Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 130
    I feel like many people might have slept on the corner garage and might have a solid post-retirement value bump.

I know I was expecting Assembly Square to go since it's the oldest. Luckily got the Garage as a birthday gift and am only missing the police station and bookshop of the currently stocked modulars
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,044
    So who fixed it for you? Got a connection on the inside? ;-)
    Unfortunately no connections inside or out.  Was able to catch it early enough to fix. 
    KungFuKenny
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 141
    Looks like #10264 is sold out at LEGO and other places. I hope no one was waiting to get the Corner Garage
    It's available at Walmart.com and my local Lego store. This set and the Police Station are the only modulars I don't have. Yes, all the way back to the Cafe Corner and Market Street. Both of which I sold when their prices hit the roof. Personally I consider the Green Grocer the first "real" modular. Just my opinion, no need for argument :)

So yes I am concerned about the Corner Garage and will be buying it this week.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,287
    Looks like #10264 is sold out at LEGO and other places. I hope no one was waiting to get the Corner Garage
    It's available at Walmart.com and my local Lego store. This set and the Police Station are the only modulars I don't have. Yes, all the way back to the Cafe Corner and Market Street. Both of which I sold when their prices hit the roof. Personally I consider the Green Grocer the first "real" modular. Just my opinion, no need for argument :)

Walmart does not have it (at least the US website.. not sure if there is a Canada website Im not aware of). I know 3rd party sellers on Walmart are selling it, but that's not the same as Walmart selling it. Also not seeing it at local LEGO stores, so if people see it and want it, buy it, but I would not buy from 3rd party sellers on sites.
    rd1899Astrobricksgmonkey76OnebricktoomanyMarshallmario
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 1,044
    edited November 2021
    For the Northern VA area, the website shows it is available locally in all the stores.  Maybe they are saving it for the black friday sale like they did with the brick bank and dectective office.
    Onebricktoomanygmonkey76
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 322

Walmart does not have it (at least the US website.. not sure if there is a Canada website Im not aware of). I know 3rd party sellers on Walmart are selling it, but that's not the same as Walmart selling it. Also not seeing it at local LEGO stores, so if people see it and want it, buy it, but I would not buy from 3rd party sellers on sites.
    Found this...
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 322
    Thoughts?
    Weird, when searching for the Corner garage at Walmart.com I do not see the 200 USD option. But when I check the other options, I see it... strange
    Onebricktoomany
    Sorry that is when I see the other options in the sets listing for the third party, the 199.99 option for Walmart appears. Thanks. I just hope it arrives in a shipping box and not with a label slapped on the side
    Onebricktoomany
    Ok, it appears Amazon also has it back in stock right now as well (frustration free packaging though)
    Onebricktoomany
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,096
    Ok, it appears Amazon also has it back in stock right now as well (frustration free packaging though)
    Frustration free packaging could very well be fine. Or not at all. Everything I've gotten with that option was the lego set inside of the lego shipping box inside of an Amazon shipping box. I know others have had very different experiences though.
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,071
    My corner garage that I purchased with "frustration free packaging".

BumblepantsFizyxgmonkey76ReesesPiecesMarshallmario
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,120
    @FollowsClosely well clearly nothing to be frustrated by! 5 stars
    FollowsCloselyFizyxbricktuarygmonkey76KungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,267
    My corner garage that I purchased with "frustration free packaging".

From that picture it looks like “frustration free packaging” means the Amazon warehouse employee took out his frustrations on the box…
    FizyxautolycusReesesPieces
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,524
    I always choose 'Elephant Ass-Print Packaging', when available.
    gmonkey76Bumblepantspxchris560HeliportAstrobricksMarshallmario
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,859
    SumoLego said:
    I always choose 'Elephant Ass-Print Packaging', when available.
    That way they can slide it under your door, thus protecting it from porch pirates ;-)
    560HeliportSumoLego
  • PDelahantyPDelahanty Northern CaliforniaMember Posts: 128
    ^^ Just click "Add gift options" or "This order contains a gift" and it will come in a shipping box.
    That's a brilliant idea.  Thanks for the tip!  I've been lucky with "frustration free" so far...but I always worry.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 347
    ^^ Just click "Add gift options" or "This order contains a gift" and it will come in a shipping box.
    Thank you for this advice, I did this and it came packed in cardboard box which was placed/shipped in a larger box. The set looks perfect.
    Thanks!!
    FollowsClosely
  • jcb193jcb193 Member Posts: 158
    ^ @autolycus it's a bit or a lot of an abuse of TLGs generosity depending on your perspective ... but remember they do free 90 day returns.... you could always buy one now, keep safe... and if black friday yealds something better you can either return the first (or 2nd as the 1st if any condition issues)  or ask CS to make it good without returning  i.e. "you realise I could just buy now, and send the previous one back". I myself wouldn't do this as it ties up stock for others etc.. but it's an option. Just if do watch out for the rules on not refunding paypal and giving a gift card instead etc if you return to the store or something like that.
    The stores around me have started implmenting a 10% restocking fee for sets over $500.  Might trickle down.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,859
    jcb193 said:
    ^ @autolycus it's a bit or a lot of an abuse of TLGs generosity depending on your perspective ... but remember they do free 90 day returns.... you could always buy one now, keep safe... and if black friday yealds something better you can either return the first (or 2nd as the 1st if any condition issues)  or ask CS to make it good without returning  i.e. "you realise I could just buy now, and send the previous one back". I myself wouldn't do this as it ties up stock for others etc.. but it's an option. Just if do watch out for the rules on not refunding paypal and giving a gift card instead etc if you return to the store or something like that.
    The stores around me have started implmenting a 10% restocking fee for sets over $500.  Might trickle down.
    Where is “around me”?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,120
    I was just thinking how there are so many 18+ sets, big sets in general, we might start to see many of them fall through the cracks and become sleeper hits in the aftermarket. When we had 10-12 a year it was easy to keep track of them all but now I see stuff like the recent space shuttle or the Mickey and Minnie statues and I had forgotten they even existed.

