LEGO Dowager lady Edith Kirk Christiansen turns 91 years old.

IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,098
edited June 2015 in Everything else LEGO
She was the daughter-in-law of LEGO founder Ole Kirk Christiansen (1891-1958), the wife of LEGO President Godtfred Kirk Christiansen (1920-1995), and the mother of LEGO owner Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen....  she turned 91 years old this past week on May 29, 2015, and appears still in good health.  May she live to be 100!!

With her family, LEGO executives and (bearded) architect Bjarke Ingels at last years groundbreaking for the LEGO House...

In 1961 with her late husband Godtfred (1920-1995),  and her children Gunhild (1946-present), Kjeld (1947-present) and Hanne (1951-1969, who died in a tragic car accident).

Images from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide chapter on the Christiansen/Kristiansen family.
catwrangler

Comments

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,098
    She looks like a sweet old lady....

catwrangler
    When you think that the family is worth about $12-$14 Billion, one is a little bit surprised by the rather modest burial plot that the Christiansen/Kristianset family has...

In this view, Ole Kirk Christiansen's grave (with the cross) has his son Godtfred Kirk Christiansen's even simpler grave in front of it, and Godtfred & Edith's daughter Hanne (d. 1969) with the white Pansies in front of that, one would be almost shocked by the frugalness of their graves.  But rural Jutland, the central part of mainland Denmark, is known for its' simple Lutheran faith.  A large fancy (easily affordable) mausoleum, was not even an afterthought.

This frugality has been a hallmark of LEGO and its' founding family for the last 80 years.

Again, in my collectors guide's latest updates on the corporate culture, I talk about the frugal nature of the company... even in the (billions of revenue) 21st century.

catwrangler
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I wouldn't exactly describe having a large plot has modest.

edited June 2015
    When grandson Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen owns a 50,000 acre horse farm in Scotland.... and greatgrandson Anders Kirk Johansen owns a $40 million estate overlooking a bay of the Baltic Sea... this middling gravel filled plot of land is indeed modest.....   :|
    edited August 2016
    I guess news from Billund is slow... unless it involves new LEGO sets..... 

Last December 23, 2015, 91 year old Edith Kirk Christiansen finally passed away.  :-(

RIP Edith....

http://vafo.dk/article/20151223/ARTIKLER/151229662
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,788
    It'd feel wrong to hit 'like' on a post like that, but thanks for posting about her. RIP. 
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    Love these articles on LEGO's and the family's history! Thanks for sharing Gary! And RIP Edith! She looked like a sweet old lady.