Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO at SDCC 2015

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,341
    It's important to note that "lego sdcc action comics superman" is much more specific (to try and  sift out unrelated items such as 2011/2013 Superman and other SDCC comics) then the other two searches. Thus, there are probably a reasonable amount more than 51 available on eBay. :)
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    I'm only seeing the Sam Wilson minifig consistently selling around $140.00.

Where are you getting your figures?  (Sales figures.)

edited July 2015
    SumoLego said:
    I'm only seeing the Sam Wilson minifig consistently selling around $140.00.

Where are you getting your figures?  (Sales figures.)

That's fair.... I was predicting a bit more into the future for that one. I didn't do a good job of clarifying the reasoning behind those numbers.

My figures for Sam Wilson were more based on some of the lower end prices that I've seen available (and that have actually stuck around for awhile before selling), as well as very roughly the prices I got mine for.
    SumoLego
    Thanks for saying something though, because to remain consistent with how I prices the other SDCC items, Sam Wilson should be adjusted to $130-$140... Not $115.
    SumoLego
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    @samiam391, I know I paid $150 US +postage on my Sam Cap, but that was over a week ago, while the Throne of Ultron was just a couple of days ago ($100 US +postage).
    xiahna
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    Excellent analysis, someone else said it the minifigs value thread needs resurrecting. The eBay UK prices generally are higher, mine came from people on us site. Who I convinced to ship over
    SumoLego
    With the Dagobah set, I was hoping to pick up a Celebration Tatooine set at the same time if I did go for it. As I'm on limited funds until I get my tax done, I'm now hoping I'll find a seller with both much like I did for four of the exclusive Microfighter sets (ended up paying approx $165 US per set).
    xiahna
    Yea it's a lot easier to buy off one person
    edited July 2015
    @Geddes, it was with those sets, it was an awesome buy. Managed to get #COMCON019, #COMCON024, #COMCON032 & #CELEBVI, which worked out to approximately $180 US per set with shipping. It was just a little concerning when our dollar dropped slightly around the time they were due to arrive, as our import limit before they start charging duties & taxes is $1,000 AU. Fortunately, they apparently take the exchange rate based on the date it shipped if the date is marked on the parcel.
    xiahna
  • ScarraScarra LondonMember Posts: 138
    Yesterday I mangaged to get a Sam Wilson for $140 inc p&p to UK.
    Thoughts on what I paid.
    Hopefully it gets to me in one piece, my first Lego sdcc item ever.

• MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    ^ For $140 including postage that's a pretty decent price I'd say
    @Scarra $140 US? If so, you did good, mine was $150 + postage of $25, although, I jumped in a bit earlier, didn't want to miss the boat on Sam Cap...
    xiahna
  • DarthMorlDarthMorl Member Posts: 335
    is it a nervous wait for the postage from the U.S. to the UK or is it just me worrying about getting dents in the packaging ????
    I managed to get Sam Arsenal and the Mask (not that I wanted it) for $270 so I did ok. Not as cheap as some but I'm happy with my first ever SDCC purchase
    I managed to get my guy to drop the mask.... Thank god and lower the price
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,160
    I might have to pass on Superman unfortunately. I do want the set, but from a strict value perspective, the Ninjago temple and Red Five are much better values on my current want list, and I need to get some of my debt paid down (moving expenses and student loans).
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    edited July 2015
    Arsenal doesn't interest me. Sam Cap would be cool to have because I like both characters BUT I stopped buying comic books a couple of years ago so I have no idea what's going on anymore. If a Sam Cap fell in my lap, I'd probably buy it but not for the current price.

I already bricklinked myself a Superman set. That was a fun little project.

Hmm... Just realized that I only buy Star Wars comic books but no Star Wars Lego and I buy Lego Super Heroes but no super hero comic books. Weird.
    VorpalRyu
    Sdcc Captain America arrived today, but bubble on plastic crushed/dented.
    fig and card fine. I'm a little annoyed.
    what to do? Can I get a replacement clamshell from anywhere?

