Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    It was better than that, $131 including sales tax on Black Friday, 25% off, plus the 10% off, plus sales tax... and I'm not even counting VIP points. :)
    Yeah, but how long did they last at that price? Best Buy was also giving away 50" plasmas for $300 on BF. You can't use BF pricing as a comparison. I do know that they were going for $150 towards the end of the run so that would be more accurate.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I bought over 20 at that price, but you are correct, that was good for that weekend only.

I bought 5 more when they cam back early this year at full price, happy to pay it too. :)

I have less than 20 left, slowly selling them over time.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    Nice.
    Nice.
    I thought so... :)

However, keep in mind that I also picked up a bunch of PQ and Atlantis sets after Christmas, and those aren't selling, so you have to take the ying with the yang... :)

What the right hand givith, the left hand takith away...
    Ok ok we got it!! ;)
    BTW, was the thread about Lord of the Rings get split or can we still discuss it here?
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    If GE does, by some feat of happenstance, retire at or near the same time as FB, I would expect it to perform quite well almost immediately, simply because I don't get the impression that people are hording this model just yet.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    ^ yes. I suspect little inventory compared to the fb. Also if you look at all the modulars minus the fb, ge is scheduled to go now.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    edited June 2012
    I went to my Lego store today with the kids to pick up a few things. The Motorized Excavator is gone. It was on sale a few months ago and they told me it was going and today confirmed it. So, I am guessing that will be a good one to purchase as it is still available online. Also, it was interesting to note that the Monsters series is outselling the LOTR series at my store. They had to move the LOTR sets up to the front as they are not selling as fast as they thought they would. They were really shocked by how fast Monsters were flying off the shelves.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I've heard that LotR sales have been lackluster overall. Not a surprise at all given the adult nature of the fanbase in general, as many of us have been saying all along.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    Interesting. I thought the double VIP points on Helms Deep "plus" was a good incentive to pick it up, but now I am thinking that if I wait a little longer there might be a better deal to be had. C'mon TRU BOGO.
    It is funny because sometimes I live in a bubble that thinks like an AFOL and forgets that the main audience is kids. My kids are 16 and 10. They were thrilled that LOTR was coming out. The workers in the store were hyped up about the sets too. It will be interesting to follow the series and see how they do.
    My nephew is 6 and he wants the LOTR sets even though he hasn't seen the movies.
  • black_towrblack_towr MinnesotaMember Posts: 165
    I was at my Lego store and every kid in there was buying a Monster Fighters set. So with kids buying these sets and opening them when it comes time for this line to be EOL'd there should be very few MISB sets floating around. Unless of course AFOL's start to stockpile sets.
  • black_towrblack_towr MinnesotaMember Posts: 165
    I love the LOTR line but i don't see a real investment opportunity if only adults are buying these.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    The problem with LOTR is there is no current movie tie in or anything. Kids 12 and under literally have no idea what it is. It's not going to take off until The Hobbit comes out. Then it will pick up.

In my case, my 6 year old is interested in it, but wants me to tell him the whole story about all the sets and the figs. No way, I'm not ruining it, he gets to read that when he's older. And no way he's seeing the original movies anytime soon (maybe The Hobbit, we'll see how that goes), so we're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

