Iron Patriot Figure

AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
Just wondering if this is a genuine or fake Iron Patriot. I had a look online and it is extremely difficult to tell.

ip.jpg 30.7K

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,788
    Possibly. Where did you get it from, what is the print like, have you found Lego logos on it, do the colours match Lego colours?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    Pull off the head and see if the top of the neck stud has Lego on it.
    madforLEGOyys4u
  • AceCobra1AceCobra1 UKMember Posts: 565
    edited April 2015
    It is selling in a job lot figure and I am thinking of getting it - I asked the guy if it is genuine lego. It is ridiculous that these Chinese factories are copying the figures 1:1... I thought there were slight variations in most of the figures.
    Tell him to take the head off and take a picture.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 930
    What are the figures behind it? That might be a further clue as to if it's real.

If it's part of a bargain bundle then it's unlikely real - if YOU owned one, would you sell it bundled with a load of other stuff or would you list it individually?

Decool and Sheng Yuan are very close to original in colour and print so it's very hard to tell in a photo. Since you can't see any logos, from this photo the only way you might tell would be from the shoulders. Sheng Yuan are a bit broader than Lego's shoulders.
    andhe
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 658
    The leg pins can also be a dead giveaway. Ask for unassembled pictures. Usually you can tell either by printing or by mold differences.
    yys4u
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    Aren't the 'knockoff's' feet more 'rounded' than a regular LEGO figure? Or have the knockoff makers tried to remove that distinction (I cannot tell the feet in the pic provided). In any case, like @Pitfall69 says, have them check to see if 'LEGO' is on the torso with the head removed.
    Also ensure there are not stickers on the figure, should be printed.
    Lego legs are on the right. You can really tell the difference between the legs.
    TXLegoguyandhe
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    @Pitfall69, what is going on with those middle ones, are they meant to be glued in?
    xiahna
    The Chinese knockoffs don't have stickers. The leg pins are the giveaway, agreed, if the seller is prepared to look for you.
    I've attached a photo from the Internet that I found - the giveaway really is in the shoulder moulds if you don't have the opportunity to see the figure in the flesh.
    Would someone with a better eye for lego than me comment on iron patriot's shoulder joint?
    Some of the newer knock-offs are using legs similar to legos, similar to those on the right of pitfall's picture. They are not quite the same, but more similar than the ones with the thin supports.

The easiest thing to do is ask for photos unassembled, but also ask if they are genuine lego. If he says no, or refuses to answer, or says that he probably thinks so, then avoid them. Only buy them if he guarantees they are genuine.

VorpalRyu
  • aid_77aid_77 NewburyMember Posts: 183
    I would err on side of caution and assume pretty much all figs nowadays to be KO unless specified otherwise. One of the few giveaways is the head colour and printing still tends to not be as good as original, most of the other giveaways you can only see in hand
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^ I expect eBay to be full of knockoffs.  Seems risky to rely on the seller to vouch for the authenticity between the possibility of lies or ignorance.

I don't feel much better about bricklink, unless I know the seller has been around a long time and isn't located in an area known for KO.  Anyone else care to share their perspective?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    LuLego said:
    ...if the seller is prepared to look for you.
    If the seller is not prepared to do this kind of thing (in any scenario), walk away.
    Sethro3madforLEGO
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Right now I'm avoiding new figs and only get them sealed. Iron guys are some of the most cloned figs, I'd stay away unless the seller is trustworthy.
    nerick906
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    Sealed is the best option there. OR only buying from reputable sellers..especially sellers that have a lot of other actual LEGO figures being sold.
    madforLEGO
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 658
    ^That's a good point as well. If you can see this seller's other listings and there are any bootlegs whatsoever, that's a big red flag.
    Well the other stuff he is selling are all genuine - I guess I'll wait to see what the price is like. If it is cheap enough, I will take a gamble
  • crazycarlcrazycarl USAMember Posts: 392
    edited April 2015
    I bought mine double sealed!!!  Got the Lego Superheros game for ps3 and figure all factory sealed for $42 shipped from an amazon independent seller.  I have yet to play the game though.