I'm not sure you can get replacements but someone mentioned earlier in the thread the idea of getting the Bionicle mask as a way of getting another clam shell for a relatively cheap prices (resell the mask and dented shell i guess). Only problem is there is no guarantee that the mask one wouldn't get dented in transit too.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    Scarra said:

Did the shipper make a reasonable effort to pack the bubble carefully. For example if they shipped it in a padded envelope instead of a rigid box with padding to save on shipping I would request partial refund. A mint clamshell, in my estimation, is worth $10-15 (based on the Sdcc Bionicle market). If not for the sdcc Bionicle the clamshell would be more valuable due to supple and demand. If anyone can find a replacement, I would be in the market for 5-10 myself!
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I'm really tempted to try and buy a bionicle mask for the clam shell, but I wouldnt know what to do with the mask and cardboard. Too exclusive to just throw away, but not valuable enough to sell. 
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    yys4u said:
    I'm really tempted to try and buy a bionicle mask for the clam shell, but I wouldnt know what to do with the mask and cardboard. Too exclusive to just throw away, but not valuable enough to sell. 
    Put it in the damaged clam shell you'll be replacing or sell it on eBay without packaging. Someone will have it.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    Smart idea Joel!  That's the problem w/ the SDCC figures, there are soo many w/ damaged bubbles.  And that's at the show!  They wouldn't trade them out for better cases, so they're kinda stingy about that.  

I inquired to Lego about cases last year, and they said they only make them for the exclusives, so it's not possible to get a replacement.

Just got off the phone with Lego customer service, no way to get a replacement case.
    i think I baffled the young lady at the other end.
    SumoLego
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    We should make an effort to find out the company that made the clamshell (if it wasn't Lego) and do a mass order.
  • Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    As someone who got one of each fig, including the Bionicle mask, I didn't get a single one that was mint. All but 1 were straight from the box.  
    Last thing we want to do increase the value of that god awful mask
    Mandalorian_BuilderMojoestSumoLego
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Drmnez said:
    We should make an effort to find out the company that made the clamshell (if it wasn't Lego) and do a mass order.
    Not sure I am fond of that idea, one more step closer to fakes getting better.
    madforLEGO
    vwong19 said:
    Scarra said:

Did the shipper make a reasonable effort to pack the bubble carefully. For example if they shipped it in a padded envelope instead of a rigid box with padding to save on shipping I would request partial refund. A mint clamshell, in my estimation, is worth $10-15 (based on the Sdcc Bionicle market). If not for the sdcc Bionicle the clamshell would be more valuable due to supple and demand. If anyone can find a replacement, I would be in the market for 5-10 myself!
    Received one yesterday sent in an envelope. Little to no padding. Minifigure is fine, but the clam shell is completely crushed and dented. I will be opening a case and requesting a large partial refund or my full money back. There's no excuse for shipping an item poorly. If your seller also failed to take the necessary precautions when shipping the item, I recommend you also open a case. 

yys4u said:
    I've already purchased a few Bionicle mask exclusives for that exact purpose. I don't have any use for the bionicle mask, but I want the mint clam shell. 

yys4u said:
    Put it in the damaged clam shell you'll be replacing or sell it on eBay without packaging. Someone will have it.
    Also the plan. I figure that I'll be able to make my full money back and have a return of a mint clam shell. To some people, the clam shell doesn't matter. Especially when the item is a $20 bionicle mask... at that price most people just want the mask.

As someone who got one of each fig, including the Bionicle mask, I didn't get a single one that was mint. All but 1 were straight from the box.  

I purchased a lot of minifigures and approximately 25% had mint clam shells, the rest were either severely creased or dented. 
  • ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    Yeah open a case, that's absurd.  Whomever sold that to you will probably know that the shell and card cary significant value along with the minifigure.  It may cost you more but you should be able to find one again and finagle spending a little more on it.  Its worth it.  No one should ever settle for receiving an exclusive and highly valued item that is damaged.
    Opened a case and had a return accepted within about an hour.

I think the seller realized his error in sending the item in such a negligent way. 

• joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    @samiam391 With your ability to get these cheaper than most, consider listing your damaged SDCC Minifigure on the marketplace at the cost to you rather than return it. Someone may be after one and not be overly fussed about the packaging. 

edited July 2015
    ^ I know I wouldn't have cared too much about the blister being A1 (as long as the minifig is fine), if it mean getting Sam Cap a bit cheaper, as mine is out of the packaging, much like the Collector & Jean.

