Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

1664665666667668670»

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,161
    It would explain why my cats like to chew on pieces...
    madforLEGOCymbelineVorpalRyuKungFuKennyAanchir
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,553
    It'll go with your McDonald's Shamrock Shake.

(And both would probably still taste the same in September.)
    VorpalRyugmonkey76Jackad7
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,750
    It would explain why my cats like to chew on pieces...
    I’ve trained mine to retrieve pieces I dropped under the furniture :)

Or, rather, the cat does it anyway and I’m claiming credit!

CymbelineVorpalRyugmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,310
    JMaster said:
    This set won't come out till September, but do you think it'd be a good idea to save a mint Razor's Crest? As a long-term investment, of course...
    I wouldn't buy in September. There are two ways to make money: long term investment or quick flip hoping they are out of stock at Christmas. For a long term investment buy near the end of retail life.
    This is certainly fraught for profiteering at Christmas if they didn't order a bazillion of these things.  Razor Crest and Minecraft...
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 902
    The only time I’ve ever bought a set at release for investment was #41999 because it was limited edition.
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 22
    So at ShopLego.com in the US both the VW Beatle and the Camper Van are on backorder.
    Does this mean they will be back in stock or is it Lego speak for they are now discontinued?
    They have both been around awhile so now is a good time for me to panic.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,154
    It is completely ridiculous that the Camper Van is still for sale.
    thenosRonyarmadforLEGOpharmjodprevere
    And thus it will never be an investment since there are so many out there.
    And thus it will never be an investment since there are so many out there.
    People were undoubtedly stuffing these in a back closet for resale back in 2012 & '13
    Thanks for the comments, so you’re saying you think they are discontinued and if I want
    one for myself I should find one soon at a Lego store ? ( to build not to resell )
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 839
    edited March 4
    Thanks for the comments, so you’re saying you think they are discontinued and if I want
    one for myself I should find one soon at a Lego store ? ( to build not to resell )
    I believe they are saying that the sets will retire sometime between tomorrow and January 2028...🙂

(there is no “retiring soon” label so your guess is as good as any)
    Astrobricksgmonkey76
    Well, Tower Bridge had a solid ten year run. I’m guessing the camper van actually does retire this year (introduced in 2011). 
    madforLEGO
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,538
    I would speculate that the Camper van should retire before the Beetle (and then see the Bettle have a 10 yr run) but then again ....
    if you want to build them, get one now with the nice train freebie promo item and then get the other in a few weeks when its 2x vip points or some other promo has come along
    madforLEGOgmonkey76
    I’m going to be in Milwaukee tomorrow and they have a store there so I will let you know how it turns out. Really appreciate the input!
    madforLEGO
    I don't expect LEGO would ignore an exploitative opportunity to get a sales bump by announcing the retirement of the Camper.  Or the Beetle.

'Reitiring Soon'.... as we make the next batch and then it doesn't sell as well as a replacement product...
    Jackad7VorpalRyu
    SumoLego said:
    I don't expect LEGO would ignore an exploitative opportunity to get a sales bump by announcing the retirement of the Camper.  Or the Beetle.

'Reitiring Soon'.... as we make the next batch and then it doesn't sell as well as a replacement product...
    Legend tells of a warehouse still filled with the second run of Ideas Exo-Suits lost to logistics but forever in our hearts.
    gmonkey76SumoLegoKungFuKennyVorpalRyu
  • flat_fourflat_four Member Posts: 16
    SumoLego said:

Without wanting to feed the LEGO corporate money making machine ideas... they have totally missed a trick if they don't keep re-releasing this set but in different colours every few years. The number of existing fans who are "forced" to buy every colour variant of it... whilst, also allowing new people entering the hobby are able to buy a LEGO model of an iconic and popular piece of pop automotive history, without paying discontinued item mark-up...
    I'm sure there'd be more than one or two...
    I'd certainly be placing an order for a yellow, green, blue or every other colour version they release!!!😬😫
    560HeliportReesesPiecesSumoLegoVorpalRyusid3windr
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 808
    flat_four said:
    SumoLego said:

Without wanting to feed the LEGO corporate money making machine ideas... they have totally missed a trick if they don't keep re-releasing this set but in different colours every few years. The number of existing fans who are "forced" to buy every colour variant of it... whilst, also allowing new people entering the hobby are able to buy a LEGO model of an iconic and popular piece of pop automotive history, without paying discontinued item mark-up...
    I'm sure there'd be more than one or two...
    I'd certainly be placing an order for a yellow, green, blue or every other colour version they release!!!😬😫
    To be honest if they were to do something like that I'd hope they'd go for a full update. Just think of how much more accurate they could make the vehicle with all the small detail parts that have been introduced since way back in 2011!

KungFuKennyVorpalRyu
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    SumoLego said:

Legend tells of a warehouse still filled with the second run of Ideas Exo-Suits lost to logistics but forever in our hearts.

I think they are buried where all those ET Atari games went.
    KungFuKenny560HeliportVorpalRyu
    prevere said:
    SumoLego said:

I think they are buried where all those ET Atari games went.
    They dug those up!
    560HeliportVorpalRyuKungFuKennysid3windr
    Went to Lego store in Milwaukee yesterday and they did not have the Camper Van so I bought the Beatle. Also got the train GWP. Employee did not know if either was going to be or already was discontinued so he said call back in a week and see if we got any in. No vans online at Walmart or Target so we shall see if I waited too long.
    Marshallmario said:
    ...bought the Beatle...
    John or Paul?
    KungFuKenny560Heliportgmonkey76prevereGothamConstructionCoVorpalRyuBuriedinBricks
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 839
    SumoLego said:
    Marshallmario said:
    ...bought the Beatle...
    John or Paul?
    Too pricey... Ringo was on sale though...
    560Heliportgmonkey76SumoLegoGothamConstructionCoVorpalRyu
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,538
    Yeah but Ringo is always on sale
    KungFuKennyVorpalRyu
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 876
    Wait...I thought they all retired long ago except for paul!?!
    VorpalRyuSnizzlebutts