Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

DC Superhero Girls

hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 854
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/22/dc-superhero-girls-the-new-toys-clothes-tv-and-books-brand-from-mattel-lego-random-house-and-warners/

Interesting in concept.  Curious about the execution.  If this is simply sets organized around female superheroes I'm excited.  Would love to get Black Canary and others into the mix.  If it means "Friends" style superhero sets I am less excited.   Maybe okay so long as they don't innundate it with pink and purple.  
LostInTranslationgmonkey76GoldchainsGurooobluemodernkiki180703

Comments

• Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 998
    http://www.themarysue.com/dc-super-hero-girls-announced/

"DC Comics’ icons such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumble Bee, Poison Ivy, Katana and many more make their unprecedented teenaged introduction"

"The LEGO Group will also be key to building the DC Super Hero Girls franchise, leveraging their experience and success engaging girls in creative construction play to bolster this universe through an array of LEGO® building sets designed to inspire girls’ imaginations."
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,292
    My guess from the image shown that it will be "Friends" style sets. My daughters are excited about that idea.
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 193
    I want to be excited, but I'm sure you're right, it's going to be Friends-style; I'd love to think otherwise, but the way they've expanded Friends into Princesses and especially Elves, it doesn't seem like they're trying to scale it back and roll Friends fans over to regular minifig sets.  One can only pray this won't lead to future Lego incarnations of female DC characters being pigeonholed into this brand and omitted from minifig sets in the existing line.
    gmonkey76khmellymelbluemodernBumblepantsRonyartedwardklatu003
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,292
    Now that poses an interesting thought. So far Friends style figures have not overlapped with the regular Lego minifigures. With Supergirl and Batgirl as a big part of this it is pretty much guaranteed we will see minidolls. I too hope that this does not mean we will see less female DC minifigures.
    gmonkey76
  • richlrichl Member Posts: 241
    I think this is great news. I'm sure the minifigs will be Friends-style and the sets will have bright color schemes but from a 'market superheroes to girls' standpoint I couldn't be happier.
    dannyrww
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    Put me down for a pastel invisible jet with Wonder Woman Girl. 
    VorpalRyudannyrww
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,706
    This should be exciting. Of course, I'd be happier for more in-house girl-oriented themes (rather than licensed ones), but it's still fantastic to see the category expand.

Good concept, will have to see the sets before I know if the execution measures up. But hey, never know until you try!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,008
    The only thing about these being made as minidolls that would annoy me would be if we start only getting female DC Superheroes as minidolls and no minifigures, that would only escalate the gender divide that Lego have that the media love to jump on any time there's a complaint.
    Bumblepants
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,220
    I agree with @Shib and @MissKittyFantastico - I am pretty excited by the thought of Super Hero minidolls.  Moreso than the Friends or Elves minidolls by FAR.  I just also want them as minifigs, and hope that we still get them in regular Lego DC lines.

(Although I'd prefer Marvel minidolls because Jessica Drew is one of my fave characters ever, but as she's not in any of the movies I doubt I'd get her anyway.  So roll on DC, roll on). 
    johnhenz
  • GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    I'm ok with superhero minidolls as long as they can make the facial expressions better. Now every minidoll has the same cute little smile. They are so boring!

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,490
    This is interesting news. Definitely a good idea to have more female characters but with this being a new WB/DC overarching theme I guess it won't fit in with the current DC Superheroes branding. The way the article talks about Lego's appeal to girls these days definitely means minidolls. Like Shib, I just hope this doesn't mean even fewer female minifigs in sets.
    edited April 2015
    Like Shib, I just hope this doesn't mean even fewer female minifigs in sets.
    Or worse, just getting damsel in distress minifigures in the "boy sets", e.g Mary Jane in #76016 - I'm not against getting the civilian characters but when the only female characters are used in that way it annoys me...give me a good flashpoint style Freedom Fighter Louis Lane over a Man of Steel damsel in distress Louis Lane any day of the week.
    bluemodern
    ^ Or even a Lois Lane ;-)
    khmellymelbluemodernGothamConstructionCoOmastar
    Yeah her too :-P
    bluemodernGothamConstructionCoLostInTranslation
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    I have no interest in the characters.

But I really hope they are minifig form, without special licensed badges on them. They'd make ideal parts for fleshie ancient Roman and Greek civilians in togas.
    @CCC - the image in the first link is fan art, if you look at the bottom of the article it says "Non-representative image by Adam Hughes."

