Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO at SDCC 2015

Comments

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    Mojoest said:
    ^ Good luck :smile: 
    I was outbid in the end, unfortunately, and not by much. I was pretty sure it was going to happen because the auction was ending a couple of hours after I went to bed and I figured someone would pip me at the post. Oh well, have a couple of others on the watch list!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,339

@Steve_J_OM

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161764105050 

Here's one for $175 just listed. Shipping costs are weird, but I'm sure you could figure that out with the seller after purchase.

Steve_J_OM
  • addemlitaddemlit CaliforniaMember Posts: 118
    vwong19 said:
    Is anyone else looking at buying the SDCC Bionicle mask simply for the clam shell?
    Depends on how much 
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    @samiam391 the listing has since been removed, but thanks for the heads up anyway. 
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    ^ I actually like your roof better. The studs on top of the real one kinda bug me.
  • DarthMorlDarthMorl Member Posts: 335
    Prices still seem to be holding high on Arsenal and Captain America....... To buy or not to buy.....
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Just do it.
    @ ColoradoBricks - What parts did you use for the roof?
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,663
    @Bosstone100 : 2 Curved Slope, part 88930, 2 Plate 2x4 and 1 Tile 2x4.
    I have the same set, but using 2 Tile 2x2 for roof for sale in the Marketplace section
    edited July 2015
    @coloradobricks - thanks. Except for the roof part you can't get, bricklink the set is pretty cheap. I think I spent less than $45 including shipping for just the parts. I may still pick up the Superman fig (I have a couple from sets) but the cheaper ones seem to be disappearing. 
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    Still waiting on a couple of orders to finish off the Action Comics set, but my Bricklinked Throne of Ultron is finished. A couple of parts swapped out for ones I already had, but don't think they're too noticeable.

SumoLegoColoradoBrickssamiam391chuckpGoldchainsAdeelZubair
    edited July 2015
    It seems in auctions:
    Roy Harper- $100
    Sam Wilson- $120

While prices continue to drop, it does seem we are starting to bottom out a bit. Total auctions for "LEGO sdcc" reached their peak point on Friday at 1,500 items. They are now on a slow drop, currently at 1,350.

I've been able to wrap up successful negotiations to acquire the minifigures at my original projections... How is everyone else doing so far on the minifigures (and sets)?

• Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,956
    Unlike last year when I bought that auction to get all the 2014 and 2013 exclusives, this year there is really nothing screaming buy me. I'll eventually Bricklink the Superman and Star Wars sets.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    Sam, what were your projected costs?
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    edited July 2015
    I got everything I wanted (all super heroes mf/sets) at the price i wanted to pay. Glad I waited (good advice Sam). I can breathe easy now that my SH mf collection is still complete, pending fall releases.
    samiam391
    Gooker1 said:
    Sam, what were your projected costs?
    I had the minifigures projected at $100, which would allow negotiations in the $75 or so range, which I have been successful with. 
    I am still struggling to buy them at the $100 mark but am sticking to my guns and won't pay over $200 plus shipping to the UK. Hopefully I will get them in the end. If any brickstters can help me out please PM me :) 
  • addemlitaddemlit CaliforniaMember Posts: 118
    Sam, what on earth do you do to convince people to lower it that much?!

I snagged Sam Wilson and Arsenal for $150 each. Teach me your bargaining skills!!
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    I'm surprised every year, now many people wont ship internationally
    @Geddes that's the problem I'm having at the moment! Even if I ask a seller in the U.S. to ship to a U.S. address they keep saying they can't because they have to ship to my PayPal address!!
    surley that can't be correct?? 
    ^ or of those that do, the vast majority do so via the Global Shipping Programme. I can understand why they do, (I do as my only method of shipping internationally on things i sell though eBay), as it means they can just ship domestically, to a hub for eBay to then forward on. However, as a buyer sourcing items from the US to the UK, using the GSP means you are paying import fees up front, (which is what 20%, plus I'm sure ebay add extra on to that, but I've never worked out the exact percentage). I prefer to buy outside the GSP, but does then limit the number of opportunities I have to buy to about 1 in 10 eBay listings.

I've seen listings go for cheaper than I have paid, as a result of me buying within a couple of days of the event, but those which I've seen which have been cheaper, (e.g. current prices) for the item themselves have in most cases then slapped on about $30+ through the GSP, so I'm still happy with the prices I have paid, (I had budgeted $400 for the pair shipped and have ended up paying significantly less :) ). 
    yea @Mojoest  the GSP completely wrecks some deals
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    ^ Actually, I think why some that don't ship internationally, won't ship to another address other than your Paypal address is to do with the eBay protections for sellers.
    xiahna
    Yea, its a lack of trust a lot of the time.
    pharmjod
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,119
    I'm terrified to ship things overseas. It's easy to be when you see all the problems that come up just shipping something one state away.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited July 2015
    God help me I'm the high bidder on an Action Comics set on eBay that's ending soon. I don't know whether I'm more nervous about being outbid or not outbid.
    This is why I use an auction sniper service.  It "hides" my actual bid until the very last seconds, and it removes the emotion from the auction (i.e. I can determine my highest price while quietly level-headed, and not in the heat of an auction ending where I might end up overpaying just to "beat that guy").
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,509
    Thanos75 said:
    I'm terrified to ship things overseas. It's easy to be when you see all the problems that come up just shipping something one state away.
    Yeah but that was all my fault :D
    Looks like ive stumbled across the 3 superhero sets for $100 each, the p&p sucks though.
    P&P?  
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,487
    wait, are you guys talking about spending 100 bucks for a single minifig? O_O
    Fauch said:
    wait, are you guys talking about spending 100 bucks for a single minifig? O_O
    Considering previous years, that's pretty good for us.
    Pitfall69SumoLegoGoldchainsbobabricks
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,343
    While I wouldn't spend that much on a mini figure myself I get why some people would. Collecting isn't just about quantity, having those rarer and more desirable pieces is a big draw too.
    Pitfall69bobabricks
    @Gooker1 $66, yea compared to my previous exclusives I'm happy. Just need superman
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    $100 USD is a bargain for an SDCC Exclusive Minifigure. 

@samiam391 , you need to resurrect the thread you started about Minifigures and their Secondary Market Value.
    SumoLegoVorpalRyu
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Family discount helped me score both Sam and Roy for $150 total. This has been a very cheap year comparatively.
    MojoestDrmnezPitfall69chuckpGoldchainsAdeelZubair
    Superman, i couldnt get lower than 200, another year of grumbling from my wallet! Must prepare for next year
    Celebrating getting the Throne of Ultron & Sam Wilson as Cap, right up until I go to Paypal & see the AU $ value... Exchange rates really do suck, but hey, I got the two important ones... YAY! :)
    johnhenzxiahna
    So finally got Arsenal, Sam Wilson the mask for $270. More than I wanted to pay but at least I have them!! Now to focus on the superman set...... Any advice on a "good" price for superman set??
    Basically target the new listing, or any at low bids. Tempt them with a buy it now offer.
    VorpalRyu
    @DarthMorl, monitor all the listings below you maximum spend, the Ultron I scored, I was outbid early (was at $20 & I set an autobid of $35), but in the last 12 hours it was still well below my target. As Rocket would say, I wanted more... @Geddes has a good idea there too, offer to buy outright can work, especially with the fact so bidders will overbid then refuse to purchase.
    xiahna
    Thanks guys...... So what do we consider a good price that's realistic? $125??
    @DarthMorl, I scored Ultron for $100 US +postage, I'd say you'd be looking a bit higher than that, as it is a vignette of a classic Superman cover. Hope for $125 US, but possibly be prepared for $150-175 US, is my call, @samiam391 would probably have a better idea on this...
    xiahna
    DarthMorl said:
    Thanks guys...... So what do we consider a good price that's realistic? $125??
    For the superman set?  You might be waiting for a really long time for that to get to 125.  This year's superman set is similar to last year's Batmobile, that it's iconic and highly desirable.  So I would say, hope for $150, but more realistically, if you see it at $175 snatch it.  

