Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Mixels -Help me understand them

Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,378
Hi,

So I keep seeing these Mixels. I guess I'm just not getting the point. Can someone explain them to me?

Also, do most people just buy them as parts packs? They seem expensive for that but maybe they have some rarer parts albeit in some bright, maybe less useful colors.

Am I missing out on something here?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Kids like wacky monsters, especially if you can mix-and-match them - that's certainly one reason. I guess some people consider them to be cute (I can understand that). There's a creative element in there as well - making cute little monsters.

The part packs reason is certainly a strong factor, especially for bits like eyes and joints that are useful for MOCing mechs or animals.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    BTW, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. When I first saw them, I thought they were kinda cute, but was put off by the prices. Then I saw the potential as part packs, but likewise, price still seemed high.

Nonetheless, there's no denying their popularity.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,154
    The line is connected to a tv show, I haven't seen it here yet. I've been grabbing them for some of translucent pieces & other extras that some of the creatures are made from. They tend to have the 1×1 cheese wedges in high numbers, particularly translucent ones & the Glowkies have glow in the dark ones...
    xiahna
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,707
    edited April 2015
    I'm not quite getting the concern about prices being high... In the U.S., they generally offer 50 to 70 pieces for $5, which seems plenty fair to me, especially considering how many of those parts are rare or useful. Maybe the price is unusually high in other countries? And by "unusually high" I mean higher than the price per piece you'd expect from other sets — I recognize that pretty much ALL sets are cheaper in the United States than anywhere else.

But anyway, besides their value as parts packs, you can think of them sort of like a cross between Muppets and Pokémon. Cute, goofy, expressive little creatures with an assortment of unifying "types" or "themes", such as the fire-themed Infernites, the ice-themed Frosticons, and the slime-themed Glorp Corp (some of the themes are more abstract, like the tongue-themed Lixers, space-themed Orbitons, and tooth-themed Fang Gang).

Their popularity with AFOLs has a lot to do with the main play pattern for the sets, which is to combine multiple Mixels together in wacky and creative ways. The versatile parts allow a lot of creative freedom for different combinations, as can be seen in the various Mixels combination contests here on Brickset. The general cuteness of characters like Hoogi (my favorite Mixel to date) doesn't hurt, either!
    VorpalRyu said:
    The line is connected to a tv show, I haven't seen it here yet. I've been grabbing them for some of translucent pieces & other extras that some of the creatures are made from. They tend to have the 1×1 cheese wedges in high numbers, particularly translucent ones & the Glowkies have glow in the dark ones...
    It's not really a TV show in the traditional sense... Mixels shorts are fairly short and I believe they usually air during commercial breaks for other shows (though sometimes they air a collection of shorts as a show of its own). The show is mostly mindless slapstick, nothing too highbrow or sophisticated. The story is that the Mixels are wacky creatures that love to mix together in creative ways to solve problems. Their enemies, the Nixels, hate fun and creativity, and plot to steal the Cubits (colorful square talismans) that allow the Mixels to mix together.

The LEGO YouTube channel has a playlist of Mixels episodes that I believe should be viewable in any country, though I could be wrong about that. There are also several Mixels stop-motion shorts on the LEGO YouTube channel that are pretty cute.

Also, if it gives you any insight, here's a gallery of concept models from the Mixels development process (back when it was under the more generic working title "LEGO Monsters").
    pharmjodbluemodern
    My issue is the four I grabbed to pilfer for MOCs, my wife wanted me to assemble first... Now, I have a new item on my list of Lego tasks......design her a couple of Mixels, she fell in love with Footi & wants something like it for her collection...  :(
    xiahna
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,769
    I was a bit doubtful of these as well. But when the Brickset competition came along I bought myself one tribe. I had so much fun building them (they are quick, but I found them quite fun) and then trying to design my own that I bought another tribe, and another one after that. Then, in Legoland Windsor I managed to buy all the mixels for series 3 as well. I think they are really fun to try out new techniques, to try and make something cool, scary, funny. I was planning on mixing up the parts with my other MOC-material but I am actually keeping my mixels together in a box with their spare parts even and if I got half an hour to kill or am watching a film for the umpteenth time with my son I get my box out and really 'play' with it.