On a related note, wishing my Throne of Ultron would just hurry up get here, wanting to build it. Exclusives get to jump the build queue...
    xiahna
    FWIW - people with zero feedback aren't horrible.  If you don't mind risking not getting something, it's worth a shot!  I won an Arsenal for just mid $80s and it was shipped and wrapped properly in a box.  

Sucks @samiam391 got the raw deal on that one. :(
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    edited July 2015
    If only all you were risking is not getting something. There are so many scammers out there its a concern that you might be giving them enough info to attempt some sort of identity theft as well if you buy and pay for an item on eBay that ends up being fraudulent.

That said, yes, people with zero feedback are not horrible. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    @pharmjod  sheesh, now it makes me want to think twice about zero feedbackers!  I had no idea they would attempt identity theft and stuff.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    While getting a package damaged is not cool and the seller should compensate, I have said it before and Ill say it again: Ask that the item be packaged well in a shipping box when or before buying. I think many sellers are errant in assuming that the package means nothing, this is especially true if these are just regular joes that do not collect much LEGO just got them to sell them to recoup their costs. However I think if you ask most times you will get the item in a box.
    I'm not saying that it is not their fault, but it will not replace the damaged package you have now.
    Word to the wise: always ask for such an item to be put into a shipping box. Not gauranteed to always protect it (if the shipper decides to play hacky sack with it) but you will have a better likelihood of receiving it in good condition.

pharmjod
    Just use some common sense with zero feedback or low feedback sellers. If it looks too good true, it probably is.
  • absolut3absolut3 Member Posts: 83
    What should i do if the shipper had adequate packing but still had a good big dent to the shell?  The picture shown on the listing did not show any dents.
    I would ask if the photo was a stock photo, or if it was the exact item that would be shipped out.

If he says it's the exact item, I would let him know about the damaged bubble, b/c it would be due to his packing.
    edited July 2015
    While getting a package damaged is not cool and the seller should compensate, I have said it before and Ill say it again: Ask that the item be packaged well in a shipping box when or before buying. I think many sellers are errant in assuming that the package means nothing, this is especially true if these are just regular joes that do not collect much LEGO just got them to sell them to recoup their costs. However I think if you ask most times you will get the item in a box.
    I'm not saying that it is not their fault, but it will not replace the damaged package you have now.
    Word to the wise: always ask for such an item to be put into a shipping box. Not gauranteed to always protect it (if the shipper decides to play hacky sack with it) but you will have a better likelihood of receiving it in good condition.

Unfortunately even when you ask specifically for a box and they respond to say it will be well packed it turns up in a jiffy bag :( . Earlier this week I bought http://brickset.com/sets/COMCON003-1/Batman-And-Joker-(SDCC-2008-exclusive) at a really good price, but a jiffy bag and a bit of bubble wrap hasn't been enough to protect it. Ok it doesn't look like much in the photo and it isn't too bad, but when this set is essentially just exclusive packaging, (the figures are available elsewhere), its a real shame it couldn't have just been in a box as on the listing it wasn't squashed here.

absolut3 said:
    What should i do if the shipper had adequate packing but still had a good big dent to the shell?  The picture shown on the listing did not show any dents.
    I'd still query it with the seller. If its not in the same condition as they were suggesting you've probably got grounds for a discount at least. It's like if you agreed to buy a car, but then found out the paint work was in much poorer condition. I guess the problem is that most people would understand if it were paint on a car, but a bit of plastic round a lego figure, many probably can't relate to so much.
    edited July 2015
    Man, that brings me back!  That was such a funny exclusive.  You had to go around and collect the Joker parts, and then when you completed it, you got the box and the batman fig.  Those were the days!

Sucks that yours got damaged. :(
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 172
    If anyone is interested in trading send me a message.  I have an extra Superman Set (Low Serial #006) and an Extra Arsenal both 2015 SDCC of course.  Pretty mint. Know how to pack =)

I need a Spiderman & Spiderwoman 2013 -  I know they are going for crazy dollars now, so I would be willing to possibly throw in some cash.  Otherwise, I do have possibly an extra Green Lantern, or Superman.

Don't want to sell, only trade.

