Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Better sorting algorithms?

herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 54
I collect a few sets from each theme, more or less, and obviously usually want the "best" sets. The current options each leave something to be desired:
  • user rating: for most sets in a theme there are not enough ratings to be statistically significant (perhaps something else could be done to encourage rating, e.g. not requiring a full review?)
  • number owned/wanted: the division between owned and wanted is often correlated with the price (it is easier to own cheaper sets), which makes it hard to compare across a theme
  • number of pieces: the flagship sets are often the best, but usually there are also some smaller sets which are also worth getting. e.g. Orthanc is great, but so is Gandalf Arrives

I think a simple but effective measure would be (owned + wanted): i.e. the number of people who have ever wanted the set :smile: 

You could also imagine some slightly more complex operations, for example (owned + wanted) / price, which might have some relationship to the "value" of a set.

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,395
    edited May 2015
    What I would like to see is the ability to exclude themes when going through the "Discounts at Amazon.com" page. Currently, it's possible to select a theme of interest, but I haven't figured out how to quickly exclude themes. I'm looking at you Legends of Chima and Duplo!
    Oldfan
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    ^^ That should be easily done. Let me see what I can do...