5571 Giant Truck - MISB - EBay - No Reserve

Comments

• EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    edited October 2011
    I want it! But I fear it will go far beyond my budget. :( Good Luck with it.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I think the shipping would break anyones budget - $191!!! Is that for real?!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The seller is located in the USA, you're in the UK I assume from your name, so that is part of it, but keep in mind in the description it says to ignore whatever shipping is listed since that is auto-calculated, he says it will be based on actual cost.

So if you know the actual cost, it isn't so bad.

I'd e-mail the seller first to get a cost, just to be sure.
  • brickmattbrickmatt USAMember Posts: 91
    edited October 2011
    Saw it a couple of hours ago, bookmarked this discussion to keep an eye on it, left the auction open in my browser window, just now hit the refresh button - from $23.50 to $102.50 in two hours (and 6 bids). Already out of my price range, considering it still has 9 days left.

He did say listing without a reserve was an experiment to encourage more bids and bidders. I think he'll be happy.
    ^ I reckon he'll do exceptionally well.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    He might even put his listings on here to encourage interest from the AFOL community! ;-)
    No, don't be silly. Who would do such a thing! :P
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    He mentions in the auction that if this goes well, he'll put up more of his collection including a Monorail Transport Base (6991)...I wonder if it will be MISB as well. If so, I might be all over that!
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    $350 with over eight days to go.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    One of the greatest LEGO sets of all time. It dwarfed all sets LEGO had ever made when it was introduced in 1996 and held that title for 6 years.

Compared to the stratospheric values for some sets that have retired in just the past few years, at 15 years old this would be justified in trumping them all.

I would guess it fetches ~$700-$800
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 99
    For people that want this truck but don't want to spend so much money, I'll eventually put one up for auction that is not MISB. This one was put together myself and taken apart within a week and in pristine condition.

For the monorail, it is not MISB, but in mint condition. Again, I put it together and soon took it apart.

Both sets have been stored amongst its own pieces, so everything is original and there was no comingling of other pieces. You see, I have a thing for building but not displaying or playing :)
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    @asherkobin If it comes with its box and all associated manuals, then it still sounds good to me, considering how expensive a MISB would go for. The only "hedging" point for me would be if the stickers were applied or not. But that's just me. I'll be sure to check it out regardless once/if you put the monorail on eBay.
    Yes the stickers were applied and the set was set up in for full functionality. The motor ran for a total of no more than one hour. I have tested it and it performs just like new.
    Congrats, sold for US$610. Not bad, but I honestly expected it to sell for more.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    ^ I did to be honest - given the publicity it's had. :o)
    Yeah, not a sellers market at the moment. I'm happy for the completed sale, but I won't be rushing to sell my other stuff right now.