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    LuLego said:
    The Chinese knockoffs don't have stickers. The leg pins are the giveaway, agreed, if the seller is prepared to look for you.
    I've attached a photo from the Internet that I found - the giveaway really is in the shoulder moulds if you don't have the opportunity to see the figure in the flesh.
    Would someone with a better eye for lego than me comment on iron patriot's shoulder joint?
    That is scary because all you have to do is replace the arms with real arms and you have a very authentic looking knockoff.

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291
    why would you replace the fake arms with real ones? that's like ruining the real minifig.
    edited April 2015
    No, because those dark blue arms are on 500+ other minifigures.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291
    oh right, I'm so used of each fig being made of unique parts, I forgot it's not the case yet for most arms.
    OK, so I won the auction - these are the other figures :)
    $_57.JPG 215.1K
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 470
    I fancy they are genuine and you've got a good deal.
    He sold a few lots all of which seemed to be genuine - well I don't think they are replicated by the Chinese factories anyway. Plus he mentioned that it was all genuine from his son's collection. Paid £27 posted so hopefully all good. Any heads where the guy with the grey mechanical leg is from? I have a few of them kicking about and cannot figure out where it comes from
    andhe
  • pookiepookie Member Posts: 155
    Monsters set 9464
    AceCobra1
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    Doctor Rodney Rathbone from the Monster Fighters sets #9464, #9466 & #9468.
    AceCobra1xiahna
    Thanks buddy
    There's a lex luthor there too which is a good sign that the seller was a gamer and got iron patriot in the same way. I rekon you got a good deal there.

Its been too long since I got an ebay bargain (although I once got a first appearance green goblin for 99p).
    AceCobra1
    LuLego said:
    There's a lex luthor there too which is a good sign that the seller was a gamer and got iron patriot in the same way. I rekon you got a good deal there.

Its been too long since I got an ebay bargain (although I once got a first appearance green goblin for 99p).
    I thought Lex Luthor was copied by a company before but the other figures on display and the others he had for sale (mini figure series) I have never seen been replicated so just too a chance. It isn't that expensive anyway
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    Posting that picture with all the figures in it in your first post sure would have saved a whole lot of fuss ;)
    Pitfall69Johnnyfinlandia
    samiam391 said:
    Posting that picture with all the figures in it in your first post sure would have saved a whole lot of fuss ;)
    I wanted to make sure I don't add to the competition or I wouldn't have got what I "assume" would be a bargain!  :p But it remains to be seen weather it is genuine. If not, the stuff at the back looks gen
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 708
    I don't want to be a bearer of bad tidings but I'm afraid that your Lex has the wrong head. It shouldn't be yellow for a start.
    andhe
    donutboy said:
    I don't want to be a bearer of bad tidings but I'm afraid that your Lex has the wrong head. It shouldn't be yellow for a start.
    Yeah, I actually have a lex already - I'll prob just buy the correct figure head off BL and sell off the extra one to recoup some cash
    Recoup some cents ;)
    AceCobra1bobabricks
    All good - item is genuine :)
    Any ideas how I can make the flash less "bright"? Is it white balance ? I am getting a lot of reflections with these pictures
    Don't use a flash.
    That iron patriot actually looks fake to me.
    ^ I think some of it is down to the flash. Woody also looks a little used around the edges.

The easiest thing to do is show them unbuilt.
    I was actually only kidding. I didn't really look at the photos.

I just wanted to give @AceCobra1 one last panic attack. ;)
    SolariousAceCobra1SumoLego
    samiam391 said:
    I was actually only kidding. I didn't really look at the photos.

I just wanted to give @AceCobra1 one last panic attack. ;)
    I'm not that noob man :open_mouth: I had a look at the studs to make sure it prints lego :smiley: