited June 2015
    Anyone seen any secret new sets? :)
    I loved it when the lego designers saw the cameras outside and closed the metal shutters!!!
    Or should I say they closed the blast doors. :)
    andhe
    Poor Huw doesn't get an intro or any lines :-(
    ShibMinifigsMesnowhitieAdzbadboydino_girl
    Nice Hamleys markup on the Birds :/  
    ShibAdzbadboyandherdflego
    edited June 2015
    If you were there on the day, it was worth it for the signing. 
    edited June 2015
    Legoboy said:
    How many people are now rushing out to buy a music stand?
    Very clever idea, i spied it before Mark mentioned it and had to think how far in storage my music stand might be...
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    Quite enjoying this. Much better perspective on the adult collector than other shows have seen too. 
    roxio
    edited June 2015
    Think I might have to buy the Birds asap before the publicity leads them to sell out!

Caught a glimpse of Dr Dave at the Hub launch :-)
    richodino_girl
    edited June 2015
    Timmy!!

(Aka Caperberry)
    richodino_girl
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    I wonder what the Birds royalties were?!
    Loads of familiar faces at the Bricks Culture launch - Pete Reid,, CapnRex, Nick @Minifigsme, to name but a few. 

I was next to Dr Dave when he was interviewed but fortunately not caught on camera, phew!  :)
    dino_girl
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Love seeing all my friends on the show! Sad you were missed out Lucy! Can't believe Huw didn't get any intro!
    I'm not sad Caroline!!
    Legoboydino_girl
    Very good.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,335
    edited June 2015
    richo said:
    I wonder what the Birds royalties were?!
    He said enough to buy a car but not a Porsche so approx  £20k? ?
    That's 1% net profit in 3 months, so 100% = £2m or £8m in a year. Blimey. I need to submit some Ideas! !
    For something that couldn't possibly cover everything in just an hour, I thought it was fantastic, and a great insight.
    richo