The official announcement artwork is far more cartoony
    The characters in the official image are practically minidolls already.
    ^ and ^^ That's put my ideas to an end.

Those images really remind me of the types of characters in the phonics books my kids read - Tiny Titans and DC Super Pets.
    Teen Titans GO! Had a similar style and was massively popular, I think they've essentially taken that style but adapted the characters to a slightly more doll like look for easy merch potential. With both DC and Marvel coming under fire for not doing enough for young girl fans this does seem a logical solution...the problem is that if DC go too "girly" with it there'll be backlash about it being sexist.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,434
    This is a really good idea that potentially is really bad for some girls.

These minidolls are going to reinforce the already over marketed, American size 0 stereotype that all girls are "supposed to be".

In minifig form, TLG mostly do not promote that stereotype too much.  However TLG cannot escape the source material and marketing images.

• TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    hmm... hard to think this as a huge succees. Next thing will most likely be a SW girls line with princess Leia sets etc.
    VorpalRyu
    edited April 2015
    Just tried to read the thread about this on eurobricks...I forgot how rampant the minidoll rage is with some sections of the LEGO world, read about 5 comments that were just minidoll bashing and gave up. I don't mind people not liking minidolls, but when the conversation is just "I hate minidolls" repeated in various ways it seems pointless...the DC Duplo line didn't get criticised in this way, sometimes AFOLs need to accept they aren't the target market.
    BumblepantsGothamConstructionConicoyagomezthedoctor46MODVLEXGoldchainsbluemodernLostInTranslation
    TarDomo said:
    hmm... hard to think this as a huge succees. Next thing will most likely be a SW girls line with princess Leia sets etc.
    I can see this working well, you have to remember this isn't specifically a LEGO marketing push, it's much wider. Think of this as being like the Disney Princess branding but Super Heroes rather than Princesses.

Personally if I had a daughter and I was looking at toys for her, LEGO or otherwise I'd rather get her something that featured a strong character who takes the lead in their own story than a princess who essentially waits around to get rescued - I know that Disney story dynamics are changing to more positive roles but all of the characters in the Princess line are flawed in some way.

Also, as a comic book fan, I have seen an outcry in recent years as to the way that;
    1. Female characters are presented in comics in terms of story and artwork
    2. How merchandise for a lot of big comic book films, and characters in general, have either skipped female characters or presented the female options very badly
    3. A greater movement to gender balance across all media platforms.

I think this line could do well, not necessarily as a great LEGO theme, but as a big move to balance the scales across formats - it's not going to fix the problems overnight, but it starts to address the misbalance. 
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,135
    I will reserve judgment until I see the minidolls, but I am interested in collecting them. I do hope that the equivalent characters are represented as minifigures. Likewise I would hope some male superheroes are made into minidolls.
    vwong19 said:
    Likewise I would hope some male superheroes are made into minidolls.
    I wonder if that will happen. It looks like this is aimed squarely at girls, and I doubt there will be males in it. It looks a lot like the Princess line, where Disney remove all the male leads such as Aladdin.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,465
    edited April 2015
    It will be interesting to see if any male characters make their way into the line or not. And if so, would it be like just one of the Friends friends rounding out the world a bit or an actual DC character of some sort.
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 120
    Fantastic News! My daughter likes playing with Lego, but is not interested in superheroes. This could turn-the-tide and be something we enjoy building together : )
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    I do have concern that they then remove female superheroes from other DC sets not targeted at girls.  I also am not a big fan of more gender separation, since I tend to support the idea of more inclusion. This is not Lego marketing, though. This is DC making this decision. My other concern, which Shib expressed is if they go too girly and less action figure, there could be backlash. No princessfied superheroes. :-)

Beyond that point, I am thrilled and I have one kiddo that will be ecstatic. 
    We have found it hard to find merchandise that includes female superheroes, or else find a product will include one token character.  We actually had that experience again this weekend, so anything that brings us more female superheroes I am generally thrilled with IF they do it right. 

Considering how huge superheros are right now, though, this seems like a smart marketing move by DC, especially in light of the huge Disney/Marvel machine.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,349
    I think this could be a great 'sub-line' to the friends line. It should add more minidoll varitiy to the range of figures available, I can see girls going nuts over these (my daughter will flip when she reads about this tomorrow morning).

