Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

1667668669670671673»

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,710
    lkliment2 said:

So it does, my bad.. Maybe the person I was talking to meant that since the original design was not a building, that it is a bit unstable (even with the base plate).
    Certainly possible! Looks like a cool build.

Agreed, I was looking into it for a Tower Bridge I have as my GF already has one so I did not need to give it to her for a Christmas present
    lkliment2
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 344
    Stonewars.de has a new article with what sets they believe will hit EOL in 2nd half of the year, based on info from multiple sources. If the list is accurate, I really need the supply issues to straighten out soon so I don’t start really stressing over a few sets. Glad I got the Hogwarts Great Hall already! 

Big sets I still need that are on their list, because I suspect their third party prices will get much higher:

Downtown Diner

Ideas Treehouse

Tantive IV

I’m surprised they have DD instead of AS, but maybe not since AS is a larger modular and is very popular like Parisian Restaurant. I’m also a little surprised their list has the Hogwarts Great Hall but not the Hogwarts Express.

Another big one for a lot of people, but not me: Death Star.

With the stock issues in North America, it’s a frustrating year, for sure. I had hoped stock would be getting better by now and that we might still have some chance of getting good promotions or discounts, but alas... I will probably just order those 3 priorities as soon as I see stock.
    Voltron86jnscoelho
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 494
    What I don't like from that list are the Friends Jungle Cubes. I didn't even see them online in [email protected]! And series 2 has been sold out for ages, since it came out. And by now my hopes of finding any of them in retail stores around here have faded...
    My girls will be very sad.
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,100
    Take it with a grain of salt, but the Brick Fan (which has been fairly reliable in the past) has a rumor that #21318 Tree House will be retired at the end of the year.  That seems premature but the reasoning was that there are a huge number of large Ideas sets in the pipeline and LEGO needs to make room on shelves.  
    madforLEGOReesesPieces
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 209
    How disappointing - #21318 is one of my favourite sets.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,710
    I take any 'lists' of sets being discontinued with a big grain of salt. With LEGO anything is possible, but I vaguely remember people saying Assembly Square was on last year's retire list as well. Tree house could be gone only if due to the other expensive Ideas sets coming out way for 2021 but it would be a bit surprising as I thought every Ideas set had a run of two years (and with Covid running stocks low I'm surprised if they do not somehow extend it a bit at least). The Downtown Diner going before AS would be a bit of a surprise though as well. I will say this, if you want one of these sets on their list (as Taj Mahal and DD are on the list in addition to the Tree house) and you see these sets on sale around Thanksgiving to Christmas, buy them as they are likely going for good.
    KungFuKenny
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 925
    I will say this, if you want one of these sets on their list (as Taj Mahal and DD are on the list in addition to the Tree house) and you see these sets on sale around Thanksgiving to Christmas, buy them as they are likely going for good.
    I second this as this has been the scenario for the past few years.  However, the way things are, I'm afraid there will be nothing left to be discounted.
    KungFuKennyAstrobricksgmonkey76
    The sets Brick Fan mentioned as retiring 2nd half of this year are all on the list StoneWars.de published.

the D2C sets StoneWars lists are:

VW T1 Camper Van
    VW Beetle
    Death Star
    Taj Mahal
    Downtown Diner
    Winter Village Fire Station
    Vestas Wind Turbine
    The Flintstones
    Steamboat Willie
    Tantive IV
    Treehouse
    Lion Dance
    Chinese New Year Temple Market

They also mention Hidden Side retiring fully.

Everything on their list is completely plausible and fits normal retirement timelines.

Assembly Square running later than Downtown Diner is the only big abnormality, but they’ve done that with popular modulars before.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,112
    ^ Third generation Death Star incoming?
    560HeliportAstrobricksautolycusBumblepantsSumoLegoMr_Crossgmonkey76
    Not likely this year, but 2021 wouldn’t shock me. Although if they really want symmetry, they should wait until 2023 and do a DS 2 remake. Even if they go play set like the current DS, I think they could give it interesting details to distinguish it.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,364
    I had no idea the Flintstones set was still going
    SumoLego
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 476
    Tantive IV is going early! That's definitely on my wishlist, I just need to find some display space :(
    Mr_Cross
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    Can't wait for the third generation playset I have no desire to purchase...
    BumblepantsRonyarVorpalRyu
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,112
    edited July 20
    Well, the third generation Death Star’s other name is Starkiller Base but I can’t imagine Lego ever being willing to do it at the same scale!

...wait does that make the Sith Star Destroyer the fourth generation Death Star?
    560HeliportMr_Crossgmonkey76
    ...wait does that make the Sith Star Destroyer the fourth generation Death Star?
    It's not round.  And planetary-ish.
    The_Rancor
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    I hope I live to see the day when the Death Star actually retires, like for good. And we can all see if it was worth buying some stock in or not. I remember seeing pictures of people with like 30x of 10188. Skipping Imperial Flagship or name the set because they were swinging for the fences. 
    KungFuKennyBumblepants
    SumoLego said:
    It's not round.  And planetary-ish.
    It's intergalactic though...

Mr_CrossSumoLegoKungFuKenny
    prevere said:
    I hope I live to see the day when the Death Star actually retires, like for good. And we can all see if it was worth buying some stock in or not. I remember seeing pictures of people with like 30x of 10188. Skipping Imperial Flagship or name the set because they were swinging for the fences. 
    The ultimate reseller triple threat: First gen Death Star playsets, Tower Bridge, and the VW Camper Van
    SumoLegoKungFuKennyFollowsCloselypreveregmonkey76
    I've been humming that to myself all morning.
    BumblepantsKungFuKennyMr_Cross
    The ultimate reseller triple threat: First gen Death Star playsets, Tower Bridge, and the VW Camper Van
    That is truly the disgruntled trinity for LEGO resellers.  But don't forget their investment counterparts - The Zombies, Town Hall and Cloud City...
    BumblepantsKungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,100
    SumoLego said:
    I've been humming that to myself all morning.
    “ Another dimension, another dimension...”
    SumoLegoMr_Cross
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 36
    Looks like 42113 V-22 just got discontinued and will have a very high secondary market value!
    BumblepantsMr_Cross
    Yeah there have to be a decent amount of these somewhere. I guess eBay is where they will end up as Lego will probably try and censor them off bricklink too. 

I'm hoping some already got shipped to Bulgaria and the shops here will not bother to stop selling them.
    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 277
    But would Lego have shipped any? Any they do have will be destroyed or the parts re used.
    But would Lego have shipped any? Any they do have will be destroyed or the parts re used.
    It has to be sent to shops by now if it was supposed to be on shelves next week.
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 714
    Is #75234 AT-AP a hot seller in the secondary market? Came across some at a discount. Trying to decide if it’s worth it.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,710
    It goes for just over RRP at the moment. It will probably rise a little more in future. 

As ever, whether it is a good investment really depends on the buy-in price.
    KungFuKennygmonkey76