I also have a bunch of assorted Harry Potter stuff, not SDCC, just old minifigs, instructions books, parts and stuff if that is of interest to anyone (don't do HP).
    I still can't believe the 2013 skyrocketed like they have.  I know there aren't that many, but sheesh.
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 205
    edited July 2015

Mojoest said:

Unfortunately even when you ask specifically for a box and they respond to say it will be well packed it turns up in a jiffy bag :( . Earlier this week I bought http://brickset.com/sets/COMCON003-1/Batman-And-Joker-(SDCC-2008-exclusive) at a really good price, but a jiffy bag and a bit of bubble wrap hasn't been enough to protect it. Ok it doesn't look like much in the photo and it isn't too bad, but when this set is essentially just exclusive packaging, (the figures are available elsewhere), its a real shame it couldn't have just been in a box as on the listing it wasn't squashed here.

I have had two sellers ship me sets in their orginal Lego boxes, one being a 7666 and the other 10188. The 7666 arrived with a hole in it, luckily all the parts where intact. The 10188 arrived but the box was pretty much destroyed. Idiots....idiots everywhere.
  • ARo2891ARo2891 MAMember Posts: 114
    I actually target low feedback sellers because their auctions always finish much lower than the items actual value and I have yet to buy something low quality from one of them.  A lot of them tend to even list buy it nows for well below market value and its a gamble but eBay protects the buyer above all else so if something were to ever go wrong they would have my back.
    Rsa33
    I've never understood why anyone would not ship in a box on anything other than a minifigue or poly bag or loose pieces. I did that 13 years ago as a new seller and still do today. I guess some sellers are either to greedy or foolish to know any better.
    madforLEGO
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    In fear of offending my stateside friends but in my experience, crap packaging seems a uniquely US thing. I've bought various bits and bobs from all over the globe but the three that come to mind were all US sellers;
    1. A 10129 sent from the U.S. to Australia wrapped in a single layer of brown paper.
    2. A 'mint' 77 back Klaatu sent in a Jiffy bag that by the time it arrived inAustralia was just a crippled bit of cardboard, a broken blister and a fig floating around in the bottom of the bag.
    3. A pre 1920 Janes 'All the worlds Aircraft' that was sent wrapped in brown paper.
    in every instance were talking about an item worth hundreds of dollars. the most frustrating thing about the Star Wars Fig and the Janes was that even at the time they were genuine collectors items in short supply. As others have echoed - ALWAYS get confirmation of packaging method prior to buying or bidding and assume you're dealing with a poorly trained monkey on the end of the transaction!
    mine should be turning up today.... fingers crossed!
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,245
    In fear of offending my stateside friends but in my experience, crap packaging seems a uniquely US thing. I've bought various bits and bobs from all over the globe but the three that come to mind were all US sellers;
    1. A 10129 sent from the U.S. to Australia wrapped in a single layer of brown paper.
    2. A 'mint' 77 back Klaatu sent in a Jiffy bag that by the time it arrived inAustralia was just a crippled bit of cardboard, a broken blister and a fig floating around in the bottom of the bag.
    3. A pre 1920 Janes 'All the worlds Aircraft' that was sent wrapped in brown paper.
    in every instance were talking about an item worth hundreds of dollars. the most frustrating thing about the Star Wars Fig and the Janes was that even at the time they were genuine collectors items in short supply. As others have echoed - ALWAYS get confirmation of packaging method prior to buying or bidding and assume you're dealing with a poorly trained monkey on the end of the transaction!
    I've found this too, and I think that it has to do with the way shipping costs work.  When I've shipped items from the US (I used to live on a border city so it was easy and cheaper than using Canada Post), shipping costs seem to vary greatly depending on what packaging was used, purely because well packaged boxes increase the size enough to increase the postage accordingly.  At least, that was before flat rate shipping boxes came around (it seemed to me, at least; I could get items shipped to the US as well and pick it up across the border, so I got a lot of flat rate shipping boxes.  Once this happened I found damaged collectible boxes went down greatly).

Still, I always made sure to state this upfront on my listings and charge the higher rate or offer to debox and send the box flat to cut down on shipping costs - though I'd not sold Lego sets prior to living in the UK (and to be honest, I've only done it like twice here).  People seemed to appreciate that.

I really like the way shipping works here in the UK, though.  Seems much more straightforward.