For the other two sets...$110 max. 
    VorpalRyu
    Brilliant advice...... Thanks guys
    And now that i look at a few things...$100 max for the other two sets. lol
    we all bow to @samiam391 superior knowledge here

Well thats me done for this years purchases. Looking back at it now I pulled the trigger too soon on the figures seeing the prices now. Ah well, they were still within budget and I feel like I've learnt a lot this year, (my first year really getting involved with eBay purchasing).

I feel like I've got some better prices on the sets though at $221 for the Action Comics set inc postage to the UK and $113 for Ultron's Throne inc UK postage, (ok so Ultron was helped along by finding a 20% off voucher from eBay. A nice little bonus following their muck of a 20% promotion a few weeks ago). 
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,877
    If anyone's interested, LEGO has posted video of their Marvel Super Heroes and Ninjago panels to their YouTube channel!
    edited July 2015
    Sounds like everyone is doing well so far this SDCC! Complete collections, but still thick wallets. What we all like to hear.

I think just about everything has about bottomed out for prices. There will be a little variation left over the next several weeks (going up and down)... but right now I personally feel comfortable picking up the items at the following prices:
    Arsenal- $95 (think this one could go down a little more yet)
    Sam Wilson- $115 (think this one could go down a little more yet)
    Ultron- $85-$90
    Dagobah- $80-$85
    Superman- $180
    Bionicle Mask- No one cares.

All of these prices are what I think the item will either bottom out at or what they are currently sitting at on eBay. However, you always have the ability to purchase them for cheaper then the above listed prices... I have and so can you. Opportunities are out there, and not that I want anymore competition... but you can find them ;)

There's a lot of questions about Superman... I think some predictions on that set might be a bit modest. I think we all knew it was going to be popular, but it was hard to predict just how popular it was going to be. It's clear now that it was incredibly popular among LEGO fans and comic fans. Classic case of supply/demand. I think a lot of people kept their copies after buying them at $40 while only some flipped them (in comparison to the other two sets):

Lets run the numbers on eBay...
    "lego sdcc action comics superman"- ~51 results
    "lego sdcc ultron"- ~172 results
    "lego sdcc dagobah"- ~128 results

I think that's a pretty good indication of the popularity of the set with those that originally purchased at $40 at SDCC. If they were truly trying to make money to pay off their expensive trip, then they would list the Superman to try and cash in on $200 ($160 profit). Instead, they are keeping it and listing the ultron and dagobah sets. It makes perfect sense that a limited edition iconic comic cover represented in a limited edition LEGO set would be incredibly attractive to LEGO fans and comic fans alike. 

I have bought a few of the set individually and have had to pay a reasonable amount to acquire them. I have also purchased a few large lots of SDCC items, and when broken down, have paid 50% of the current eBay going rate. If you are interested in more than just the Superman set, try to find someone that has paired it with another set/minifigure you're interested in (or wouldn't mind selling to offset the cost), and you can get it cheaper. If you're only interested in the Superman set, then I would say that if you can find it for $175-$180, take it without hesitation.

Listed yesterday: 3
    Ended yesterday: 12
    Listed today: 4
    Ending this evening: 8

While those numbers are only a snapshot (and it would be more accurate if you went farther back on your dates), they provide a pretty accurate look into the current supply/demand of the set. I don't think we'll always see that sharp of a decline, as some people will definitely notice their set is selling for $200 and then decide to list it. However, I do think that a steady decline is occurring, and that this decline probably won't level out until there are so few available on eBay that a price drop will not occur. 

This is all just my opinion, I could be wrong... and I'm definitely not anymore knowledgeable than any of you. Just another collector striving to keep his collection complete. Good luck out there everyone!
    Pitfall69VorpalRyuGoldchainsDarthMorlMojoestCoolguy5000hleonffuAdeelZubair