Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Visualising collection data

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
I'd like to add some graphs to http://brickset.com/mycollection/sets to make the data easier to digest.

Question is, what graphs would be useful, and scaleable for those with large collections?

Any statisticians in the house who could give their expert opinion?
Andor

Comments

• CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 584
    I am no statistician, but there is some really interesting stuff out there about how to display data in meaningful and useful ways. At work we bought a book just so the developers could read about this stuff and incorporate it. I will see if I can rustle up the name of it
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,479
    edited April 2015
    It would be nice if there was a good way to visually compare your collection against itself and not just against the total number of sets in a product line. For example, I have 80% of the Lord of the Rings line and 11% of the Star Wars line. But the number of Star Wars sets I have is much greater than the number of LotR sets. It might be too difficult to set up but perhaps it could visualize a percentage of each theme you own against the total number of sets you own? (edit) I guess that is already there in the % column. That data would be fun to look as a graph
    ShibAndor
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,211
    if that doesn't already exist, maybe information on inventory, with a list of all pieces you own, and ways to sort them by category, colors
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,334
    ^ An oft requested feature, but I've avoided doing it because the data we use, from LEGO.com customer services, is inaccurate, so any resultant total inventory would be, too.

^^

> I guess that is already there in the % column. 

I tried putting that in a pie chart but when you have sets from 50+ themes and maybe only one or two of each, perhaps 0.1% of your collection, it didn't really show anything meaningful.

A series of horizontal bars, one per theme, showing the % of each you own is certainly possible, though, as would simple vertical bar graphs showing number of sets by theme.
    ^It would probably be helpful to exclude any categories that are a 0 so the relevant data bars are close to one another as well.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Huw said:
    I tried putting that in a pie chart but when you have sets from 50+ themes and maybe only one or two of each, perhaps 0.1% of your collection, it didn't really show anything meaningful.
    Perhaps anything less than a certain threshold could be combined into an "Other" category.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    At 1000 different sets in my collection, I'd rather not visualise them!!!!!!
    edited April 2015
    I've put something together. It looks nice but I'm not sure how useful it is!

I'll let you be the judge of that.
    BumblepantsricecakeOldfanchuckpcanon03Andor
    I really like it, Thanks!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,211

how do you get the value of the sets? it seems different than the RRP.

also, which currency is it? my local currency or USD?

RRP and it should be your local currency, using exchange rates to calculate it from GBP, unless you're in the USA in which case USD is used.

It's done like that because we only have RRPs in GBP and USD for the majority of sets.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    How about:
    - distribution across product years
    - distribution across price tiers
    - distribution across tiers of piece counts (strong correlation to price)
    - distribution across tiers of "most owned" 
    - distribution across tiers of "most wanted" 
    VorpalRyu
    Great ideas -- certainly the first three are a possibility.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,157
    ^^ I really like the idea of the distrib/product years & distrib/piece counts, interesting to see if any noticeable trends occur in my data...
    xiahna
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    This new graph feature is great. Thank You kind sir.
    You're welcome...
    Andor