He's way more interested in Monster Fighters, for what it's worth...
    My 10 year old has read the books as did his 11 year old friend. They can't wait for "The Hobbit". So, I do think some kids under 12 know the series. I know my kids liked playing with my husbands old Star Wars figures before they even saw the movies. It will be fun to see where this series goes.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    About the Motorized Excavator a few posts back. It's still at [email protected] Has anyone else seen it marked down in their LEGO store? I find that interesting. If it has been on discount in LEGO stores, but not on [email protected] (yet), I guess it is to make room for inventory in stores, which is not an issue at [email protected]? I don't see any other reason why it would be on sale only in stores. Who thinks it will be on discount soon at [email protected]?
    edited June 2012
    I was at my Lego store and every kid in there was buying a Monster Fighters set. So with kids buying these sets and opening them when it comes time for this line to be EOL'd there should be very few MISB sets floating around. Unless of course AFOL's start to stockpile sets.
    Hmm, I went to two Lego stores over the weekend while on vacation and I didn't see much interest in MF. Ninjago and The Avengers were popular with kids and I did see adults buying the LOTR sets.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    edited June 2012
    I honestly think people are giving the generational thing too much credit as to the reason LoTR is not selling well. The monster sets are just plainly put BETTER sets. They are more affordable, have more unique minifigs, have cool vehicles, have a unifying play theme, and even an incredibly well designed castle. TLG dropped the ball on the LoTR sets, and I know I'm not the only die hard LoTR fan who feels this way.
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    I love the LOTR trilogy, and don't have a bad word to say about the films, but hate the sets. Well, hate is a strong word, but I really dislike them. I don't even like the minifigs. I don't think any of them really 'capture' LOTR in all it's glory, and the transition into Lego hasn't been done well. The only set that appeals is the Mines of Moria, and that's because I think the Cave Troll is really done. However, I think Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas, Frodo, Sam...none of them are a good Lego representation of the movies. Gimli is the only figure I think that's done well.

Of course that's personal opinion, and I'm sure children won't see it that way. However, as an AFOL, I just don't see the appeal. Monster Fighters on the other hand...the aesthetics, the figures, the backstories, the sets...the price, it's all so much better than LOTR. I think 'dropped the ball' isn't too far off the mark, if I'm honest.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I've heard that LotR sales have been lackluster overall. Not a surprise at all given the adult nature of the fanbase in general, as many of us have been saying all along.
    It's summer time - aka slow sales. The new movie hasn't come out yet; the last movie came out years ago. LOTR will pick up steam in the fall.
    I'm not a huge fan of the LOTR sets but the longer I think about it the more I think they did the best they could in most respects. My biggest gripes are the reliance of stickers on the Moria set and the slightly higher than normal themed pricing.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,772
    I think the other thing about the LOTR sets are that if you want to have the minifigs, you want them all. The point of the first film is that it is "The Fellowship". You then realise how much it will cost to get them all, and think what is the point of getting one set. I know the same is partly true of Star Wars, but at least there you can fly Luke around in his X-wing independent of the others and it is stand alone. How may people want to play the Mines of Moria without the other sets?
    Here's what will likely happen with LOTR:
    1) It bombs. Fans of other licenses -- especially Star Wars, which TLG has refined over a decade -- expected 2012 Star Wars out of the gate, and instead we got 2002 Star Wars. No one buys it. TLG drops it.
    2) TLG plays their cards right and improves it. Next wave or two gets better and gets sales boost from the Hobbit movies and greater visibility. Everyone looks back and cringes over not getting Helms Deep when they had the chance.

I haven't figured out yet which way I want to go with this one.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited June 2012
    ^My feeling is that it will go way of Potter, not SW. Same inherent problems: lack of vehicles, low on alternate costumes for characters, scenes are too big to represent in small sets. The one thing it has over Potter is the possibility for army building. Something even the Superheros theme is lacking (since nobody actually wants to build an army of the alien soldiers).
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    I have a feeling this will go the way of POTC. One or two good sets while the rest tank. It may get a small bump once the video game comes out...I would expect one more wave and then done for this line. No doubt the sets will command a good price with AFOLs once retired tho. My son and I personally prefer the Monster Fighters line in every way. That zombie set is completely awesome and the castle set is so well done. Easily our fave non-licensed theme in a long, long time.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    edited June 2012
    Here's what will likely happen with LOTR:
    1) It bombs. Fans of other licenses -- especially Star Wars, which TLG has refined over a decade -- expected 2012 Star Wars out of the gate, and instead we got 2002 Star Wars. No one buys it. TLG drops it.
    2) TLG plays their cards right and improves it. Next wave or two gets better and gets sales boost from the Hobbit movies and greater visibility. Everyone looks back and cringes over not getting Helms Deep when they had the chance.

