The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

For anyone with computer smarts...

carnigee77carnigee77 Member Posts: 5
edited November 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Help! I've recently been trying to submit my video to the Lego Super Heroes contest and have run into a boatload of problems. The official Super Heroes sight clearly states that you are alowed to use only "Lego and WB copywrite material". Many of the entries already posted on the sight contain Batman music. I tried to use the same music in my entrie but when I uploaded it to youtube, the sound was muted claiming I had illegaly used material. I submited a copyright dispute claim on my video telling about the contest, but it doesn't look like Ill be hearing back any time soon. I can't very easily write my own music, and the contest ends in 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Comments

• yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Maybe delete it and re upload with no mention of the music whatsoever (Ie don't mention the song in the credits, in the description, in the title whatever) I've been doing research on copyright stuff too when I post videos, and basically what I've heard is it's pretty much legal (well technically ILLEGAL but no one cares) to post videos with music as long as your not making money off it, once you do make money off it then it becomes highly illegal. So while its technically ILLEGAL to post with music that you don't own, its usually ok, I know I've posted videos with Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack and its ok. But what I read is when you credit it somewhere it will come up in youtubes software as illegal music so basically if you don't mention it maybe you wont get caught just long enough for you to enter it into the contest. Not sure if its the best way to go about it, but I guess its worth a try. I mean the worst that can happen is they mute your video or remove it from youtube.
  • carnigee77carnigee77 Member Posts: 5
    I didn't mention the music or any of the brand names anywhere. Was I just unlucky enough to have mine noticed right away? Anyway, thanks for the help yys4u, I might try reuploading it.
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    Youtube has got impressive systems in place that can recognize copyrighted audio and video (of course, only those items that have been submitted to them as "verboten" by rights holders). If they've flagged it, don't hope of getting around it.
    I get that, and I've basicly accepted that there is no way around it. It just bothers me that other people entering the contest were able to use the same music that was blocked for me. Oh, and does this link work? ? Sound and everything?
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    edited November 2011
    ^^The sound worked for me. Nice vid :D

Yeah I've always wondered this as well. I've actaully uploaded a family video at the beach and the ocean sound is apparently copyright ?!? but then I uploaded a video in a comp where, like you, everyone had the theme and mine got flagged too. I don't understand it.
    ^^ Thanks!
    I guess I'll just enter the video and keep my fingers crossed. My final obstical is the fact that the website shows up wierd on my computer and the text is over the "confirm that I am the creator/owner of this video" check box, so I cant mark it. I'll have to enter it on somebody elses computer. I thank everyone for their help and insight.
  • doodlebirddoodlebird Austin. Texas. Member Posts: 84
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    ^^ It can depend on your country, I think.

FYI you should use only one "^" when you refer to the post right above yours. "^^" means you're referring to the post above that one -- so carnigee77's latest post refers to his own previous post, and Jasen's refers to mine.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    ^ haha I'm new to the whole ^ ^^thing :) I feel so ashamed haha :P