As a fan of the comic genre anything that broadens the appeal is good, but moreover anything that encourages children to engage with literature (and comics are literature, whatever my wife says) and stimulates imagination is great. I can see this being a massive success, not just in terms of Lego, but the entire idea, I also suspect boys will be just as happy to read the books and play with the Lego toys as girls, after all, to a child a superhero is a superhero.
    Shib
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,377
    I'd love more female super heroes, but in minifig form. I already have customs for Psylocke, Scarlett Witch, Warbird (Ms. Marvel), Sue Richards, etc. Probably won't touch these.
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 154
    Personally I don't see why the male characters are being excluded. Yes girl power Yaay, but female characters can hold their own along side their male counter parts without a problem. I'd be more excited about this if it didn't scream of segregation, and just like the duplo Disney ranges guys roles are either non exostant or a back ground figure at best. I won't be getting these for this reason.
    VorpalRyu
  • hmnicollhmnicoll Member Posts: 65
    Wouldn't it just be so much better if they did sets in the normal super heroes range with normal minifigures ,just more female characters in some particular sets. This way both boys and girls would still buy them instead of making a whole gender specific theme again.
    xiahna
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,381
    So will we get Batgirl in every set instead of Batman? I know these toys are going to be marketed for girls, but I remember the backlash there was when the minidolls had "breasts" I wonder what will happen with the outfits/characters so the are kid/female friendly?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    Shib said:
    the DC Duplo line didn't get criticised in this way, sometimes AFOLs need to accept they aren't the target market.
    Why would the Duplo figures be criticized? They're in the same style as all of the other Duplo figures.
    tamamahm said:
    This is not Lego marketing, though. This is DC making this decision.
    If LEGO makes sets with female DC Super Heroes mindolls, it's their decision. They may be influenced to do so but it's ultimately their decision.
    gmonkey76
    @binaryeye - that was my point, TLG have a set demographic and figures that are the standard for sets in that demographic, the minidolls for the girl targeted sets is the standard as much as duplo having happy smily inocent looking chunky figures - i thinkthe Duplo Joker is sownright cute.
     just because we MIGHT get some minidolls in a DC subtheme, isnt going to stop superhero minifigures. If we do start getting just female minidolls and just male minifigures in the DC line then it'll be fair to start petitioning the change.
    dougts
  • chuxtoyboxchuxtoybox Member Posts: 711
    edited April 2015
    These sets will be sought after by adult male comic book fans more than little girls. And these will probably be the first series of minidolls that go up considerably in price in the secondary market. Instead of worrying about LEGO making fewer female hero minifigs, which they won't, I'd like to see male incarnations of minidolls like Batman and Superman, etc.

So many have hatred for the minidoll lines.  If they're helping keep LEGO in business, doesn't that make them a good thing?
    LostInTranslationShibnicoyagomezdougtskoozMODVLEXKevin_Hyatt
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    edited April 2015
    It'd be interesting to see more males in mini-doll form. And the Princess line didn't omit ALL of the boys. They have Flynn Rider and Prince Eric at the very least. I think Prince Charming in the Cinderella set too.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    Hmmm. I read the  Warner Bros. Press release.
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/22/wb-and-dc-entertainment-in-partnership-with-mattel-launch-dc-super-hero-girls

The entire article is worth a read or even a skim. I think this part is fairly key, though.

"Developed for girls aged 6-12, DC Super Hero Girls centers on the female Super Heroes and Super-Villains of the DC Comics universe during their formative years—prior to discovering their full super power potential. Featuring a completely new artistic style and aesthetic, DC Comics’ icons such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumble Bee, Poison Ivy, Katana and many more make their unprecedented teenaged introduction. Each character has her own storyline that explores what teen life is like as a Super Hero, including discovering her unique abilities, nurturing her remarkable powers and mastering the fundamentals of being a hero.  "

Basically, they are aiming for the younger age group. Think your Barbie, Princess, Lego Friends targeted age. 

The entire theme is 'girls prior to discovering the full superpowers', so these super girls are the young teens coming into their own. 
    My translation, is this will absolutely be minidolls, and that I'm seeing this line as more 'friends meet superhero'. I suspect your average teen girl, who goes on the occasional adventure as she learns to harness her superpowers. I'm honestly hoping, though, it is not this... that they are actually strong characters and not utterly teen-i-fied.  The good part is that the above  does say focusing on super-villians as well, so hopefully they are part of this line-up, because I can not imagine another minidoll line without an adversary. Several us would be very annoyed over here if the take an action line and remove the action/adversaries in such a Lego set.