I haven't figured out yet which way I want to go with this one.
    I just don't think children are interested in LOTR right now. And I don't think The Hobbit will help. It's SW, Super Heroes, Ninjago and everything else is in the distant fog.

I almost feel like Lego didn't really want to do this series by the production values I see in them. It's almost as if they said, "Fine, fine, you want LOTR, here you go. Stop bothering us about it, AFOLs!"
    edited June 2012
    Regardless of sales or popularity or anything else, LOTR sets will run through the end of 2013, into 2014 at a minimum, just based on the movie timing. That is a guarantee. So, they'll be around awhile and aren't going anywhere.

Lego has their product roadmap planned out years in advance, and LOTR is a big part of that.
    I lived a strange childhood. My friend and i used to get "Famous Monsters" and "Fangoria" magazines when they came out. We were 7-8 years old. We used to get dropped off at the movies to watch Godzilla double features. I even saw Friday the 13th the week it came out. I really like the Monsters theme, but i may only get the Castle.

Which brings me to LOTR. The theme may not fit the normal age range, but I do believe kids will have interest because it is basically a replacement for the Castle Theme. Like I said before my 6 year old nephew is excited about the sets and loves the Troll. He has a great imagination and he doesn't need a story to create a world of adventure...just like his Uncle did many years ago. Of course, all of this is speculation on everyones part about LOTR.
    I would add that it IS summer here in the States and I'm sure sales are slow because of it.
    ^ yes -- LOTR is basically a licensed castle replacement for a few years. It will sell no worse, and presumably will sell much better. And worst case will get some kids interested in reading some books.
    Long-term, I think LOTR carries the same values you're seeing now from the Indiana Jones line.

Temple of Doom ($90 retail) = Mines of Moria ($80 retail). Temple is fetching a consistent $200. It was around for 1 year; and prices steadily grew from there.
    That's what I figured will happen. There are no "stories" for all the Castle and Pirate non licensed themes, yet the sets do very well. Isn't Lego all about imagination?
    edited June 2012
    Just thinking out loud. How did LEGO sets sell before all of the licensing? I don't know, I was not into LEGOS then. But, it seems that movie, comic, or cartoon ties are the standard now. Indiana Jones, Spongebob, Bionicle, SW, POTC, HP, Super Heroes. It has me wondering how in the world they sold any LEGOS before they associated them with a 'production'. It is almost like that is required now. I guess City, Technic, and Friends are exceptions. Friends does well because it is focused toward girls, but do people buy LEGOS just to get LEGOS now days? It seems to be rare. Not saying there is anything wrong with licensing. It sure seems to work. Tie LEGOS to a movie, the movie does well, the LEGOS sell well.
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    Just thinking out loud. How did LEGO sets sell before all of the licensing? I don't know, I was not into LEGOS then. But, it seems that movie, comic, or cartoon ties are the standard now. Indiana Jones, Spongebob, Bionicle, SW, POTC, HP, Super Heroes. It has me wondering how in the world they sold any LEGOS before they associated them with a 'production'. It is almost like that is required now. I guess City, Technic, and Friends are exceptions. Friends does well because it is focused toward girls, but do people buy LEGOS just to get LEGOS now days? It seems to be rare. Not saying there is anything wrong with licensing. It sure seems to work. Tie LEGOS to a movie, the movie does well, the LEGOS sell well.
    Didn't Star Wars basically save TLG? That might be a primitive way of putting it, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they were in financial trouble until they got the SW licence. So it's a given that licencing is a massive part of Lego now.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    Peoples attention span seems quite short these days. If it's not linked to a current movie, the licensed sets seem to wane in popularity - except SW. I was parting out some avenger sets and the minifigs were doing very well for a few weeks after Avengers release. You can hardly give them away now. Slightly different kettle of fish with EOL sets, maybe.
    I think there's a bigger issue with minifigs. Overall, minifig value is going down. There are sooooooo many minifigs now, it's crazy.

