Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Better sorting algorithms?

herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 55
I collect a few sets from each theme, more or less, and obviously usually want the "best" sets. The current options each leave something to be desired:
  • user rating: for most sets in a theme there are not enough ratings to be statistically significant (perhaps something else could be done to encourage rating, e.g. not requiring a full review?)
  • number owned/wanted: the division between owned and wanted is often correlated with the price (it is easier to own cheaper sets), which makes it hard to compare across a theme
  • number of pieces: the flagship sets are often the best, but usually there are also some smaller sets which are also worth getting. e.g. Orthanc is great, but so is Gandalf Arrives

I think a simple but effective measure would be (owned + wanted): i.e. the number of people who have ever wanted the set :smile: 

You could also imagine some slightly more complex operations, for example (owned + wanted) / price, which might have some relationship to the "value" of a set.

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited May 2015
    What I would like to see is the ability to exclude themes when going through the "Discounts at Amazon.com" page. Currently, it's possible to select a theme of interest, but I haven't figured out how to quickly exclude themes. I'm looking at you Legends of Chima and Duplo!
    Oldfan
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,464
    ^^ That should be easily done. Let me see what I can do...