My favourite things for MOC-ing are normally LOTR-stuff or modulars, so its quite fun to have a change.
    I find it especially challenging to try and make a real-life animal. So my advice would be, try a tribe (it will only be 15 euro/9 pounds/15 dollars I think) and see what you think. Like said before, if it's not your cup of tea, you can still MOC with the parts.

T_Lars
    Good to know the price difference for Australia isn't that big a gap for these guys... Their RRP is $5.99 which is not too bad.
    xiahna
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,434
    So far I have not paid more than £2.20 for any mixel, so the ppp has always been good for me.
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    I love the mixels and was introduced to them by the Brickset competition too.  Fantastic set of bricks and parts just to have a quick build with and always come up with something different. So far I have bought the lot just for play value
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    Somebody posted a link to a query of price per piece in another thread a while ago and I think Mixels were quite high on that list even at RRP.
    MODVLEX
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    Fun, wacky monsters. What is there to not love? :-)
    T_LarsAanchir
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I'd say that they look better in the flesh than in the pictures. Once you've built a few of them you start to appreciate the ...simple complexity... if that makes any sence.
    My local Lego store usually has a few left on clearance once the new tribes come out, so I've gotten a few for a couple of bucks cheaper than normal. Try a few out, they make nice little desk trinkets or as stated already, just throw the pieces in your parts bins if its not your thing. There's not much to loose. 
    bluemodern
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,131
    They're interesting little sets, although none of the tribes have appealed to me too much until the photos of the Klinkers showed up today. That may be the first tribe I actually get.

Plus at $5 a piece they're a pretty good value when it comes to Lego sets nowadays. 
  • mr.pigglesmr.piggles Snow FortMember Posts: 326
    Mixels actually were the catalyst to coming out of my Dark Ages. I found them on special at a store as prizes for my students, built one myself, and then bought the whole series... I saved them up, built one a day after each stressful day I had and then started looking around at whatever other sets I missed in the off-years. I can see not liking them, but all things have different fans. For what they are, they're great. They're little, they're fun, they're cute as heck, and they're interesting. 
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    FYI, the cheese wedges are not GITD for the glowkies. We get them since $4 for a cmf vs $4-5 for a mixel.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,010
    edited April 2015
    The best way to understand the Mixels is to build one. For such small builds they are surprisingly satisfying, obviously they are all different but there are some nice build techniques used. As others have said they are actually pretty good value, even at RRP - they probably look quite small from pics and packaging but the actual parts contained are a good mix of highly useful parts.
    From a kids perspective they are fun, wacky little characters with a cartoon attached to them (I've not seen it so no idea what it's like)
    From an adult perspective, great parts packs, fun interesting little builds, great little creative catalysts if you stuck in a building rut.
    mr.pigglesGothamConstructionCo
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    I will also add, I have been finding that sometimes the small sets are more satisfying than large sets. The lego friends animal series was huge with my kid. They were small, but highly satisfying. I have loved the seasonal sets this year. They have been my favorite in a while. Mixels fall in a similar category. They are fun and a satisfying small build. 
    mr.piggles
  • xiahnaxiahna Member Posts: 154
    Heh my husband thought I was going to go gaga over my pop figures, but I seriously want some of these cuties. Only problem is that I'm going to have to try and con my way into getting two of some sets so I can build a couple of the max sets, and still have a couple of my faves next to them.
    VorpalRyu
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    As a dad, it's nice to have a $5 option to buy for my son, and a build that you can do almost anywhere. 
    scrumperMorkManAanchir
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 852
    As a dad, it's nice to have a $5 option to buy for my son, and a build that you can do almost anywhere. 

totally agree with you @brickupdate
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 203
    I assembled one of these for my son a few days a go and if I'm honest I wouldn't mind a few of my own now. 
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,378
    I did buy a few for my son. They don't stay together long but that's okay.