I'm speaking to the "part" as a whole. Certainly specific popular ones sell well. But the figs are becoming THE focal point, which strays from the core of what Lego is about - creative building with bricks and plates.

And each minifig practically has it's own unique head, torso and legs design, which is a whole other problem to sort out...

The Avenger sets were reasonably priced, so I imagine everyone grabbed them already. Plus, children aren't buying minifigures on the secondary market, so that is why you can't give away the figures. Star Wars usually have many high priced sets and I'm sure alot of people don't have the money to buy every release, so selling those minifigures would probably be better.

My brother n law were talking about exclusive minifigures in certain sets last night. It's obvious that Lego wants you to buy every set so you can have a complete collection of characters. I don't know if Lego got alot of negative feedback from consumers, but if I were Lego, would include more exclusive minifigures with the higher priced sets. That way people are forced to buy the expensive sets. It would really help out sellers on the secondary market. Can you imagine how much more UCS Falcon would be if it came with exclusive minifigures. As far as I know, the minifigures could be had in other sets.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,154
    It IS possible that LEGO is also trying to get an older kid to buy LEGO with LoTR as well.Because like others said, if LoTR sells as well as Castle and Kingdom lines But also gathers older LEGO fans then it still is a win, maybe not Monster Hunters or Ninjago, but still.
    Interesting, so that may be one of the reasons there are so many themes now. LEGO knows that licensing helps a lot. They know the interest in most movies, etc. is short lived. So, they ride the wave of the movie, cartoon, etc for as long as they can. Then, ride the wave of the next movie, etc. If they are doing that they need to have as many as possible, because of the short lived interest.
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    Ya.. Minifig prices fall rapidly a few weeks after a set comes out. The promo Hulk can now be had for 13 bucks or so, it was around 25 a few weeks ago. Iron Man and Black Widow were selling for about 25, now they are falling rapidly.
    Yeah, I didn't invest much in the Hulk promo. I only got 2. TC-14 I figured will do alot better so I grabbed 6.
    As far as the Avengers minifigures I imagine the Iron Man in the Quinjet set will do very well in the secondary market.
    Before licensing? We used imagination. That, and played with our Transformers and Star Wars and GI Joe action figures when we didn't want to use our imaginations :).
    Yes, I fear that kids today don't use their imaginations like we used to do back when we were kids. Sticks for guns. Pine Cones for hand grenades and of course "dirt bombs". Now kids just sit in front of their video game consoles. It's a wonder that one of the largest sector of the unemployed is young people graduating from college. "What do I do now?"
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,772
    And we built spaceships for our non-lego figures.
    ^ Just an aside... old people (of which I'm slowly becoming one) tend to wish for the "good ol' days", while forgetting that in many respects, they really weren't so good.

Yes, Lego now "allows" you to not have much imagination today with all the boxed sets and themes, but it doesn't "require it". My 6 year old son loves building Star Wars and Ninjago, but then he wants to rip them up and build his own stuff.

I'm very torn on this, because I know what the value of those sets will be in a few years, even used, but I'm meeting it halfway by picking out sets that are "his" and he can "part out" and keep, and which sets we'll keep together to sell for the future.

The overall quality and number of parts Lego makes today blows the 80's out of the water, I wouldn't trade today's stuff for back then for anything... except maybe the baseplates, their loss is a shame, but otherwise it is all good.
    edited June 2012
    ^^^ Yup, I know all about falling prices. As they say - strike while the iron is hot. I got my start on eBay 10+ years ago by buying MechWarrior figures by the case, busting the kits, and selling singles. When a set first came out and before people had certain Mechs the prices would be in the clouds, then in 2 weeks prices would be a lot, lot less. So, I always listed the figures as soon as I could. Course, those figures don't have collectible value, like LEGOS, so they are pretty worthless now. And, to think some of them sold for $50-75 each in their prime.
    ^ Ahh, I remember MechWarrior, loved the games on the PC back in the 90s... miss those, what happened to that franchise?