Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rare retail exclusives

CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 612
Hey guys
So I am puzzled by something. I get there being collector items (like SDCC goodies), but if something is pretty much available for retail how can it be so hard to get hold of in the aftermarket

I am trying to get my hands on a LOR057 (Bilbo Baggins Blue Coat). Granted these were only available at Target in the US. But that is still a helluva lot of stores and lots of Bluray disc sets. Where did they all go? They are almost impossible to buy now, and the one or two I have found are asking for a LOT of money.

Am I missing something? Or is this just what happens with rarer items?

R

Comments

• VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,248
    Ouch, that's pretty bad, still, not quite as bad as the 5002125 Electro polybag, was advertised at TRU for $3.99, now at $110.
    xiahna
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,147
    The demand is still there while the supply is not. Lego is a hot aftermarket item.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    edited April 2015
    It seems SDCC are common compared to this one right now. I guess it's due to the way it was released, not many collectors are interested in the dvd so they just get the fig on the aftermarket. Same goes for the sellers, not many stockpile on these; it's not easy to get rid of the dvd for a fair amount.
    VorpalRyu
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    ^ It's interesting to compare to #30168.  Both are an exclusive available from a single retailer in 2013.  Both came with a media purchase.  Both are tie-ins to a licensed them, holding some pertinence to the theme but not being central characters.  But the Iron Patriot has been sitting at $20 to $30 for seemingly forever.  

What are the differences?
    -Stocking the 30168 is a bit more feasible as there is a better market for reselling video games rather than DVD.  
    - Walmart has worldwide locations while Target was US only.  (Not sure if the promo was available overseas...)
    - There have been (different) individuals with surprisingly large stock of the Iron Patriot (25+) since shortly after the release.  This to me is the most telling as it suggests that there were some other means by which the item reached the aftermarket.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    Those don't really sell for $110, it's just that the ones that are available are $110. You just have to wait and watch for one to come up for sale. If you can't wait, buy the whole dvd for $70. 
    We have Target stores in Australia, but I'm not sure as to their exact relation to the US stores, ours are part of the Coles Group here. As for Iron Patriot, over here at least, only EB Games & other selected retailers had them as a pre-order bonus for X-Box 360 & PS3 copies of Marvel Super Heroes (we missed out, we got it on the WiiU), but they were so under supplied, that I know of at least five people who didn't receive one. When they protested this, the staff were quick to point out the fine print mentioned while stocks last for the Iron Patriot polybag. I grabbed mine off eBay, as I had all the other IM3 Lego products, just sucked that they didn't offer it for WiiU, I will be protesting if it happens again with the Lego Avengers video game.
    xiahna
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 612
    goshe7 said:
    - There have been (different) individuals with surprisingly large stock of the Iron Patriot (25+) since shortly after the release.  This to me is the most telling as it suggests that there were some other means by which the item reached the aftermarket.
    That is a good point. When I see these lots for sale of 15-30 of one rare-ish polybag I really do wonder who managed to nick a whole box from the factory or something similar. It makes me think that somewhere these things are dirt cheap and someone is making a ridiculous markup selling to idiot collectors like us.
    VorpalRyu
    I know that a few of the guys at one of the local EB Games stores, including the manager pocketed a few each, hell, the two guys I regularly talked to then offered one to at over half the cost of the game ($60 from one, $75 from the other). I honestly can't see it being an isolated incident, as I saw at least a few people on local FB selling groups offering them too, at least one them had EB Games listed under their current employment. Pissed me right off, especially with the fact that one of the guys who missed out had offered his pre-order bonus to me, he liked the games, but wasn't into actually collecting Lego anymore.
    xiahna