On the other hand, there are so many options and so few who can/want every last set now it may be harder to convince people to pay aftermarket prices.
    OnebricktoomanyKungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 582
    jcb193 said:
    Where is “around me”?
    I saw that printed on a receipt from a purchase I made in-store earlier this year, so I assumed it's a corporate decision across all stores.
    Astrobricks
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,747
    I've been seeing that on the receipt ever since I bought the MilF. I think on that one they stamped it on there with a special stamper.  
    560HeliportKungFuKennyAstrobricks
    edited November 2021
    gmonkey76 said:
    I've been seeing that on the receipt ever since I bought the MilF. I think on that one they stamped it on there with a special stamper.  
    Yeah, I bought Falcon this week and the employee warned me that it was not returnable (implying don't come back for VIP weekend and see if MilF is in stock and then return the original purchase).

Another store in the area (NJ) said 10% restocking fee on any return over $500.
    Astrobricksgmonkey76
    As if they're going to have problems selling any product to another buyer?  Weird.
    Marshallmario
    gmonkey76 said:
    My purchase wasn't anywhere near the total of that set and I still got restocking fee message automatically printed at the bottom.  So that's why I thought it's a company-wide policy now.
    Astrobricksgmonkey76
    SumoLego said:
    As if they're going to have problems selling any product to another buyer?  Weird.

Im guessing part of it is to try to dissuade scammers returning a 'tampered with' box.. How much though that would work, Im not sure. It may also have to do with inventory numbers, or if an item is discontinued and falls out of the system but someone returns a set within the return policy?
    SumoLego said:

Im guessing part of it is to try to dissuade scammers returning a 'tampered with' box.. How much though that would work, Im not sure. It may also have to do with inventory numbers, or if an item is discontinued and falls out of the system but someone returns a set within the return policy?
    I was thinking it has a lot to do with inventorying especially since the boxes for any set $500+ is massive.  Even if  they were still selling it and had a spot for it on the shelf, it'd be a pain to hang onto it in their store rooms.  And if they no longer sell it at their store, I imagine there's some unpleasant logistics involved in shipping it back to the Lego warehouse.
    FizyxmadforLEGO
    edited November 2021
    I think it's mostly people trying to game the system.  For instance, buy a MilF as insurance in case they run out VIP weekend, then check VIP weekend if they have it, if they do buy it with all the extras, and then return the original.

Also, messes with their inventory and sell through.  
    KungFuKennygmonkey76Marshallmario
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,010