DC is really aiming for a fully-fledged out marketing plan that starts this fall, and continues expansion next year. We already know about the Lego connection, but they will also be highly connected with Mattel.  There is going to be digital content, digital publishing, TV specials, toys, apparel, books, etc. 
    Basically, I am envisioning Monster High, but Super Hero style. Mattel did monsters, so yes, I can see them doing a super hero line. 

I am very mixed after reading the release. It has the potentially to be highly gendered. Over here, we tend to like the 'mixed' shows, such as Young Justice and Teen Titans Go.... while  this is aiming very much towards almost a younger demographic.  (Let us get those princess kids into superheros).  In this regards, I am disappointed, but if they create a show of strong female characters, then it may be fine. I actually think after reading this, DC is going to have a huge hit on their hands, and I would not be surprised to see Marvel/Disney trying to figure out how to attract a similar market.

My older kid is good with the description from the WB press release.  It is more the mentality of "More superheros?? Bring it." The artwork was also appealing. 

^^ that's why I used the word "leads". The males are bit parts in the Princess range.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,706
    hmnicoll said:
    Wouldn't it just be so much better if they did sets in the normal super heroes range with normal minifigures ,just more female characters in some particular sets. This way both boys and girls would still buy them instead of making a whole gender specific theme again.
    Not necessarily. There are a lot of girls who don't like the traditional minifigure as much as boys do, or in some cases, at all. And girls who don't like the traditional minifigure aren't just going to "settle" for it because it's the only thing available — there are other toys out there that, while perhaps not as creative as LEGO, aren't ashamed to take those girls' aesthetic preferences seriously.

On that note, I don't really think there's too much concern about female characters disappearing from the existing Super Heroes range just because this new range shows up. People raised the same concern about Friends (what if it leads the LEGO City gender ratios to get even worse?) and it didn't end up happening.

Girl characters don't exist in LEGO Super Heroes or LEGO City strictly for the benefit of girls, any more than boy characters exist in LEGO Friends strictly for the benefit of boys. Boys and girls alike recognize that people of the opposite sex exist, and the themes aimed at them seek to reflect that, even if sometimes not as prominently as they should.

On another note, if this theme does take off, hope some of the characters show up in LEGO Dimensions! After all, DC Comics is a Warner Bros. property...
    dougts
  • GreendudeGreendude Member Posts: 58
    Why just girl superheroes? I understand girls will identify with female role models etc but surely girls will want superman and batman etc...
    xiahna
  • GreendudeGreendude Member Posts: 58
    As for sexism...it's not illegal to be a girl ya know. Girls like girly things. It's also not illegal to be a straight guy. I want my comics to have sexy supergirls and catwomen. So i'll buy these minidolls for my g/f but i'm sure i'll also get a kick out of them too.
    xiahna
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 647
    Seems pretty cool to me! I wish they didn't have to change comic characters to make them "girl-appropriate," but I'm sure there's a lot of girls out there who would like to have super heroes that they can identify with, rather than the overwhelming amount of male characters that generally get overused. As for me, I'm excited for any new super hero characters even if they are minidolls.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 848
    For city, Can't you just take female hair and put it on a male minifig and "Tada" its a female?
    gmonkey76xiahna
  • NinjaGaidenNinjaGaiden Member Posts: 6
    Shib said:
    @CCC - the image in the first link is fan art, if you look at the bottom of the article it says "Non-representative image by Adam Hughes."

The official announcement artwork is far more cartoony
    LOL... I'd hardly classify Adam Hughes' work as "fan art". 
    ^Comment was based without checking names
  • DelatronDelatron Member Posts: 2
    Curious, if it's featuring the characters as teenagers before they discover their full powers, does that mean we will get Harleen Quinzel training to become a doctor of psychiatry?
    ^Since DC has a multiverse set up, I'd imagine none of these characters have exactly the origin story we're used to.
    tamamahmAanchir
  • DelatronDelatron Member Posts: 2
    Sorry Shib, my sarcasm obviously wasn't apparent! I expect this will be totally non-comics canon like Teen Titans GO!
    I see, yeah when your comment is read with a sarcastic tone our two comments say exactly the same thing.