For these, I might start to feel bad buying them for myself and not giving him some too although, just about four years old, he probably wouldn't know the difference.

I wonder if anyone still some Series 1 or 2 sets lying around. Not sure I should get started with this.

:: face palm ::
    T_Lars
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 203
    Ok, so I may have bought one for myself yesterday. I don't feel the need to complete these as I do for the CMF though...
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 704
    edited April 2015
    So, I don't understand the comments about Mixels being expensive, so I checked some numbers.  Keep in mind that Mixels are also a licensed set, whereas, I haven't compared to any licensed sets below...

Series 3 Mixels average out at 64 pieces per set, which equates to 4.672p / 7.797c / 6.234c (£/$/€) - as per Mesmo:

#41524-1 - Mesmo
    pieces: 64
    price: £3.99
    ppp: 4.672p

So, using 64 parts for £2.99 or 4.672ppp, if I look at the cheapest and most expensive of 2015's City sets, I see:

#60065-1 - ATV Patrol
    pieces: 592
    price: £4.99
    ppp: 8.458p

#60076-1 - Demolition Site
    pieces: 776
    price: £59.99
    ppp: 7.731p

A similar story is show with the Creator line:

#31027-1 - Blue Racer
    pieces: 67
    price: £4.99
    ppp: 7.448p

#31036-1 - Toy & Grocery Shop
    pieces: 466
    price: £34.99
    ppp: 7.509p

How about the Classic theme in 2015?

#10692-1 - Creative Bricks
    pieces: 221
    price: £12.99
    ppp: 5.878p

#10698-1 - Large Creative Box
    pieces: 790
    price: £34.99
    ppp: 4.429p

So it's not until you're buying bulk bricks that you get prices cheaper than a Mixel.  Add to that, many people here are buying Mixels in 3for2 sales.  I know my local department store (Bentall's, Kingston-upon-Thames) often sells them at 3for2.

So they seem like great value to me.
    pharmjod
    edited April 2015
    ^ Sorry, typo, Mesmo is definitely £2.99 in UK, not £3.99 :-/
  • yodalegoyodalego Member Posts: 6
    Tesco today had series 3 Mixels for £1.50 each, i picked up a few as i have never bothered with them before but at that price they look like fun and some interesting pieces! i got Memo, Magnifo, Torts, Scorpi and Hoogi! 
    snowhitie
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 540
    As far as the "value" conversation goes for me with Mixels, it's hard to do a straight up comparison with sets that come with minifigs.  Even if they are plain old City minifigs.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,707
    edited April 2015
    @omnium Very nice analysis. However, I should add that Mixels is not a licensed theme in the traditional sense. It was co-developed with Cartoon Network, but the characters are created by LEGO designers and the trademark for the brand itself is jointly owned by LEGO and Cartoon Network. It is not just a separately-owned property that LEGO has a license to make toys for like Star Wars, Super Heroes, or Ferrari.

I'm often the first person to point out the ridiculousness when people compare Mixels to Galidor or vice-versa (they have entirely different design languages as well as entirely different construction styles), but as far as ownership is concerned, it is more like Galidor or The LEGO Movie than it is like other licenses.
    MODVLEX
    edited April 2015
    @Aanchir Thanks, it would have been even nicer if I hadn't listed ATV Pateol as 592 pieces instead of 59 ;-) I hadn't realised the theme was co-owned, so thanks for that. I'm glad I stuck with comparing non-licensed themes. @natro220 I guess you can say that at the bottom end of the prices range, you pay £2 more for a City set with 2 minifigs and less pieces, which seems favourable when compared to the cheapest Creator set, where you pay more, get no minifigs and about the same piece count!!