On the other hand, there are so many options and so few who can/want every last set now it may be harder to convince people to pay aftermarket prices.
    I think that will be an issue in future. Some subjects won't be done again but others, especially things like Mickey Mouse memorabilia, will be done again in future with their strong links with Disney. 
    I've missed the last 100 pages or so.  What was the consensus on the long term spec value of the Chinese Festival sets?  Too niche?  
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,267
    jcb193 said:
    I've missed the last 100 pages or so.  What was the consensus on the long term spec value of the Chinese Festival sets?  Too niche?  
    If you check sold listings for #80105 on eBay it looks like the last couple of months have seen it go for upwards of $230-$260 (around 2X retail).  Bricklink has a few listed in the $230 range, although some of those have damaged boxes.  I personally feel like these sets will be in demand in the future, driven by combination of excellent design and the desire to collect the entire series.  I have a few extras of these in my collection but haven’t let go of them for sale because I like the design so much. I think I’m still entertaining the idea of creating a massive Chinese New Year display but that hasn’t happened yet!
    Astrobricksgmonkey76madforLEGOMr_Cross
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 954
    jcb193 said:
    If you check sold listings for #80105 on eBay it looks like the last couple of months have seen it go for upwards of $230-$260 (around 2X retail).  Bricklink has a few listed in the $230 range, although some of those have damaged boxes.  I personally feel like these sets will be in demand in the future, driven by combination of excellent design and the desire to collect the entire series.  I have a few extras of these in my collection but haven’t let go of them for sale because I like the design so much. I think I’m still entertaining the idea of creating a massive Chinese New Year display but that hasn’t happened yet!
    It's also potentially worth mentioning that the zodiac-related parts of those sets (like the costumed figs and some of the printed parts) are on that twelve-year cycle. That could lead some of those to have a fairly long "tail" as far as sales potential is concerned, since people who want to "collect them all" will likely be doing so for another decade or so.

Obviously as with any long-term future speculation, those factors could be thrown into question if, for instance, Lego releases all the Chinese zodiac figs at once in a future set or something. But I feel like in general the odds are good that those sets continue to appreciate in value for a good long while.
    gmonkey76KungFuKennyFizyx
    Lyichir said:
    jcb193 said:
    It's also potentially worth mentioning that the zodiac-related parts of those sets (like the costumed figs and some of the printed parts) are on that twelve-year cycle. That could lead some of those to have a fairly long "tail" as far as sales potential is concerned, since people who want to "collect them all" will likely be doing so for another decade or so.

Obviously as with any long-term future speculation, those factors could be thrown into question if, for instance, Lego releases all the Chinese zodiac figs at once in a future set or something. But I feel like in general the odds are good that those sets continue to appreciate in value for a good long while.
    Or they stop doing them in that style or altogether.  They did those lovely round tiles/plates for doors for Year of the Snake, then changed style completely the next year.
    FizyxKungFuKenny
    CCC said:
    Lyichir said:
    jcb193 said:

Or they stop doing them in that style or altogether.  They did those lovely round tiles/plates for doors for Year of the Snake, then changed style completely the next year.
    Oh, sure. But the difference here is that there's a bit more "momentum", so to speak. Since those earlier sets the sets have become a much bigger deal, getting a worldwide release and going strong with four years so far having costumed figs. It's obviously possible that Lego could change course in the future, but given how well these have done these past few years I'm not sure I see them wanting to mess with success.
    KungFuKennyFizyx
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 500
    Lyichir said:
    It's obviously possible that Lego could change course in the future, but given how well these have done these past few years I'm not sure I see them wanting to mess with success.

Considering they did just this with the revived and mostly recently successful HP line it's not a safe bet to think they won't change course at some point with the CNY sets. 
    autolycusgmonkey76
    I think they have already changed a little, recently introducing the dated hoodie with bull horns.
    karrit said:
    Lyichir said:
    It's obviously possible that Lego could change course in the future, but given how well these have done these past few years I'm not sure I see them wanting to mess with success.

Considering they did just this with the revived and mostly recently successful HP line it's not a safe bet to think they won't change course at some point with the CNY sets. 
    I dunno, I feel like there's a significant difference between sticking with something for a seasonal theme that gets two or three sets a year and doing so for a long-ended book series that Lego wants to continue wringing increasing amounts of merchandise from. It's unsurprising to me that Lego would rethink how their Hogwarts goes together and would repeat subjects like the Great Hall in a different compatibility standard, simply because if they didn't they'd be forced to instead try to adapt increasingly insignificant/uniconic settings in the same standard. Whereas conversely, it'd be incredibly easy for them to continue including costumed figs in the CTF sets since it's one fig that barely has to be connected to the subject matter of the set itself (whatever that may be).

Either way in terms of the topic of resale value, the aspect of these figs continuing or not doing so is whether they appreciate a lot (as new figs are released and the older sets become harder to come by) or just by a little (on the off-chance that Lego just stops including them and the older sets appreciate in value merely on the strength of their designs). I don't think there's a lot you would stand to LOSE by buying in while it's still fairly early in this "theme", and depending on whether or not they stick to the established pattern it could end up paying off even more than expected.
    Lyichir said:

Either way in terms of the topic of resale value, the aspect of these figs continuing or not doing so is whether they appreciate a lot (as new figs are released and the older sets become harder to come by) or just by a little (on the off-chance that Lego just stops including them and the older sets appreciate in value merely on the strength of their designs). I don't think there's a lot you would stand to LOSE by buying in while it's still fairly early in this "theme", and depending on whether or not they stick to the established pattern it could end up paying off even more than expected.
    The other big thing here is that the sets themselves are beautiful sets in their own right, and stand up well even if they did not have the special figures. To me, the costumed figures are fairly minor compared to the set, almost just an Easter egg to show the year of release rather than an incentive to buy the set. Take the figure away, they are still beautiful. If LEGO continue doing such high quality CNY sets, I'm not sure older ones will appreciate massively, if there is a continual and reasonably large supply of similar sets. They might also run out of traditional style buildings and the sets look somewhat similar year on year after a few years. 
    madforLEGOOnebricktoomanypxchris
    #10277 Crocodile Engine is 'Sold out' at LEGO.
    gmonkey76BumblepantsM_BossFollowsClosely
  • FireFox31FireFox31 NH, USAMember Posts: 158
    #75941 Indominus Rex vs. Ankylosaurus is sold out at Lego.com, local Lego stores, Amazon, and Target.  I swear it was available two weeks ago.  I waited just a tad too long for this, not fully able to justify the $100 price, wanting some discount.  I think the two dinosaurs will be in demand in the future.
    And yet, 2020 taught me that things I thought would retire might hang around for a long time.  I'll keep watching for 75941 and see if it comes back at retail price.
    FireFox31 said:
    #75941 Indominus Rex vs. Ankylosaurus is sold out at Lego.com, local Lego stores, Amazon, and Target.  I swear it was available two weeks ago.  I waited just a tad too long for this, not fully able to justify the $100 price, wanting some discount.  I think the two dinosaurs will be in demand in the future.
    And yet, 2020 taught me that things I thought would retire might hang around for a long time.  I'll keep watching for 75941 and see if it comes back at retail price.

Yeah, sadly its gone I think (and my brother wanted one as well) Im just watching Amazon, Target, eBay, etc to see if I can find one.
    560Heliport
    FireFox31 said:
    If you want it, it will sell out quickly when it goes. If you don't want it, it will hang around.

You need to check daily near retirement and if it goes out of stock at one store get it in another before it goes out of stock there too.
    Addicted2OxygenAstrobricksgmonkey76
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,049
    So, what's the thought of Vidiyo Bandmates Series 2?  Seems like these minifigs may have potential even though they are now more widely available for purchase, however, in little quantity online.  The Walmarts around me only got 15 of the Series 2 minifigs.  I haven't heard of other local stores having these in stock.  The 15 total is not alot, plus considering that these sold out quickly at the Lego online website, I see these minifigs easily making a push for a great return on investment.
    edited December 2021
    1265 said:
    So, what's the thought of Vidiyo Bandmates Series 2?  Seems like these minifigs may have potential even though they are now more widely available for purchase, however, in little quantity online.  The Walmarts around me only got 15 of the Series 2 minifigs.  I haven't heard of other local stores having these in stock.  The 15 total is not alot, plus considering that these sold out quickly at the Lego online website, I see these minifigs easily making a push for a great return on investment.
    While supply is low, the real question / bet here is will there be demand for them. I doubt there will be much demand to be Vidiyo complete, so maybe not so high demand for all figures. But I think there are some where the parts will be in demand.

Although prices are currently high, so maybe good for quick flips.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,049
    CCC said:
    1265 said:
    While supply is low, the real question / bet here is will there be demand for them. I doubt there will be much demand to be Vidiyo complete, so maybe not so high demand for all figures. But I think there are some where the parts will be in demand.

Although prices are currently high, so maybe good for quick flips.
    Since these have started to be widely available in the retail market, the demand will increase but at the same time may subside.  It's not yet known how the demand for these minifigures are, but the hype of being limited can cause the frenzy, which I can attest to, which causes folks to buy more than they want. :)   For online purchases, these sold out quickly, and from what's being seen and reported not many cases are being offered for sale from resellers.  Plus, retailers are limited to an amount being offered to resell.  It's obvious, Series 2 is much more limited than Series 1, which I think we can agree on that.  :)
    edited December 2021
    Yes, they seem to be more limited - at least for now. The main issue is are there loads that have already been produced that will get dumped via discounters once the series has retired - a bit like the last wave of Dimensions when loads of stock suddenly appeared very cheap. Or are they going to be drip fed into the market which keeps the prices high as they are hard to find. Or is this it and all produced stock is at retailers.

I think for now the easy answer is buy any you can and quick flip them, as they are already going for a reasonable price. I doubt they will double again in the next six months, so might as well take the money now if you buy them for resale and reinvest the proceeds. 
    Anybody clamoring for UniKitty CMFs?
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76OnebricktoomanyMarshallmarioshikadi
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,735
    I've been out of the LEGO loop for 5+ years, so apologies if the answer to this question is obvious. Is it likely 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay is permanently discontinued, or is it simply out of stock for the holiday season?